Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

GrimmSpeed Project L

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 11:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 07 Car
Old 01-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Originally Posted by BLUEJ20
Too light. GST L weighs more than 2000lbs.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 07 Car
fine 2655
Old 01-28-2008, 11:50 AM

Curb weight of a L coupe is 2760 and L sedan is 2720. You might be ballpark. Not sure what gas weighs or what the tank size is, but mine is 15.9 gallons or something.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:13 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
dark onion is closest but still low. remember about 70lbs of crap are in the car right now..tools, spare, etc
Old 01-28-2008, 04:44 PM

2800lbs?

Things I can think of - spare tire, 1/2 tank of gas, OEM jack, steel hood...
Old 02-03-2008, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by darkonion
2800lbs?

Things I can think of - spare tire, 1/2 tank of gas, OEM jack, steel hood...

yep, pretty close. total came to 2810. i'm happy with this as it means i'm around 2500 if i take on the stuff out of my car.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:35 PM

working on the launch control. finally we can get launch control via ecuflash so no more having to buy the AP just to get the launch control.(nothing wrong with AP but we need to be able to mess with the maps all the time)

video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV6TWmE3OSA

Justin
Old 03-19-2008, 06:07 PM

lets just say i'm glad i made the big skid plate. one of the reasons i made it was because i gut'd out the front bumber cover so much to fit the fmic that it didnt leave much of the bumper cover left. knowing we'd be doing alot of snow events and probably instantly destroy what was left of the bumper i scribed the skid plate to the bumper cover thus giving it much of its integrity back. well a few weekends ago i had a chance to test it out.

first pic here is of the aftermath, i cant believe i didnt puncture a whole into the radiator or completely rip off the bumper from what we were doing.

you can see me easily twisting/bending the bumper cover which would have been destroyed without the skid plate support.

and how it was tested?....well the front suspension was totally blown so every time i landed it bottomed out and slammed my nose into the snow ice.

needless to say the skid plate worked wonderfully and the bumper cover is perfect.

Justin
Old 03-20-2008, 09:10 AM

some of you were asking..

takeoff

Justin
Old 04-01-2008, 10:21 AM

couple fun things on the way...

Old 04-11-2008, 03:33 PM

After driving on the new BC Racing coilvers for a few days i realized i absolutely needed an alignment and corner balance. We have great local guy, Jeff The Aligment Guy www.thealignmentguy.com ...who did an awesome job. The handling is night and day difference. The typical subaru understeer is basically gone and a bit of oversteer is definitely there which is what i want.

I'm glad that i also got the car corner balanced while i was there because the corner weights were way out of whack prior to bringing it in.

We had a few issues with front caster and rear toe because in the front the ALK i have needs to be tweaked a bit and in the rear one of the lateral links is different so it wouldnt give him the toe that he wanted. So i need to fix those two things then bring her back in to get buttoned up.

I have an advanced driving control clinic next saturday and it couldnt come sooner..totally stoked to get this new setup on the track.

Corner balance numbers after.

Justin
Old 05-28-2008, 10:36 PM

finally got some more updates on this project...been so busy shipping all your parts out, havent had time to post pics up.

waited 4 weeks to get this from titan motorsports but it finally came. sparco 345 suede racing wheel.

ditched the wrx seats for these corbeau cr-1's. i had bought some sparco seats locally but they didnt fit me well at all so used these instead. they are alot narrower than the sparco so they fit nicely. they are SUPER low which is my only complaint...i even got the wrx style brackets from corbeau which are suppose to higher.

piece by piece i'm starting to get that fugly tan interior out. hit up the local junkyard and found the rear door cards and door sills in black/grey.

this is where it sits right now. complete vinyl wrap. car is going to be all white base layer with dark red metallic logos. i'm really pumped to get this project done because its going to totally transform the looks of the L.

Dom from www.getadomtune.com is working on the tune right now. we got it alot better than it was...just having wastegate issues right now so i can fully tune it right now. the power to weight ratio is definitely amazing compared to the wrx.

Justin
Old 05-28-2008, 11:12 PM

Interesting corner weight numbers. Yeah... I have something similar, but the total weight is about 100lbs less. Damn... I've seen to lost my piece of paper that told me what my corner weights were. I think the only problem is that my front driver side is about 50 lbs heavier than the passenger front side. Thinking about doing something to take care of that. Maybe lightweight battery or something.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:51 PM

more updates here. We finally got all the white vinyl laid. starting to take form.

next to do is get the dark red metallic graphics laid over the white base layer.

Quick Reply: GrimmSpeed Project L