Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

GrimmSpeed Project L

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:11 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
steering column/ shaft? i dontknow just tell us!!
Old 10-03-2007, 05:10 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Originally Posted by xhengmanx
steering column/ shaft? i dontknow just tell us!!

you are spot on!!! L&E Fabrication's quick ratio steering column for go kart like steering.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:12 AM

so one of the more annoying projects got done this week...getting the 05 WRX dash to fit into the L. there is alot of drilling new holes for brackets, sawzalling, swearing, etc to get it to fit right. i have to admit though...it all paid off because it looks awesome!! climate control in the race car FTW

Old 10-10-2007, 11:29 AM

so we had to cut some nasty holes in the firewall to get the wrx ac/heater core to fit so i figured now would be the time to put some shiny thermotec heatshield on to cover up the holes as much as possible and keep as much engine heat out of the cabin as possible.

some more awesome bushings that i got from L&E Fabrication..

steering rack. easiest bushing to put on the entire car. the rack was kinda a pita to get installed because of some rust issues.

SuperPro ALK bushings
definitely helped to have the press for these guys. make sure the center hole is towards the ground when installing.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Nice project. I can't wait to add my next toy to the L. Any tips on install rear lateral links? I am planning to do it this week, but it is kind of raining outside. I don't have a garage. Just one of those open car ports.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by darkonion
Nice project. I can't wait to add my next toy to the L. Any tips on install rear lateral links? I am planning to do it this week, but it is kind of raining outside. I don't have a garage. Just one of those open car ports.

you talking about the rear lateral links of the trailing arm? the lateral links are harder than the trailing arm. the biggest pain with the lateral links is that the long ***'d bolt that holds them onto the hub is going to be very rusted and stuck. pb blaster that sucker up alot before you even think about taking it off. also, one lateral link on each side has a connection that changes toe in/out..make sure you market where the bolts are turned to so you can reinstall at the same point.

Justin
Old 10-10-2007, 11:33 PM

Cool. We actually fought with that bolt back in March when we were doing the rear drum to disc conversion. I'll definitely blast that sucker with PB Blaster though. I be sure to note the toe adjustment as well.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by darkonion
Cool. We actually fought with that bolt back in March when we were doing the rear drum to disc conversion. I'll definitely blast that sucker with PB Blaster though. I be sure to note the toe adjustment as well.

also, when putting that long bolt back in use alot of antiseize. for that matter, ANY bolt you take out of the suspension, use aintiseize on it.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:27 AM

Thanks for all the tips. I really appreciate it.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:27 AM

Car Info: elcipse please dont make fun... thank you
this is a awsome thread to keep up with cant wait to see the final product keep it up
Old 10-11-2007, 12:43 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
whos black srt 4?
Old 10-12-2007, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by sigma pi
whos black srt 4?
employee. going to be twin turbo.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:52 PM

Car Info: 06 Armada, 03 WRX, 05 STi(sold), 05 Vette (sold)
Good stuff!
Old 10-15-2007, 10:44 AM

hydrolic ksport ebrake and wilwood brake proportion valve is 90% installed. just need to attached 2 flex stainless lines into the system but all the hard line have been run throughout the car. we made an awesome find...there is this new hard brake line that you can actually bend by hand and it wont crease. this made our lives a TON simpler. no more using the bending tool.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:48 PM

some more progress this past week.

Thanks to TurnInConcepts(www.turninconcepts.com) we scored some shifter and linkage bushing made by TiC and Kartboy(www.kartboy.com). These were some of the easier bushings to put on the car...something i definitely needed after doing alot of the other bushings. The shifter has a VERY notchy feel now which is totally awesome.

Also got some of the TiC Tranny Bushings which come in a sweet cherry blossom red. This involves taking off the tranny support so you will have to hold up the tranny with a jack while you do the mod.

Thanks to L&E Fabrication(www.landefabrication.com) we got this killer 1.5:1 Quick Ratio Steering Rack. I should be installing this in the next few days if i can find the time. its fun turing the steering wheel side slowly and watching how much more the steering rack end turns. absolutely cant wait to use this beast in autox.

Since i had the flywheel out i figured i would resurface it since it looks like the previous owner had a bit of fun with the car. got her to look pretty new after the resurface.

we are getting pretty close. need a few things like radiator, fuel tank cord of the harness, fuel lines, heater hose lines, and a few other random things but i'm finally

seeing the end getting closer.

Justin

Quick Reply: GrimmSpeed Project L