Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

Endura-Tech Hood Damper Kit Review (Pics Inside!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 07:47 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRB Subaru WRX STi
Endura-Tech Hood Damper Kit Review (Pics Inside!)

Product: Endura-Tech Hood Damper Kit
Application: 2004 Subaru WRX/Impreza GD/GG
Kit Contents:
- Installation manual
- Bonnet dampers (qty- 2)
- M6 ball joints (qty– 2)
- Stickers (qty- 2)

Name:  damperkit1.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  29.3 KB

Installation (as written in the manual):
1. Open the hood and hold with stopper.
2. Of the three bolts supporting the fender, remove the middle bolt then in its place, screw one of the supplied M6 ball joints. Torque it to 1.0kgf.m (Be cautious use a torque wrench when tightening to specific pressures. You would risk the event of breaking the screws.)

Name:  damperkit2.jpg
Size:  51.8 KB

3. Of the hinge bolts, remove the top bolt. Set layered side of the hood damper stay toward the hinge side. Hook top layer on top of hinge and tighten with middle bolt. (There are dampers made specifically for the left and right side. You will want to fit the dampener to the “outer” section of the hinge.) Repeat step on other side.

Name:  damperkit3.jpg
Size:  61.2 KB

4. Press the socket at the tip of the damper rod onto the ball joint screwed onto fender. (If socket is not facing ball joint, rotate with pliers to turn towards appropriate direction.) Also, check to make sure socket is fully locked in and will not loosen.
5. If left and right ends of the weather strip at the cowl grill stick out at the fenders, cut shaded section indicated in the picture at the right (shaded area of strip will apply unwanted pressure to the damper and cause disfigurement).

Name:  damperkit4.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  33.3 KB

6. Slowly close hood. Check to see if damper is not interfering with hood and the fender. Should they interfere, adjust either height of the stay rubber at the front-side or adjust stay position by loosening its bolt, rearranging position and tightening once placement is set.

Name:  damperkit5.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  53.1 KB

Review:
When I first looked at the dampers, I was very impressed by the quality. The carbon fiber weave was straight and even all the way around. The machining of the rods were very nice as well. Overall, the quality is top notch. I have taken a look at other dampers such as REDLINE, TEIN, and NRG, but I could honestly see the difference in workmanship. As for the install, it was a cakewalk. The installation was done in roughly 15 minutes without any hitches. The most trouble I had was to find what size the fender bolt was (which I believe is a 10mm). The instructions were clear, straight forward, and had the answer for any trouble. I didn’t have to do any adjustments with the bonnet stays or the dampers. They just popped in and it was over. As for the open and close action of the dampers, they are very nice. It does its job in holding the weight of a stock and carbon hood and the closing action is good as well. I definitely recommend these dampers if you are tired of that ugly old school kickstand and want to get rid of it since it can sometimes get in the way when you are doing motor work and want to accent and dress that engine bay up with a little carbon fiber. And with that, that’s my two cents.

WRXdrift
Old 04-17-2006, 10:23 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI CGM
How much do these cost?
Old 04-17-2006, 10:46 AM

I don't hve a price for them, but you can get them at an introductory price here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...6&page=1&pp=25
Old 04-17-2006, 11:01 AM

Car Info: The ladies wild
great wrightup!
Old 04-17-2006, 07:37 PM

Thanks.

You can expect to see another one of their new coilovers coming soon. I just got the package a week ago and I'm very impressed.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:14 PM

Car Info: WREX
Their website shows a price of $169
Old 04-20-2006, 01:22 AM

Car Info: car
great write up, good looking product!
Old 04-20-2006, 08:19 AM

thanks.

from p&l motorsports at nasioc, you can get them for 160. they are the sole distrubutor endura-tech as right now. hope that helps.