Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

Electra's Boy Blue - 07 STi - Build etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 02:46 AM

Car Info: drives a STi
Originally Posted by Electra
Of course I remember you, Rob, right? Long time no talk! What's up!? [oh you ninja edited in your name! lol]
Eventually I will be upgrading the turbo but right now I'd like to focus on suspension and smaller things first.
Thanks for the kind words. For a second I was like "sounding good? When did he hear my---oh, yeah" lol blonde moment!!
What's new with your ride?

Yes, One day you will own an STI
Wasup Rachel! Yeah I wasn't sure if u remembered me lol I have that common asian look haha. Yeah long time no talk. I've been trying to keep busy and same ole ish for me lol. Yeah it's good to get the lil things out of the way on your suby and build up from there as far as mods.

Yeah I remember on a weekend when I was visiting my gf @ CSUMB I saw u jammin on up the North quad of the parking lot. I wasn't sure if u saw me and my friends as we were just leaving. You're ride sounds mean.

As for my ride it's basically the same since u last saw it. Just added more stickers for more hp lol.

I'll see ya around.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:06 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRX TR
So I am super green in this arena, and I don't have an STi (or std for that matter, and sadly the new name for std's is sti) merely a lowly TR, but I've driven a sweet RS with the Koni/Ground Control strut conversion and it rode so well that I'm selling my Tokico D-specs with STi springs to partially fund the Koni/GC setup for my TR.

I think you have to get pretty aggressive with the suspension setup on these chassis to get them to do what you want on the track.

Sweet STi though, I can't wait until I also have a grown-up budget for my car. Two more years baby!!!

Oh yeah, you can run a way fatter rear bar, I have a 27mm bar right now and could go even fatter.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Amazons Kick Ass

Car Info: 07 STi
Originally Posted by Oh 4 panda
Hello lady how ya doin?! hollerrr!! can i get yo numba baby guhh?!haha jkjk <33

Your car looks so the sex Can our cars bang?! lol

But really though. I lovers your car! Hrmm you have 2 lifts eh? you lucky boogerhead! share the wealth!

But really, nice car. You got hella stuff in it already! i am so so the jealous! My car looks like a loser compared to yours i'm gonna go run & hide in my trunk; that way my car doesn't look like such a loser! haha

But anywho, good luck on your build!
Hey pretty lady!! Thanks for stoppin by my thread!
Heck yes they can! As long as they're gentle baby!
Just one two post lift. My dad and I decided that since he had back problems and I had hip problems that working on the cold floor wasn't the best idea. So we saved and invested in a Ben Pak lift. Pretty much saved me so much pain I cannot tell you lol
Don't hide in your car! Your car is awesome! It isnt a loser at all!!!
Let me know if you need help working on it! I am here to help a fellow SUbie gal

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
Finally! Boy Blue has a thread!

In my endless research on handling mods (since that is pretty much all I can do because in my eyes my car's power is already maxed out) I have found that suspension-wise Coilovers are going to be the way to go. There is the common misconception that with Coilovers the car is going to be hella low and stiff. That's not necessarily true. Coilovers are adjustable and most people set them to the lowest and stiffest setting which isn't always the best for performance. You can raise the car and give it a moderate, controlled ride.

I would suggest looking into a set of KW Variant 3 Coilovers. I have been hearing good things about them and they have been recommended to to me by a few people who really know there stuff when it comes to suspension and handling.

Along with the Coilovers I also suggest getting some Sway bars. Whiteline has some good stuff and all of the sizes they make they also make adjustable. So you can adjust them to suit your driving style.

And of course some bracing. I have been hearing good things about rear strut bars but with your subs it might be a little tricky to get one in. But under carriage bracing isn't a bad idea either.

And I can't let this get by. Some wider wheels and tires along with a proper alignment. and you should be good to go. With just the wheels and tires alone you will see immediate results.

But then again this is just some jackass that has a stupid loud 2.5i.
I know, poor boy blue, took me long enough to start him a build thread
I am sure he is eternally grateful
Thanks for the leads, I will look into them!
Another brand that was brought to my attention was a set of DSM coilovers. So I am researching those as well.
Wider wheels and tires are on my list, as soon as these tires need to be replaced I want to change out the whole set. It may be a while though since I bought the tires the first week I had the car
I have been researching wheels for a while. I know want to go a bit wider but once again, not too much. I am thinking of just getting a simpler gold wheel or a bronze set similar to the ones that LIC used to have on their TA. car. A girl still needs her bling after all

Originally Posted by 05_WRex
Wasup Rachel! Yeah I wasn't sure if u remembered me lol I have that common asian look haha. Yeah long time no talk. I've been trying to keep busy and same ole ish for me lol. Yeah it's good to get the lil things out of the way on your suby and build up from there as far as mods.

Yeah I remember on a weekend when I was visiting my gf @ CSUMB I saw u jammin on up the North quad of the parking lot. I wasn't sure if u saw me and my friends as we were just leaving. You're ride sounds mean.

As for my ride it's basically the same since u last saw it. Just added more stickers for more hp lol.

I'll see ya around.
I remember you! I even remembered your name! [which makes me happy because my memory sucks]
I did see you at CSUMB that day! I remember that now. Yeah I jammed through that parking lot a lot. I even was pulled over by a cop that told me "this isnt a race track you know" and I laughed so hard. I didnt mean to but I couldn't stop it! lol Lucky the passsenger in the car at the time was a campus cop too!
I still have the pic I took for the sighting thread!
Name:  IMG_0258b.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  91.2 KB

More stickers = more HP for sure!!!
Good luck with the mods! I cant wait to see what else you do with your ride

Originally Posted by adriank
So I am super green in this arena, and I don't have an STi (or std for that matter, and sadly the new name for std's is sti) merely a lowly TR, but I've driven a sweet RS with the Koni/Ground Control strut conversion and it rode so well that I'm selling my Tokico D-specs with STi springs to partially fund the Koni/GC setup for my TR.

I think you have to get pretty aggressive with the suspension setup on these chassis to get them to do what you want on the track.

Sweet STi though, I can't wait until I also have a grown-up budget for my car. Two more years baby!!!

Oh yeah, you can run a way fatter rear bar, I have a 27mm bar right now and could go even fatter.
Adrian, for some reason your posts always make me giggle. That have that air of sarcasm that rocks.
Thanks for the kind words and I know one day your car will be freakin awesome! Almost there! Two years!
I do need a fatty bar for the rear end... [no 'giggitys' on that one please).
Old 03-07-2010, 10:28 AM

Car Info: FR-S + WRB Bugeye.
car is looking great! Here's my two cents

Suspension: like previously stated by some, AGX KYBs and swift springs if you like the idea of adjustability. that setup would be more than satisfying for you I'm sure. Since you don't "smash" your car. You like spirited driving every once in awhile, but still want to maintain daily drivability, and still a great setup for a track day.(I'm going with this spring and shock combo myself) The GR2 KYBs are non-adjustable and set at the same setting as the AGX is at setting 2 of the 4. So think about whether you would adjust if you had the ability, if not, save some money and go with the GR2s. Talk to Noah at LIC, he can school you on them, and they carry them in stock.

Engine: You already have a tune on your STi, I'm sure it is producing plenty of power for you already. Maybe look into a clutch and flywheel combo. With a lightened flywheel you'll feel like you're driving a completely different car. And a good clutch will make your "fun drives" even better. Good mod if you're happy with what you have and want to change things up, it will feel like you have more power to, and engine response will be increased.

Interior: A rollcage is a horrible idea for a street driven car. You may think you're safer, but unless you're wearing a helmet in the event you get in a crash, and your head hits one of the bars, your head will pop like a watermelon. So the peace of mind for your family really isn't there. If you just have to change something in the interior but don't know what, try a new drivers seat or steering wheel. Two of the best upgrades to change the feel of your car if you're bored with a current setup. And maybe a shift ****.(can't remember if you have one already)

Sways: Change the rear to a thicker bar if you want the rear to "tighten up" and help give the car a "over-steer" feel to it. Leave the front sway alone IMO. Endlinks front and rear should help stiffen the system up. Also look into the Aluminum control arms by STi/SPT. Reasonably priced at around $380 new, and a great up grade to improve straight line stability, and stock ones flex in hard cornering. So it would give you a more stable line while taking the twisties. Again talk to Noah about a good sway bar/endlink setup since you take your car there, he can point you in the right direction.

Brakes: your setup is great so no work needed there

Overall you have a great car already, and though you may feel inferior when you look at other people's cars, take pride in owning a clean STi. And remember that it's a STi and that all of us bugeye and WRX owners alike, will always drool at your car for that fact alone. Great car once again, and look forward to seeing what's in store for "Boy Blue" in the future.

p.s. thank you for reading this long post

Last edited by Alliedforces86; 03-07-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Amazons Kick Ass

Originally Posted by Alliedforces86
car is looking great! Here's my two cents

Suspension: like previously stated by some, AGX KYBs and swift springs if you like the idea of adjustability. that setup would be more than satisfying for you I'm sure. Since you don't "smash" your car. You like spirited driving every once in awhile, but still want to maintain daily drivability, and still a great setup for a track day.(I'm going with this spring and shock combo myself) The GR2 KYBs are non-adjustable and set at the same setting as the AGX is at setting 2 of the 4. So think about whether you would adjust if you had the ability, if not, save some money and go with the GR2s. Talk to Noah at LIC, he can school you on them, and they carry them in stock.
I will talk to Noah for sure since he sees the car and the results of my driving style. Or maybe he will chime in, in the thread
Luckily I dont need to maintain daily drivability. I was lucky enough that both myself and my truck survived a pretty bad wreck in Sept of last year and I am still able to use the truck as my DD [not that its fuel efficient but oh well, I cant help but mod all of my vehicles].

Engine: You already have a tune on your STi, I'm sure it is producing plenty of power for you already. Maybe look into a clutch and flywheel combo. With a lightened flywheel you'll feel like you're driving a completely different car. And a good clutch will make your "fun drives" even better. Good mod if you're happy with what you have and want to change things up, it will feel like you have more power to, and engine response will be increased.
I will check into those. Any recommended companies/brands? I have heard so many different companies mentioned on the forums I am not sure who the best/a good one to go with it.
Any testimonials on other clutches/flywheels?

Interior: A rollcage is a horrible idea for a street driven car. You may think you're safer, but unless you're wearing a helmet in the event you get in a crash, and your head hits one of the bars, your head will pop like a watermelon. So the peace of mind for your family really isn't there. If you just have to change something in the interior but don't know what, try a new drivers seat or steering wheel. Two of the best upgrades to change the feel of your car if you're bored with a current setup. And maybe a shift ****.(can't remember if you have one already)
Good point on the roll cage. Like I said it is a huge investment and I am not really prepared to make that.
I will just stick with the harness bar and harnesses I have. I really like them. I had to changed out the belt connectors, removing the OEM clips on the Takatas and replacing them with "H" style clips from DJ Safety in LA. I used them for harnesses for my Jeep and they are a great company to buy accessories like that from.
I would love to ditch the STI steering wheel. For some reason I have never likes the looks of it. But knowing me, I will try to replace it and somehow kill myself on the airbag.
I dont have a shift **** as of yet. I would LOVE to find the shift **** from the end of "Hot Fuzz", the all white one that says "HF" on the top of that bad *** cop car I usually like a **** with a bit of weight to it and want to find something that feels right.

Sways: Change the rear to a thicker bar if you want the rear to "tighten up" and help give the car a "over-steer" feel to it. Leave the front sway alone IMO. Endlinks front and rear should help stiffen the system up. Also look into the Aluminum control arms by STi/SPT. Reasonably priced at around $380 new, and a great up grade to improve straight line stability, and stock ones flex in hard cornering. So it would give you a more stable line while taking the twisties. Again talk to Noah about a good sway bar/endlink setup since you take your car there, he can point you in the right direction.
I will hit up Noah. Poor Noah I am going to start to really annoy him

Brakes: your setup is great so no work needed there
w00t!

Overall you have a great car already, and though you may feel inferior when you look at other people's cars, take pride in owning a clean STi. And remember that it's a STi and that all of us bugeye and WRX owners alike, will always drool at your car for that fact alone. Great car once again, and look forward to seeing what's in store for "Boy Blue" in the future.

p.s. thank you for reading this long post
Thanks for the kind words. I have always loved my car no matter how 'horrible' other people think it looks. I just get nervous throwing it out there on the forums.
Thanks again for your help and I appreciate your response!
I threw this thread up there not really expecting a lot of feedback but all of you have been so incredibly helpful. Thank you!

PS Thanks for posting that long post!
[you have no idea how hard it was to reply on a laptop that is on its last leg in a place with horrible internet service, lol. Remind me not to take my laptop to work sites ]
Old 03-07-2010, 11:09 PM

Car Info: Java Black 04' STI
[QUOTE=JourdanWithaU;2827826]Finally! Boy Blue has a thread!

"I would suggest looking into a set of KW Variant 3 Coilovers. I have been hearing good things about them and they have been recommended to to me by a few people who really know there stuff when it comes to suspension and handling."

I agree the KW V3's are among the best around. They have alot of adjustability and have the best ride. Not too stiff and won't rattle your teeth out or upset your woman parts
Do the sways now, cuz you may need to save a little for the coilovers. Going the coilover route will probably save you $ in the long run because eventually you will probably need/want them. So save your $ for the coilovers is my point and pass on the springs.
As far as the sway bars, definately get adjustables and don't be lazy...do them both. In general they are designed to used in conjuction w/ each other. IMO get the Kartboy endlinks when you do this. Believe it or not the endlinks make a difference.
Also do the short shifter with kartboy bushings yourself. It is not that hard and makes a fun and sporty difference.
Otherwise keep up the great work. What you have already done is nothing the sneeze at. And don't trip off the haters that try to make you feel less than. They are just typical bullies that have their issues...Like small you know what's.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:44 AM
Amazons Kick Ass

Originally Posted by Wally's World
I agree the KW V3's are among the best around. They have alot of adjustability and have the best ride. Not too stiff and won't rattle your teeth out or upset your woman parts
Do the sways now, cuz you may need to save a little for the coilovers. Going the coilover route will probably save you $ in the long run because eventually you will probably need/want them. So save your $ for the coilovers is my point and pass on the springs.
As far as the sway bars, definately get adjustables and don't be lazy...do them both. In general they are designed to used in conjuction w/ each other. IMO get the Kartboy endlinks when you do this. Believe it or not the endlinks make a difference.
Also do the short shifter with kartboy bushings yourself. It is not that hard and makes a fun and sporty difference.
Otherwise keep up the great work. What you have already done is nothing the sneeze at. And don't trip off the haters that try to make you feel less than. They are just typical bullies that have their issues...Like small you know what's.
Thanks for the advice.
I will look into the Kartboy endlinks, I know I have seen pictures of them [the wonders of Tom's facebook] but I dont know any specs/details.

Thanks for the reply and the kind words, I appreciate it.
lol "small you know whats" lol thats awesome.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:34 AM

Car Info: 2008 WRX
You go to school at CSUMB? and yay for Capitol Subaru!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Amazons Kick Ass

Originally Posted by SJwrx08
You go to school at CSUMB? and yay for Capitol Subaru!
I didn't but my best friend did and I spent a lot of time down there. Basically getting into trouble. I prefer the weather in Monterey/PG to Morgan Hill/Gilroy anytime, so when it was really hot up here last summer I just went to school and hung out with her.

Yay Capitol!

Last edited by Electra; 03-08-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
you got PM and email

-Noah
Old 03-08-2010, 01:37 PM

Car Info: 4日本車
When I had my 04 STi with stock suspension, I used to scrape the front bumper if I went out on a nasty, uneven-surface dirt road at anything over 2-3mph. Could you clarify how important/how often you will need to traverse these dirt roads that you mentioned? Would you also let us know a rough idea of your budget, as it is a primary factor in recommending upgrades of ANY sort. Those things would help us all recommend useful suspension upgrades for your STi.

Glad to see you started a build thread!
Old 03-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Amazons Kick Ass

Originally Posted by LICmotorsports
you got PM and email

-Noah
Thanks Noah, thats why I love LIC, the best evar!!

Originally Posted by vodka
When I had my 04 STi with stock suspension, I used to scrape the front bumper if I went out on a nasty, uneven-surface dirt road at anything over 2-3mph. Could you clarify how important/how often you will need to traverse these dirt roads that you mentioned? Would you also let us know a rough idea of your budget, as it is a primary factor in recommending upgrades of ANY sort. Those things would help us all recommend useful suspension upgrades for your STi.

Glad to see you started a build thread!
I live out in the middle of the country, so the roads are paved, but poorly done. So if I go faster than 10 mph I tend to take a beating and occasionally scrape. In the Mustang I could never get out of 1st gear on the road leading to my street.
The roads don't necessarily get muddy, but of they do I take my truck [lifted, makes more sense]. It is just a pain to get in and out of the neighborhood on crappy county asphalt. Talk about potholes!!

At this point I don't have a set budget, I want to get a feel for what might be recommended for the car, just as a whole. Like I said before I don't really have vast knowledge of suspension and I wanted to see what is out there and would be something I could utilize. But with the being said, I love my car [I've been told far too much] and I don't have a problem spending a decent amount of money on it. I have before and I wouldn't mind doing it again.
I generally wanted to tap the minds and knowledge of other folks first before I set my sights on something specific. Does that make sense at all?

Thanks! I am glad too. Took me a while [due to hesitation about catching crap from forum members] but I finally post Blue up

And thanks for the reply too
Old 03-09-2010, 08:55 AM

Car Info: '06 WRB STI
Hmmm where to start, where to start....

Suspension: Whoever said adjustable coilovers are the way to go is absolutely spot on. It will allow you to be relatively loose and high ride for day-to-day driving and you can adjust it down for track days, rally-x, etc. The question is what to buy, and there is a strong temptation for a lot of people to buy a $1,000 set of coil-overs just so they can have them. THIS IS A MISTAKE. Speaking very very generally, I would anticipate spending at least $2-2.5k on a set of decent adjustable coilovers that won't grind your teeth into dust in a couple weeks. The high end, and what I hope to put on my STI someday, are a set of Ohlin's Coilovers, which run 3.5-4k for a set. One other note on suspension, unless you are creating a pure track car DO NOT USE PILLOWBALL MOUNTS. Use the stock or Group-N Rubber mounts as a tophat on the coilover. I know the roads you drive on Rachel, trust me on this one.

Engine Mods: Seeing as I've driven with you (and more importantly Bryan driving your car) I finally noticed the difference between your Stage 2 and my tuned stock engine. But where to go from here? The next step in my mind is a bigger turbo, bigger injectors, and a better downpipe. After all that is installed, you'll desperately need a new Tune, at which point you can decide how high you want to take it.

The steps after that start getting really expensive, and you start talking about bored cylinders, a billet crankshaft and new Heads. At this point we're talking 10-15k.

Brakes: You're fine, no adjustment needed. Though long term, you may consider going to 18" wheels, and upgrading your caliper and brake rotor to larger models.

Exhaust: As I mentioned, you desperately need a new DP, and I know you want your exhaust to sound differently. Ergo you need an exhaust you like.

Interior: You need some new seats, and so do I. I like Recaro's but to each his own....

Exterior: You have lots of options, including CF Mirrors (which aren't that expensive), CF Doors/fenders (which are).

Think that's all I have to offer atm!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Amazons Kick Ass

Originally Posted by PaulSTI
Hmmm where to start, where to start....

Suspension: Whoever said adjustable coilovers are the way to go is absolutely spot on. It will allow you to be relatively loose and high ride for day-to-day driving and you can adjust it down for track days, rally-x, etc. The question is what to buy, and there is a strong temptation for a lot of people to buy a $1,000 set of coil-overs just so they can have them. THIS IS A MISTAKE. Speaking very very generally, I would anticipate spending at least $2-2.5k on a set of decent adjustable coilovers that won't grind your teeth into dust in a couple weeks. The high end, and what I hope to put on my STI someday, are a set of Ohlin's Coilovers, which run 3.5-4k for a set. One other note on suspension, unless you are creating a pure track car DO NOT USE PILLOWBALL MOUNTS. Use the stock or Group-N Rubber mounts as a tophat on the coilover. I know the roads you drive on Rachel, trust me on this one.
Oh hey there Paul. Thanks for the reply. [insert sarcastic biting comment here].
I figured you would have some insight since you have driven in front/behind/next to my car and have driven the super bumpy curby roads with me.
Thanks for the advice. I am pretty much researching everything and I have looked into Ohlins as well. Still in research phase 1!

Engine Mods: Seeing as I've driven with you (and more importantly Bryan driving your car) I finally noticed the difference between your Stage 2 and my tuned stock engine. But where to go from here? The next step in my mind is a bigger turbo, bigger injectors, and a better downpipe. After all that is installed, you'll desperately need a new Tune, at which point you can decide how high you want to take it.The steps after that start getting really expensive, and you start talking about bored cylinders, a billet crankshaft and new Heads. At this point we're talking 10-15k.
Its sad that my car is fast, but when I had it over to my boyfriend he makes that car do wicked wicked things
Eventually I do want to upgrade the turbo and add supporting mods and tune. But thats a bit down the road. And you know I will be asking advice then too

Brakes: You're fine, no adjustment needed. Though long term, you may consider going to 18" wheels, and upgrading your caliper and brake rotor to larger models.
Wheels will be bigger once the tires wear down. I like the look of 18"s on the car but I havent decided what wheels and which size I would like.

Exhaust: As I mentioned, you desperately need a new DP, and I know you want your exhaust to sound differently. Ergo you need an exhaust you like.
I actually love my exhaust sound, though I am always a fan of louder.

Interior: You need some new seats, and so do I. I like Recaro's but to each his own....
Exterior: You have lots of options, including CF Mirrors (which aren't that expensive), CF Doors/fenders (which are).
Think that's all I have to offer atm!
I forgot to put in the OP that I have the JDM V8 seats installed and they are uncomfortable after a long period of time. Seriously, for a chick with an hips/*** its horrible. I eventually want to upgrade to Bride or Sparco seats in the front. I have been in Recaro's on several situations and I havent found one that I like and feel comfortable enough in to buy for myself.
As for more CF, I may eventually go that route but right now I am satisfied with the CF I have

Thanks for the reply Paul! I know you're busy and I appreciate you taking the time to answer.
But I guess you have to be nice to me, I can always embarass you in my speech at your wedding if you're not jk jk
Old 03-09-2010, 11:09 AM

Car Info: '06 WRB STI
Originally Posted by Electra
But I guess you have to be nice to me, I can always embarass you in my speech at your wedding if you're not jk jk
Can't be any worse that what my brother will end up saying, I'm sure.

Quick Reply: Electra's Boy Blue - 07 STi - Build etc