Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

Cusco 7pt Chromoly Roll Cage in my '02 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 04:31 AM

Car Info: Visit my homepage to see everything I have done.
Originally Posted by prototypeWRX
I don't think that harness belt setup will bolt to the frame w/ the cusco cage in there. The center side bars are in there pretty snug.. But you can just bolt your harnesses to the chasis under the rear seats.
Harnesses need to be attached around a 90* angle out of the back of the seat (read straight back). If you just take the harness through the seat and run it down to the seat bracket bolts it could compress your spinal column in the event of a rollover and possibly paralyze you, or even worse kill you. I am not sure if the angle created by running it to the spots under the rear seat is within the right range.

This was taken from http://www.circletrack.com/techarticles/76778/
If the upper attachment point falls significantly below the driver’s shoulder, then a spinal compression injury is likely to occur. In an accident, the shoulder belts pull down and back on the torso as they resist the forward motion of the driver. The resultant restraint force compresses the spinal column and will add to the stresses in the spine already caused by the force of the crash impact.

In the opposite situation, if the trailing ends of the harness are too far above the shoulder (greater than 30 degrees), then two problems can occur. First, tension in the shoulder harness is increased and undue stress is applied to the harness and its structural attachments. Second, excessive angle will cause excessive motion. If the harness belts are too far above the shoulder, they will provide little resistance to forward motion of the driver’s upper torso. The result is an impact with the steering wheel and the possibility of neck injury. The shoulder straps should also be three to six inches apart behind the driver’s neck to prevent slippage off the shoulders.

Nick
Old 07-02-2004, 05:03 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: GF8 ver6
Rear seatbelt anchor is a good place to put the eye-bolt for the shoulder belt.
I have Takata belts and the instruction says to use there.
It also mentions about the angle of the shoulder belts but the rear stock seatbelt anchor is an acceptable angle and it is FIA certified.

I think those harness bars are just weight.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:26 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Impreza Bugeye STI
Now I'm not sure how true this is, but I've heard that in California - wearing a harness doesn't count as "wearing your seatbelt" and is punishable by whatever the seatbelt law is. Not that police give people a hard time for it too often, but they can. Something to do with not only harnesses not being unapproved by the safety whomever, but the installs as well.

Any body know if this is true?
Old 07-02-2004, 10:49 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
can you not attach the harness to the harness bar like i see some peoploe do?

i think that looks better, i dont know about safety wise tho, or if it FIA approved
Old 07-02-2004, 11:08 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
Originally Posted by prototypeWRX
Now I'm not sure how true this is, but I've heard that in California - wearing a harness doesn't count as "wearing your seatbelt" and is punishable by whatever the seatbelt law is. Not that police give people a hard time for it too often, but they can. Something to do with not only harnesses not being unapproved by the safety whomever, but the installs as well.

Any body know if this is true?

not sure but for some seatbelts it says DOT approved or not DOT approved. so the ones that are DOT are ok for street.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Impreza Bugeye STI
Angry

Originally Posted by sighborg
the cage looks cool, but it also sorta looks like its made out of a swingset. How funtional is it?
Are you serious?!?!
It's Cusco, one of the best IMO... That and if you read the rest of the thread, it's very functional, both for safety and stiffening the chasis.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Someone needs to offer one for the wagon.