Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

Calculated Risk's Time Attack STi

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 04:36 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRB STi, 92 VW Jetta
Originally Posted by SubaruCrazy
Hey Evan,
Car looks great. Looking forward to the next time we are both at the track and maybe you can take me for a ride since a lot has changed since last time I was riding shotgun.

-Greg
You are totally welcome to a ride. Just hit me up next time your are out.

I believe the car will be stopping by GST tomorrow, and heading up to the Mt. Hamilton event as well.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:34 PM

Car Info: 05 LGT Wagon 5spd, '11 R6 Race
no ways!
sick car dude, ill see you there
Old 08-27-2007, 03:28 PM

Update:

I had brought the car to the dyno to receive a return for 100oct gas. The car gets setup and starts the initial pulls. We put in some 100oct gas and start the new pulls. Shortly their after Mike Warfield comes out with this stern look on his face, "Turbo is blown"

However it wasn't as bad as I had initially thought. While "blown" the turbo wasn't dead. It was not able to hold more than 19psi and it would drop to 13psi at redline. According to Mike the VF39 has a casting design flaw which sometimes will cause cracks at the waste-gate and prevent the turbo from holding boost pressure. The car still runs very strong but doesn't pull hard at all up in the RPM range. With this info in mind I am going to complete the setup of the car and then this winter try and remove the turbo to fix it or just outright replace it.

Evan
Old 08-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Dang, that sucks to hear. I guess that's just the way the world works. Your project car looks awesome. I kind of want a rear diffuser now. Haha.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:59 AM

Car Info: was a 02 wrx now a beast
who did your cage? I am looking for somone that can do on for my car that is local. manly because want to use harneses but I am not a big fan of them w/o a cage. they are to dangerouse w/o one. pm me if you can.... thanks

-Tristan

Last edited by Evil Empire; 08-29-2007 at 04:01 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:16 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 06 STI
You guys going to run this at the Tuner Shootout next month?
Old 08-29-2007, 08:26 AM

Car Info: 08 STI
Hey Evan, it didn't occur to me when we were looking at your car at Mt. Ham, but where's your exhaust exiting now with that bat wing diffuser?
Old 08-30-2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Evil Empire
who did your cage? I am looking for somone that can do on for my car that is local. manly because want to use harneses but I am not a big fan of them w/o a cage. they are to dangerouse w/o one. pm me if you can.... thanks

-Tristan

Calculated Risk did all of the cage work. You can contact them at 530-677-2381, and they are located in Cameron Park, just outside of Sacramento. Give them a call and they will take care of you.

Evan
Old 09-04-2007, 07:29 PM

Car Info: #93 Koni Challegne Subaru Legacy GT, 96 Impreza L
Originally Posted by sirhankwilliams
Hey Evan, it didn't occur to me when we were looking at your car at Mt. Ham, but where's your exhaust exiting now with that bat wing diffuser?
We did a custom 3" mandrel bent exhaust that exits between the diffuser and the bumper cover. Once we finish the underbody the exhaust will be completely up out of the airflow of the rear of the car maximizing the efficiency of the diffuser.

-Brian
Old 10-18-2007, 01:16 PM

Update: Flatbottom Completed

After the last track, event we decided that the car really needed to have the flat bottom completed and we had to do something about the gold wheels that now looked totally out of place on the car.

Calculated Risk has been extremely busy, but the day before the event they were able to complete the full flatbottom on the car. Having never driven a car with a flatbottom I was not sure what to expect, though after the first high speed corner I knew it was entirely worth it. We decided to leave a small gap in the under tray to make sure we were able to vent the engine bay properly. In the future we may decide to find another way to vent the engine bay and seal up the entire under tray. Really the flatbottom in 90% complete. We are going to be adding naca ducts to the rear diff, and come rear brake rotor/hub coolers. We will mostly likely be adding a transmission cooler with its own naca duct as well.

In slow speed corners you would be hard pressed to tell a difference, but in medium to high speed corners you can feel the difference on the car. The faster I went the more of a difference the flatbottom made. You could feel the car becoming more planted as you increased speed, it was fantastic.

Here are some pictures of the belly:

Name:  100_1004.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  40.0 KB
Name:  100_1005.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  28.1 KB

Rota was also kind enough to send of two sets of Torque wheels in a 17"x9" rim with a 30 offset. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of them at the moment as we are trying to work out fender clearance, but I will get them up shortly. The wheels give the car a much more aggressive stance, and the dark silver color works with the cars scheme.

Last edited by Ruski; 10-18-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: the blue bucket
Originally Posted by Ruski
After the last track, event we decided that the car really needed to have the flat bottom completed and we had to do something about the gold wheels that now looked totally out of place on the car.

Calculated Risk has been extremely busy, but the day before the event they were able to complete the full flatbottom on the car. Having never driven a car with a flatbottom I was not sure what to expect, though after the first high speed corner I knew it was entirely worth it. We decided to leave a small gap in the under tray to make sure we were able to vent the engine bay properly. In the future we may decide to find another way to vent the engine bay and seal up the entire under tray.

In slow speed corners you would be hard pressed to tell a difference, but in medium to high speed corners you can feel the difference on the car. The faster I went the more of a difference the flatbottom made. You could feel the car becoming more planted as you increased speed, it was fantastic.

Here are some pictures of the belly:

Rota was also kind enough to send of two sets of Torque wheels in a 17"x9" rim with a 30 offset. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of them at the moment as we are trying to work out fender clearance, but I will get them up shortly. The wheels give the car a much more aggressive stance, and the dark silver color works with the cars scheme.
Why is the splitter not made of Allumilite?

Oh and does it say "Tommy is gay" anywhere on the fabrication work? if not you might need to ask the CR guys to hook you up with that.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:26 PM

Car Info: #93 Koni Challegne Subaru Legacy GT, 96 Impreza L
Originally Posted by UK n00b
Why is the splitter not made of Allumilite?

Oh and does it say "Tommy is gay" anywhere on the fabrication work? if not you might need to ask the CR guys to hook you up with that.
First, screw alumilite .

Second, "Tommy is gay" is going to be painted on the entire underbody once we are 100% done with it .
Old 10-22-2007, 09:48 AM

Pro VS Amature

Here is a video of my last event at Thunderhill. What is shown is one lap by two different drivers side by side.

Thunderhill Raceway, Clockwise
http://www.youtube.com/v/GaQPUfyJIJ8

The audio is from the video on the left, driven by Brian Lock. It cuts out at the end as I could not get the two different audio streams to overlay properly.

Have fun!
Evan
Old 10-22-2007, 10:25 AM

Yea, i blew the spelling. Sorry, and it took to long to edit it to go back and fix it.

Evan
Old 11-15-2007, 11:48 AM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
hey, great write up man,where are the pictures with the torques! i wanna see!

Quick Reply: Calculated Risk's Time Attack STi