Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

AMS Project STi

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 11:42 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Car Info: EVO's, WRX/STi's, 240sx's, SRT4's, DSM'S.....
AMS Project STi

Well here is our 2005 Subaru STi. So far we really like the car and want to make it even better. Having come from the EVO world and making very fast drag and road race cars we think the Subaru’s are a solid platform.

We’ve done some baseline horsepower tests that show the motors strong potential

If any of you are familiar with AMS then you know we take an engineering approach to modifying cars and evaluate it’s systems before making blind modifications. Part of this process is testing. We’ve outfitted our STi with a data logging system and will start implementing sensor to further test the performance of different components on the car. I’m very excited about this and I think everyone on here will love the data.
After the dyno testing I wanted to get some baseline runs at our local road course. Joliet Autobahn South course has a great mix of speed and handling and is quite technical. I took the STi in stock trim on 93 oct pump gas to the track to see what it could do. The modifications where Performance Friction 97 compound front & rear pads along with a good brake fluid flush with Wilwood EXP 600+. If I was to push the car I didn’t want to be babying the brakes the whole time. I also looked at the front suspension and noticed that the car had no negative camber. I loosened the offset bolt on the strut saddle mount and was able to get about 1-1.2 degrees of negative camber, which is still not nearly enough. I set the front toe to zero and off I went. With a full day of testing and getting comfortable with the track I was able to pull off a 1:39.36 hot lap and consistent high 1:40’x and low 1:41’x once the stock tires got greasy.

Here is the video link to the hot lap. It was the second lap out so the tires where still grippy and I had an M3 on R compounds to catch! The mic is built into the chasecam and it's in the center console so sound quality is poor.

http://media.ams-evo8.com/videos/amssti/amssubaru.mov

We're working on some packages for handling and power that will be track tested.

-Martin Musial
Old 06-04-2007, 09:29 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
Looks like a promising project. It's great you guys log all the data and really develope the car. Can't wait to see what kind of things you will be doing with it. Then after you guys get knowledge of the Sti we can ask for help!
Old 06-05-2007, 05:45 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRX ltd
Hmmm, that picture is from Road America though..........