Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

1971 Datsun 510 project

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 05:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
I will def. keep posting updates....infact just today, I ordered the stuff I need to repair the rust in the floorpan....so as soon as I get a chance to dive in again, I'll be posting more pics.

Yea, the 510 I'm working on was setup as an autocross car as well...they make great lil track cars as well, esp. being RWD and all. I doubt the one you saw was an orig. BRE, but there are a few running around the bay with the BRE type paintjobs, its rare to see a real BRE though.

-Ted
Old 12-13-2005, 10:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
Nice ! 510 projects are a lot of fun !

Austin
Old 12-13-2005, 11:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza GC8
Wow. Crazy project. There is no way I can work on a project like this in Wisconsin.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:11 PM

Car Info: evo8..but it use to be a 99 2.2L wagon
those r some real decent lookin floor pans!!!
Old 01-01-2006, 02:31 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru 2.5 RS
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
I will def. keep posting updates....infact just today, I ordered the stuff I need to repair the rust in the floorpan....so as soon as I get a chance to dive in again, I'll be posting more pics.

Yea, the 510 I'm working on was setup as an autocross car as well...they make great lil track cars as well, esp. being RWD and all. I doubt the one you saw was an orig. BRE, but there are a few running around the bay with the BRE type paintjobs, its rare to see a real BRE though.

-Ted
Ive seen and driven a few BRE 510s and 240Zs....... but I guess I just know the right pepole. If you need any help with hard to find parts PM me and I could probably point you in the right direction

Travis Brock- The Gravel Crew
www.gcrallyx.com
Old 01-03-2006, 04:04 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by silver04rs
Ive seen and driven a few BRE 510s and 240Zs....... but I guess I just know the right pepole. If you need any help with hard to find parts PM me and I could probably point you in the right direction

www.gcrallyx.com
Awesome, thanks! I appreciate the offer. As of right now, I'm not really doing anything.....this weather is not my favorite.....so sitting outside in the cold working on my car is not exacty my idea of fun...LOL...The car is under a cover, so it is dry....but its the cold that I cant handle.....hehehe, I think I'm cold blooded.

craziazzmofo66: Yea, they are actually in pretty good shape...the pics of the rusted areas are the worst rust on the entire car, so that makes me happy.

-Ted
Old 01-21-2006, 10:46 PM

Car Info: 2016 FXT
ive wanted a 510 for so long, i cant find one anywhere...ive only seen liek 3 in the last 5 years . props to you for working on an awesome car
Old 01-22-2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by GotBoost?
Awesome, thanks! I appreciate the offer. As of right now, I'm not really doing anything.....this weather is not my favorite.....so sitting outside in the cold working on my car is not exacty my idea of fun...LOL...The car is under a cover, so it is dry....but its the cold that I cant handle.....hehehe, I think I'm cold blooded.

craziazzmofo66: Yea, they are actually in pretty good shape...the pics of the rusted areas are the worst rust on the entire car, so that makes me happy.

-Ted
Get out there and work on it, you sissy? Cold? We got 8" of snow last night! Man, I would KILL for CA "cold" again, lol.
-C
Old 01-23-2006, 01:05 PM
VIP Member

LMAO! yea, I hear ya Cam......unfortuneatly, I need a water/weather tight, heated area to do my "derusting", otherwise, I will only exasserbate the problem. Esp. since I need to literally hose out the floor pans once I prep the bare metal, and make sure its 100% dry as a bone, before the rust inhibitor goes in, otherwise it wont work properly to effectively stop future rust. And you know that my Dream garage isnt even started yet.....so I am at mother natures mercy for now.

-Ted
Old 04-22-2006, 11:33 AM

Car Info: 2016 FXT
any update lol?
Old 04-26-2006, 02:02 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by silver04rs

www.gcrallyx.com
Where would YOU run into any BRE cars ???? :rotfl:

GotBoost?, my guess is you should take this offer and run with it.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:22 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ClavoWRX
Where would YOU run into any BRE cars ???? :rotfl:

GotBoost?, my guess is you should take this offer and run with it.

LOL, yea, I know what you mean. Actually the car had all the parts....it wasnt missing anything, so there's not much I need to look for besides a few emblems and what not. There hasn't been much progress on this as of yet. Due to the fact that I dont have a garage to work on it in. I am actually having plans for a nice big garage drawn up. So I'm hoping to have a "real" garage by the end of the summer/early fall. And I am not going to keep this car "original" so to speak. This baby will be heavily modified when I finally tear into it. So most likely most of the stuff I will be needing will be custom parts, or aftermarket stuff. (for example, I already have a Painless wiring harness for the car

I'll be sure to post up more pics when I get something more significant done.

-Ted
Old 05-04-2006, 10:39 AM

Car Info: A couple wagons and one weird S2K Guy...
Ted,
Your killin me not geting this thing rolling man! If there is anything I can dig up for you to help when things get crackin, let me know 'cause I want a ride in it next time I am back in the BA.
-Cameron
Old 05-04-2006, 01:04 PM
VIP Member

LOL, I know what you mean man, Its been killing me too. However, the whole reason I havent done much is because my kitchen has been getting remodeled, and it is almost finished. THEN the next project is to enlarge my garage

My house only has a single car garage, and my Scooby sleeps in there, so there's no room for the Datsun. However, I have an architect working on some drawings to DOUBLE the size of my garage (it will be 2 cars DEEP, and remain 1 car wide, but will go UP to 2 stories). The Rear half of the garage will have an open ceiling all the way up both stories with a Bend-Pak 2 post lift and the front half of the garage will have a "bonus room" above it, with a balcony (inside) that will look down to the bottom floor where the lift is located in the back half. Plus the entire garage will be totally sound proof. So thats why I havent had a chance to do much to the Datsun....I'm trying to get my garage built so I have a place to work on it. And OFCOURSE, for all those that want to know, when My garage finally gets finished.......there WILL be a "garage warming" party.

-Ted
Old 05-04-2006, 07:10 PM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
Thumbs up

That's a good enough update.
Thanks Ted ! Can't wait to see pics of the new garage.It sounds like a good one.

Quick Reply: 1971 Datsun 510 project