NorCal Classifieds Cars, parts, electronics, etc for sale and trade. Private parties and approved regional i-Club Vendors.

WTB: Beats by Dre

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 02:30 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I have the solo HD's on my head right now.

They are... meh at best.

Low end is kinda week. Mid range/vocals is solid and pretty crisp. Highs are there and not annoying. It's mainly the loss of the lows that's bugs me and leaves the sound kind of flat. Surprising considering... well... Dr. Dre. I'm surprised he let these go out with such a weak driver.

It's built o.k. Pretty light weight. The sound adjuster deal on the cable is kind of too high. They're decent comfort wise for an on ear. Mainly they fit in the computer bag really well and are easy to trasport.

Decent headphone but not one I would recommend for a sound junky. They work just fine for me though. I still get my work done... I'd say some of the blame is the signal coming out of my computer. They sound better on my desktop but still not amazing.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:57 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
I am quite partial to the Shure SRH 440.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:08 PM

Car Info: 2012 WRX
OneManArmy - don't take this as an insult, but if you think the Solo HD is good with mids/vocals, you'd be in for a pleasant surprise with better headphones out there. From my limited experience, Audio Technica ATH-M50 has a slightly recessed mid, but the bass is so clean and "accurate", but will not satisfy a boomy bass junky. Grado's have amazing mids, but the high's might be sibilant for some. VSonic GR07 (in-ear monitors, though) is my favorite when it comes to vocals and especially clarity between music instruments.
(Regarding your post earlier about comfort, look for ones with velour pads. There was a Beyerdynamic headphone that I tried a while back with velour pads, and those were the most comfortable set of cans I've ever tried. I can't remember the specific model at the moment, though, sorry!!)

Silver Mojo - if you love your Grado, I think you might enjoy the VSonic GR07. It is an in-ear monitor though, so not really a headphone. However, as I mentioned above, it has the best mids, vocals, and instrument "clarity" from the few iem's and cans I've tried.

In any case, music is music. If you pick up a set of cans and you enjoy your music, that's all that matters

Last edited by zergling; 07-02-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
Originally Posted by zergling
OneManArmy - don't take this as an insult, but if you think the Solo HD is good with mids/vocals, you'd be in for a pleasant surprise with better headphones out there. From my limited experience, Audio Technica ATH-M50 has a slightly recessed mid, but the bass is so clean and "accurate", but will not satisfy a boomy bass junky. Grado's have amazing mids, but the high's might be sibilant for some. VSonic GR07 (in-ear monitors, though) is my favorite when it comes to vocals and especially clarity between music instruments.

Silver Mojo - if you love your Grado, I think you might enjoy the VSonic GR07. It is an in-ear monitor though, so not really a headphone. However, as I mentioned above, it has the best mids, vocals, and instrument "clarity" from the few iem's and cans I've tried.
big difference between booming bass and efficient LFE. Getting a combination of both is optimal. Getting a combination without muddying up the mids and hi's is where the price gets higher and higher. I suggested the sol republic tracks HD because the OP mentioned beats. I'm wearing these now. They are much lighter in weight. The react really well to an EQ and are great anywhere in the spectrum. I chose these for the money, sound isolation, lows and hi's, and even the aesthetic. The cabling is very strong and you can bend the band completely inverted and it wont snap like beats. Have fun making your decision.

Last edited by johndabrit; 07-02-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:48 PM

Car Info: 2012 WRX
Originally Posted by johndabrit
big difference between booming bass and efficient LFE. Getting a combination of both is optimal. Getting a combination without muddying up the mids and hi's is where the price gets higher and higher. I suggested the sol republic tracks HD because the OP mentioned beats. I'm wearing these now. They are much lighter in weight. The react really well to an EQ and are great anywhere in the spectrum. I chose these for the money, sound isolation, lows and hi's, and even the aesthetic. The cabling is very strong and you can bend the band completely inverted and it wont snap like beats. Have fun making your decision.
Agreed, that's why I brought up the M50 twice. IMO, this is as good and "accurate" as you can get for the price range.

The SOL Republic ones are interesting. The few reviews I've seen confirm that they are primarily bass junky headphones. Seems to be perfect for the folks that would enjoy Beats (lots of bass, flashy aesthetics), but without the absurd price.
- seems perfect for the OP that was looking for Beats, but definitely nowhere near the Grado's that he already has. Actually, I'm surprised that the OP, owning a Grado, isn't searching reviews on the internet for something that is like a closed-back version of his Grado's.