NorCal Classifieds Cars, parts, electronics, etc for sale and trade. Private parties and approved regional i-Club Vendors.

WTB: Beats by Dre

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 11:25 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX, 06 Evo IX MR, now 2010 STi
WTB: Beats by Dre

Looks to buy some new headphones for the office.

I'm looking for either the Solo or Studio version.

Thanks for looking
Old 07-01-2012, 11:41 AM

Car Info: 2012 WRX
Yikes! You may want to do some research before buying those cans.

Even if muddy bloated bass is your thing, a Sony XB500 or XB700 will humiliate any Beats product in all aspects, including price.

If you have a good budget, Ultrasone Pro900 is THE headphone for folks that love boomy bass and strong (or sibilant to some) high's (usually folks that love hiphop, electronic, and wubwub dubstep)

Sorry if this post isn't what you're looking for. Let me know if you want me to delete it.

Head-fi.org is the place to learn about headphones and in-ear monitors (earphones that go in the ear canal)

Last edited by zergling; 07-01-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:18 PM

Car Info: bugeye
I will add that if they are for in the office, the beats create a lot of sound to be heard around you and don't really muffle the music. So if you're trying to listen to music loud in your office, do not buy beats.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:32 PM

Car Info: 2004 Forester XT
i have some fake ones haha
Old 07-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
Best bang for your buck sol republic track HD

Made by the same guy who made beats but left to make something better. 130 bucks well spent. Sound isolation is great with them. Like the above post said, sorry of this post isn't for you but I'm sure you'd appreciate being pointed in a better direction.... Right?
Old 07-01-2012, 08:24 PM

Car Info: 02 WRB WRX Sedan
zergling wrote word-for-word exactly what I was going to say :O

You can easily get better sound quality for less money than Beats by Dre. They're incredibly overpriced for what they are.

I have a pair of Sony XB700s so I can vouch for those-- awesome bass, $90 new on Amazon, but they might not isolate well enough for an office setting. Depends on how loud you listen to your music

And like everyone else.. sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it is what it is haha
Old 07-01-2012, 09:45 PM

Car Info: none
I personally have the studio beats. I got them on eBay for like $180 when they first came out and that was shipped. For me they've been great with the exception of the cord fraying but that's only because I use them in the gym and sometimes the cord gets accidentally yanked on. But as for the other headphones the other guys have mentioned I haven't personally tried them so I can't attest to their quality. As for me I love the beats for the sound, to me they have the best sound as compared to any other headphone I've purchased or heard. They also now have wireless ones that I'm sure would be cool too especially for the office because they use bluetooth, and they're cheaper than the regular studios.

But its up to you. Just thought I'd chip in my two cents from personal experience.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:50 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by z0rz
zergling wrote word-for-word exactly what I was going to say :O

You can easily get better sound quality for less money than Beats by Dre. They're incredibly overpriced for what they are.

I have a pair of Sony XB700s so I can vouch for those-- awesome bass, $90 new on Amazon, but they might not isolate well enough for an office setting. Depends on how loud you listen to your music

And like everyone else.. sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it is what it is haha
+1000. Just like everything else Monster makes, these are overpriced average products.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:28 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX sedan
Why on earth would anyone want these terrible headphones?? Unless you're trying to look like a hypebeat at the office and not actually listening to music avoid these headphones.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:02 AM

Sounds like I'm not the only one here who likes good headphones In case the op is wondering, I did try out all the beats headphones. Only the Pro model comes close to the sound quality of my Audio Technica ATH-M50 ($120 shipped when I bought it). Even then, the Pro's bass is too muddy for me - might be awesome for boom-tish! music if you ignore the absurd price.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:30 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX, 06 Evo IX MR, now 2010 STi
Well, thanks for the feedback everyone.

I guess it would be best to give a little background on the type of headphones i'm currently using and what I'm now looking for.

I'm currently using Grado 125i. I love the headphones but I currently just got moved to a office cube that I now share with 3 other people and I'm trying to be more considerate to my surroundings. People at the office have always commented how loud my headphones are but now I can see some of them without a cubicle wall. Somehow cubicle walls give you a false sense of privacy. As you know Grado's are open back and pretty much any headphone are going to be better insulated.

I choose Beats by Dre cause I was thinking if I didn't like them I could sell them easily later. I just need good quality headphones that's going to be good for the office.

Last edited by Silver Mojo; 07-02-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:14 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
If you're just looking for decent headphones they're fine. The audio snobs can get all huffy all they want. Of course there are headphones that sound better.

The beats are made for style and marketability. They look cool. If you can get them for cheap they're worth it. Sound wise they're o.k. I have some sony's I like better but I'm using them to listen to music at work NOT mix a sound track or create the next new wave of hip hop beat trends.

I have them on my head right now. They're fine. Not worth the over inflated best buy prices but if you can get a deal they're fine.

It's like the skull candy stuff... people bought those because they looked cool not because they sound amazing. They work fine.

And you're right. Don't like them... they'll sell very easily.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:34 PM

I figured there must be a somewhat valid reason the OP would looks specifically for these.

While easy resale is a nice bonus, I dont know how much sound quality you're willing to sacrifice for that aspect. The Grado sound signature is nowhere near the dark and muddy beats. I've spent an hour (or more?) listening to the Grado 325is. I loved it but the comfort (supra-aural instead of the usual circumaurals) was the deal breaker.

Anywho, I have a feeling you've already listened to the beats, so good luck!

If you haven't, make sure you do try it out first before buying. There are many closed back cans in the market, ive already mentioned 4 better ones. Why think about resale when you can just buy a keeper?

Last edited by zergling; 07-02-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:09 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Good point.

What about weight though. I'm a stickler for comfort. I can't stand heavy headphones or ones that put a lot of pressure on my head. I have days where I'm under the phones for 9-10 hours.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Good point.

What about weight though. I'm a stickler for comfort. I can't stand heavy headphones or ones that put a lot of pressure on my head. I have days where I'm under the phones for 9-10 hours.
Unfortunately, the comfort aspect is really going to be a trial and error thing, as folks have different tolerances.

For example, I can't wear my reading glasses and keep either of my headphones (Audio Technica ATH-M50 and Sennheiser PC360) on for more than a hour. Eventually the pressure they put on the glasses make the side of my head sore. This same thing isn't a problem with my buddy who also has reading glasses, and also has the ATH-M50.

My ears kinda stick out so I can't wear supraaurals like (most?) Grado's for more than an hour - this isn't a problem with some folks.

I do know the Beats Pro and Studio definitely feel heavy and clunky, much like my ATH-M50. Unfortunately, it seems it has more "flashy" than build quality.

The Beats Solo seemed lightweight compared to the other Beats, but the sound quality, from what I can vaguely remember, was exactly the same as the FMJ Skullbrokens I had years back.....

Quick Reply: WTB: Beats by Dre