NorCal Classifieds Cars, parts, electronics, etc for sale and trade. Private parties and approved regional i-Club Vendors.

Wanted mechanic to install new engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 11:57 PM

Car Info: WRX 2002
Wanted mechanic to install new engine

I wanted to install an engine in my 04 Suby WRX and need a mechanic and I am willing to do a decent amount of the work if we can complete it over a few weekends. I cannot do it all so I need an experienced mechanic for some direction. Let me know the cost. Thanks
Old 03-19-2012, 12:30 AM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
Wish you were closer to Sac.
I'm not a mechanic but removed/installed, took apart/put together plenty of EJ20s and 25s
Old 03-19-2012, 01:06 AM

Car Info: '04 Subaru WRX
pm'd
Old 03-19-2012, 05:52 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX
where are u located?
if its close to morgan hill hit me up.
i dont mind helping another suby owner out.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:04 PM

Car Info: 2016 FXT
It can easily be done in 1 day, 2 max if you really, really take your time!
Old 03-20-2012, 12:30 PM

Car Info: WRX 2002
Thanks for the support I am in the Redwood/ Menlo area and the car is drivable, but not sure about making it to Morgan Hill, I can take local roads and keep the rpm at 2k(SAC is too far in this shape). If it ceases then I can flat bed it for maybe $150 (rod end bearing damage so perhaps lack of oil to the bearing groove would occur). I would have to be certain we could do it. We would have to take off my current water pump (I could buy an aftermarket), clutch kit (I can buy a new one I guess), use my current turbo, not sure what else. I do not have much experience in this so really need the help. I also need an engine cherry picker is that something you have 03WRXtc?
NorCalDB5- does the 2 days include taking all the old partsoff the current block (water pump, clutch kit, alternator and turbo).
Old 03-20-2012, 12:57 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Bayareawrx
Thanks for the support I am in the Redwood/ Menlo area and the car is drivable, but not sure about making it to Morgan Hill, I can take local roads and keep the rpm at 2k(SAC is too far in this shape). If it ceases then I can flat bed it for maybe $150 (rod end bearing damage so perhaps lack of oil to the bearing groove would occur). I would have to be certain we could do it. We would have to take off my current water pump (I could buy an aftermarket), clutch kit (I can buy a new one I guess), use my current turbo, not sure what else. I do not have much experience in this so really need the help. I also need an engine cherry picker is that something you have 03WRXtc?
NorCalDB5- does the 2 days include taking all the old partsoff the current block (water pump, clutch kit, alternator and turbo).

You're gonna want to have all of your stuff ready to go. Stopping for parts can cost you hours and even days.

I'd recommend using as much new stuff as possible because... it's out. Better now than in a month. Clutch for sure. It'd be silly not to do one.

2 days start to finish should be a non issue with folks that know what they're doing. Hell, I was talking to my buddy last night and he's had motors out of cars in under an hour solo.

I have to buy a new jack for my cherry picker... thanks for reminding me.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:04 PM

Car Info: 2016 FXT
Originally Posted by Bayareawrx
It takes literally 15 seconds to take off the clutch once the motor is separated. And the alternator is held on by a few bolts. That part is not hard at all.

You can also rent a cherry picker, that's what I did my first time pulling my motor.

Edit: If you take the radiator out its really easy to take off the alternator, and taking the radiator out is pretty much step 1.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRB Wagon
For the water pump, use OEM parts
One day in and out if you have all the parts rtg and have everything needed for the job like coolant, oil, etc.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:51 PM

Car Info: wrx wagon/2.5rs
sounds like you have a block ready to go in already? if so would only take you a few hours, if you know what you are doing. =)

agree with everyone else..make sure you have the parts, water pump, clutch, gaskets...etc before you take your original motor out..sucks having to wait for stuff when it should only take a few hours.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:11 PM

Car Info: GT37R 07
i have a friend who swaps motors all the time, pm me your number we are about 1 hour away from u in tracy
Old 03-21-2012, 12:14 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Drop a line to ipozestu. Will not find a better shade tree mechanic... period. I trust him more than most shops.