NorCal Classifieds Cars, parts, electronics, etc for sale and trade. Private parties and approved regional i-Club Vendors.

Smog recommendation in San Jose area?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 12:13 AM

Car Info: 08 WRX 4dr
Talking

ok i don't know where you people are getting your info from... BUT...

Catted TBE MAY pass the visual if the smog tech is lazy but IN CA all the aftermarket cat MUST HAVE CA imprinted ON the cat to pass. but most smog tech don't look for that, just as long as you have a cat installed.

You can have a aftermarket Intake,FMIC, TMIC, etc.. as long as you have a CARB sticker/labels for each parts. ANY BOV would fail the visual(IF the tech notice it) CBE doesn't matter...

Since WRX/STi are AWD, the tech will ONLY SMOG with Two Speed Test. NO DYNO testing (YET). SO IF your car run clean, you MAY pass the emission test without a CAT, if the tech don't notice the DP(without any CARB sticker).

WRX/STi - there is NO timing adjustment since its DIS(computer controlled).

If you have a COBB AP, why not re-flash it with your STOCK Map to be on the safe side? After the re-flash MAKE sure you drive the car for 50+miles to try to get the monitors ready. Don't forget to turn the car OFF(remove key) for 1 min in between the 50+miles... If you go smog right after your re-flash you WILL FAIL. You must drive the car to get all the system ready again. remember re-flash = RESET. IF your check engine list is ON, that's automatic FAIL! The EVAP system won't be ready till next MORNING.

I don't know about the older Subaru vehicles BUT the new ones have a CAN system and the vehicle will NOT connect to the SMOG machine YET. SO the OBD2 monitors will not matter.

This is what I HATE the most... MOST people think that they can just reset the check engine light by disconnecting the battery and they go SMOG right after that and ALWAYS wondering WHY they failed...

If you have COBB AP you can check your monitors to see if its ready...

ALL this WILL change when the NEW SMOG Machine arrive in 2010. (So they say) BAR also said there will be AWD Dyno SMOGs, Diesel SMOGs AND Motorcycle SMOG too in the near future...

It ONLY gets HARDER...

Good Luck...
Old 11-13-2009, 01:14 AM

Car Info: drives a STi
If I have my aftermarket intercooler hoses on, will that fail me on the visual?
Old 11-13-2009, 08:39 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRB Wagon
Originally Posted by 05_WRex
If I have my aftermarket intercooler hoses on, will that fail me on the visual?
No, have nothing to do with emissions.

Import Geek - please share your knowledge on another thread. We need to keep this simple for a place to go for smog, and answer a question or two. Thanks