NorCal Classifieds Cars, parts, electronics, etc for sale and trade. Private parties and approved regional i-Club Vendors.

Irritating classified;s habit

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 04:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Irritating classified;s habit

When people sell a part they have the annoying habit of replacing the sale cost with "SOLD!". If they leave the price then future buyers and sellers can see what the going rates are..... whooda thunk it?
Old 10-09-2007, 04:55 PM

Car Info: 05 AW WRX STi
I replace it because I DON'T want the price to be there. The sale price is between the seller and the buyer. If the buyer wants to sell it again later he can sell it for whatever he wants without people pointing out how much he supposedly bought it for.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:56 PM

Car Info: nothing
its kinda the buyers privacy to have the price deleted. if i bought something at a great price and tried to sell it later for its market value, say it was more than i bought it for, then some ***** might remember how much it was or look up where i bought it from and then tell me my price was jacked. its happened before, but either way, its nobody's business to know how much something sold for. its up t the seller, but its mostly for the buyer i think. if you want to know what something is worth, then thats the dumbest economics question in the book. its worth exactly what you're willing to pay for it. but as a general rule, if you want to know what the resell of a part is in general, what most people do is 60-50-40 rule. if its used and great condition, 60% of new price, and so on depending on the condition. if its new, you might see up around 80% of new price. just general rules for selling and buying, but you dont neccesarily get a accurate idea of pricing from past threads anyways...
Old 10-09-2007, 05:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
I'd prefer people delete the entire item all together to avoid confusion.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:27 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Waggin'
^^^I agree. At least if it's requested. I've sold stuff and deleted the entire original post and replaced it with "Mods, please delete" but it stays there anyway, and ends up getting pushed down into the pile. Leaving the sales price is the seller's choice, but if that isn't even there for reference, might as well just delete the thread and clean up the joint.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by eXstasy
I replace it because I DON'T want the price to be there. The sale price is between the seller and the buyer. If the buyer wants to sell it again later he can sell it for whatever he wants without people pointing out how much he supposedly bought it for.
I disagree, if its worth the money it's worth the money. Plus its a public forum records are kept of a lot of stuff. When I see this happening most of the time I just think the person is a ****ing idiot, because it's such a small part or normal price there is no reason to delet it. The fact they went thru and did makes them douchebaggggggggg
Old 10-09-2007, 06:50 PM
VIP Member

Think for a moment.... you can post the price without posting *who* bought it! Amazing!

(... not to mention its pretty whiny to complain to someone "Hey I know you bought that for X and you're selling to me for 1.5 * X!"... esp. if its still a good price. Just because someone got a deal, you deserve one too and have the right to whine about it? Where's this law written?)
Old 10-09-2007, 06:53 PM

Car Info: '15 WRX
There's always someone who wants to lowball
Old 10-09-2007, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by mmboost
Think for a moment.... you can post the price without posting *who* bought it! Amazing!

(... not to mention its pretty whiny to complain to someone "Hey I know you bought that for X and you're selling to me for 1.5 * X!"... esp. if its still a good price. Just because someone got a deal, you deserve one too and have the right to whine about it? Where's this law written?)
yea, but lots of the time people post up saying that they want something...later on if theyre trying to sell that part...oh wait! someone puts 2 and 2 together and figures out what the guy bought it for and now thinks they deserve a better price. i guess the original poster could edit his thread every time and then the buyer could edit their post so that no one knows that they said they were buying it, but why the hell would they want to go through that kind of trouble so some other nosey bastard can "feel" the market for the best price? if its worth the price on the post, then pay it, otherwise, do your research or figure out a way to gauge the value of a part. but its not a sellers job, nor a buyers job to leave information on the "public" forum for you to see. just because its public doesnt mean that once you post something it becomes property of the forum.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Rat

Car Info: always changing...
I agree, it makes it difficult to gauge the market for used parts...
Old 10-09-2007, 08:08 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by gmodc7
yea, but lots of the time people post up saying that they want something...later on if theyre trying to sell that part...oh wait! someone puts 2 and 2 together and figures out what the guy bought it for and now thinks they deserve a better price.
Did it occur to you that your scenario goes in the opposite direction too? An open market keeps a seller from completely undercutting himself and from over pricing, which also protects the seller. The goal in a market is not to make the lowest price but to keep the money and the parts flowing according to the true value of what's on the market. Have you noticed that stocks are traded for public prices Open sales bring out the true value of a product. Who wants to deal with a whiny bunch of finger pointing babies when it comes to dealing with money? Sell for the right price. Buy for the right price. Haggle if you can. But don't cry when you don't know how to shop, sell or bargain.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:25 PM

ive sold tons of stuff on here, nasioc, other forums. ive never gotten screwed and i usually make back what i put into a part. i think if people knew what i paid for something they might be less willing to pay my asking price. thats all. i agree with the seller protection aspect, but thats the sellers responsibility, and if one is not comfortable with listing a part at a certain price, then they shouldnt do it, but if theres an incredible steal of a deal, i never ever see someone chime in and say, are you sure you want to do that? all i ever see is DIBS. i wont cry over shopping, selling or bargaining because there are other ways to find out what a reasonable resale price is without using other peoples threads. sure, if i dont know, a search might help, and if i go by someones thread prices then sure its fine, but i think its a little over the line to say that someone, by taking down their prices, is irritating you. let not make this a big deal, its just a debate, and theres no need for you to start poking fun or saying "dont cry about..." wah wah whatever. its all just opinion and i dont feel like anything i say here, or you say here will really affect the way someone monitors their threads after they sell something. in the end, its all up to them, and they do have that right.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Rat

Car Info: always changing...
well, if it's a history of the sale it helps is all I'm saying.

I guess I'll just ask for half of new and call it a day from now on.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:31 PM

haha, yea, just sensible judgement is all. not saying anything is right or wrong, just no one is obligated to keep prices up.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:36 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by gmodc7
i think if people knew what i paid for something they might be less willing to pay my asking price.
Then don't buy things cheaply!

Seriously... then let them whine their way to a cheaper price elsewhere. But if the prices are listed publicly when the sale is made public the market became the most fair for both parties. If you're out to find someone to screw over who doesn't know better, who would want to do business with you anyway?

well you know my POV. And, you're wrong j/k (sorta, heh). Back to selling my parts...

Quick Reply: Irritating classified;s habit