NorCal Classifieds Cars, parts, electronics, etc for sale and trade. Private parties and approved regional i-Club Vendors.

FS: Complete GC8 STi Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 01:15 PM

Car Info: 99 RSTi
FS: Complete GC8 STi Project

Also posted this on iwsti. Sorry if you already have seen this there.

I have this daily driver/track car for sale that I've really taken car of the past few years. In short, it is a complete 05 STi conversion in a rally blue 99RS coupe. I was one of the first STi conversions, the project was completed back in 2006. This includes the 6MT, DCCD controls, rear diff of course, the STi's ABS braking system, hubs, brembos, wheels, gauge cluster... everything that could go, went except the interior since I prefer the GC8 interior.

The Good:
Tomei ARMS M7760 turbo
Tomei headers
Perrin Big Topmount
HKS Intake
Tuned by Auto Headquarters in Redwood city by Shiggy. Makes 300+ WHP, didn't get a final dyno number. Proof of speed is that I (novice driver) can get this thing around Infineon Raceway in under 2 minutes).
Fuel pump (forgot which one but AHQ said it was better than Walbro)
DeatschWerks 740cc injectors
TGV deletes
Full turboback exhaust with maddad whisper muffler (put together by LIC motorsports in Novato)
Carbonetics Carbon clutch kit (recommended by RSport direct, drove for 15k miles, hardly slips when cold grips like hell when you heat it up, it is amazing)
RCE T2 coilovers, just serviced and in great condition
Whiteline front and rear sways.
Whiteline ALK (my fav mod ever by the way)
PDE front camber plates
Koyo Radiator (barely fits, but we got it in there thanks to AHQ!)
Intercooler water spray with boost controlled switch (tank in trunk).
TIC Fender Braces
Quick Rack 12.5:1 steering ratio. I got this from some Canadian dude in the rally circuit up there several years ago, It has worked amazingly since the day I installed it.
Hawk DTC-70 track pads installed (but have street pads below that will be included).
RalliTEK front aluminum skid plate (put this on to protect the headers and their wrap from rain/snow)
V4/V5 STi seats (grey/red ones)
60/40 passthrough rear seats from a legacy modified to match the RS interior!
Tow hitch (really hidden and done right)
Prova O shaped steering wheel (just put this in, brand new, preserves cruise control).
Titanium shift *** on the 6MT
JDM folding mirrors with the switch of course
Just repainted the factory Rally Blue Perl. The exterior of the car is in excellent condition except what I mention later in the thread.
Silver BBS 5x114.3 installed with Dunlop starspecs currently (30% tread?)
Alpine 4 channel amp, alpine spare tire well subwoofer (all trunk space still available!) Polk Momo front speakers, Infiniti kappa rear speakers.
Dynomat on the doors, back seat area, trunk (done right by me!)

Extra stuff not installed but I want to include in the sale:
Extra set of BBS (gold) with Blizzak LM25's from my trips to Tahoe. 40% tread I think?
Stock 05 STi suspension modified to fit the GC (just in case you need to service the T2's)
Lots of oil filters
Several air filers for HKS intake
Brank new set of rotors still in their box
Brand new Axis Ultimate street pads

Picture I took awhile back:

The Bad:
Coming out of the carousel at Infineon, I lost power steering and safely brought the car off the track. A small fire broke out under the hood and was put out in less than a minute. The fire was caused by a ruptured power steering line spraying fluid all over the turbo. The damage is significant but looks to be mostly wiring/hoses damage on the passenger side of the car. The hood's paint is damaged and the fender on that side might need a repaint too. I don't expect this to cost alot in parts to repair, but I do expect it to be involved since there are a few a major wire groups in that area and alot of hoses to replace.

The damage to the wiring is quite extensive on the passenger side under the hood. Here are some pics, I removed the intercooler so you can see the damage better. The intercooler seems fine so I didn't take any pics.

As you can see the wiring is... dead. The catch here is that the car has some custom wiring because of the swap and it will not be easy to get everything hooked up properly. Honestly, it might be easier to rewire the whole car.

I'm looking for someone to give this car life again on the track or as a spirited daily driver or both like I did. My opinion is that these parts belong in a GC8 and that this configuration is the ultimate subaru (think of it as a 22b wanna be). Parting the car out would just make me sad but it is something I will consider if no one wants to get a good deal on the whole package. If I was 5 years younger I would be under the hood right now rewiring instead of typing here.

Since I know the entire drivetrain, the suspension, the interior is all still good, I'm expecting in the $9k range for everything. If you do the math on the engine, tranny, turbo, headers, coilovers, brakes, hubs, wheels this is an excellent deal.
I really don't want to ship the project, but I'll consider any reasonable offer.

Everything is located at my house in Redwood City, CA.

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:39 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx wagon
I do hope this car stays together. I have seen it around town and thought it was a sweet car. If only I had the time and money( I barely have time for my car).
Old 09-16-2011, 02:35 AM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
damn sorry this happened to you, free bump

I'd love your car but I"m knee deep in projects (my own rsti actually) let me know if you part out stuff, I need a lot of stuff that you have, mainly brakes.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:18 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
That sucks. Such a clean car.

Yeah that whole motor should come out for those repairs. Lots of work getting that car back to where it was. Good luck. Super clean build.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:03 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
If I just didnt finish up my widebody. I'd be all over this. Drop my motor and turbo in this. Would be smoking fast.

Sucks about the fire and Good luck with the sale!
Old 09-19-2011, 12:36 AM

Thanks for the compliments and sympathies. I really am going to miss this car.

Had a buyer, sale fell through since the buyer's wife did not agree. Everything is still for sale. I don't really have storage space to part this out guys...
Old 09-19-2011, 03:03 PM

Car Info: 2000 2 door RS/ daily driver vtech
ok so your asking 9k for everything burned? or its just a marker? ill pm you
Old 09-20-2011, 12:11 AM

Nothing except the wiring and hoses by the turbo is burned. The fire was put out very quickly. I personally thought $9k was an extraordinary price considering all you have to do is fix some hoses, power steering lines and the wiring to have a serious track/street car.

The damage is not as bad as it looks since so much thick smoke stained some of the parts. Most of the time, it simply rubs off. I wouldn't take my word for it, come take a look for yourself if you are serious. Send me a PM and we can schedule something.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:58 AM

Car Info: 1997 impreza L
let me know if you are willing to part out some body parts. I could really use your sideskirts and hood. just pm me if you want to sell! i live in sf. not too far from redwood city
Old 09-21-2011, 08:05 PM

Car Info: Fast
Damn I have an STI wiring harness, but no cash!!
Old 09-21-2011, 08:10 PM

Car Info: 06 obp sti
Not to be that guy, but more often than not when someone says " All you have to do is...." it generally becomes a huge laundry list of do's.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:58 AM

The hard part of the repair is the wiring otherwise I would have fixed this already and been at Infineon raceway this weekend with it.
If you are an expert subaru wiring dude or know someone who can help you at a reasonable rate, this is a deal of a lifetime.

No part out yet since I really want to see this car alive again and give a great deal to a true subaru enthusiast.
I'm pretty sure everyone here knows that these parts alone are worth more than my asking price... Not to mention even with the hood paint damage from the fire, this is one of the cleanest 99RS you'll find inside and out.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:16 AM

Car Info: 1997 impreza L
well let me know if you do part out then. I can always trade you my L hood for your rs hood with cash on my end. but mines is green
Old 09-23-2011, 03:10 PM

Car Info: 06 obp sti
I'm almost tempted to try and get this, I dont need a lot of those parts on the car which I could sell to recoup quite a bit of money and install my own parts that I make to repalce them.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:39 PM
In Russia, Title Choose You.

Car Info: Everywhere
Sounds like a lot of work/big project to fix, but also a GREAT DEAL if you consider what it is and whats all on it. Very tempting. Good luck to you. Hope it doesn't get parted. Looks/sounds like a solid track car.

Quick Reply: FS: Complete GC8 STi Project