Newbie & FAQ New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the I-Club group. FAQs will also be answered in here.

Subie Newbie says hello.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:38 AM

Car Info: 09 WRX
Subie Newbie says hello.

My name is as you can guess from my username shegs. I am a graphic design student in the Bay Area, CA and am currently really big on photography (love taking shots of my car). I'll post a link to some of my shots if people are interested.

I have always loved Subarus since my mom used to drive me around in her old legacy back in the mid 90s. every racing game I would buy I would just get the impreza and mod the bajesus out of it. so when I had the chance to buy my own I didn't even bat an eye, it wasn't even a question of if I would buy it... I could afford it so it was mine.

I am a little apprehensive with the style of the 08-09 Subarus, I plan to mod the looks a little, for example I want the wider boxier wheel wells of the STI, but have no idea where to start looking for something like that...

some info about my car
currently it is a stock 09 WRX premium sedan
I have an aftermarket Yakima rack that use to handle my bikes and ski equipment.

I chose the WRX over the STI because I want a little more conventional utility rather than street racing ability. my plan is to take this car with me in the snow and the dirt while having a bit of get up and go on the streets.

as far as performance goes, I feel I could use a little more control (tighter suspension) and a little more speed but I am not looking to go crazy or race anyone, I just want the ability to pass people on the highway without having to worry about anything.

I guess that is about it for now...
I am looking forward to meeting all of you and learning from you guys everything i need to make my ride everything I have wanted. if any of you have any ideas about what I should do to improve my Subie, let me know.

thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 12:03 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX, 2015 Murano, 2017 NGM Camaro SS
Cool, welcome. Where in the bay are you from?
Old 07-20-2009, 12:19 PM
BAM9 Ladies choice Carshow winner

Car Info: 13 FR-S/05 STI
welcome to i-club
Old 07-20-2009, 12:19 PM

Car Info: 2003 Scooby wrx
Welcome
Old 07-20-2009, 12:34 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
Welcome!

and...

{Bwah hahahaha} evil booming laughter

you're asking for advice on mods....you'll get as many recommendations are there are opinions. What's your budget--both now and longer term?

My recipe has been to hook up with my friendly neighborhood and recommended speed shop and use some of the well-recommended parts. Not the cheapest way to get things done, but my priority is to have my car tuned safely and dependably and to enjoy my car when the time, and the road, affords!

I have used Speed Element and GST for my parts and install. Mike at GST tuned my car, and I'm extremely pleased with how my car is now.

Powerwise, I went with Cobb AP, EL headers/Uppipe, and Catted DP with Cobb exhaust. Didn't want something too loud (read WAF-wife acceptance Factor).

I like Whiteline parts for my suspension bits (ALK, Steering rack bushings, Front Upper Strut Bar, Rear Diff Bushings/Lock Bolts), and have lowered my car on Swift Springs (not too low, and actually more comfortable than stock). Future plans are for Rear Upper Strut Bar, and then sways/endlinks too.

Have fun--your journey is just beginning!
Old 07-20-2009, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by AlanarchySTI
Cool, welcome. Where in the bay are you from?
East bay. I live in Hayward now, but really want to get out of this hole... :/

Originally Posted by CHESTON
you're asking for advice on mods....you'll get as many recommendations are there are opinions. What's your budget--both now and longer term?
budget wise isn't the problem, I don't have money at the moment but am a whiz at saving for what I need. as for the quality of parts I usually go by recommendations from people I get the feeling know what they are talking about. as long as their recommendations help me achieve what I am looking for. currently I am looking to have a car that handles and accelerates well in multiple conditions. I took it for a ride the other day on some twisty roads and felt a little too much sway for my comfort, so I am guessing that would be a good place to start.

other wise I am open to any recommendations as I am new to car mods, heck this is my first car so I am new to this whole thing in general. I don't know local people that know good places, and wouldn't know the first place to find a local shop that would treat me right... that is where I hope to gather the aid of the users here.

Thanks for the welcomes
Old 07-20-2009, 01:21 PM

well, then, a very fine shop is in your Backyard. GST is right there...ask Greg for the "reach-around discount"

poke around the site, and they'll show up as one of the most recommended (and I rate them highly) shops for both parts and install.

For comparison's sake, other well reputed shops are Auto-HQ (Redwood city-Peninsula), LIC Motorsports (Novato?/North Bay) and I'm not sure if EQ Tuning (North Bay) is doing stuff beyond tunes now.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:54 PM

I will admit GST's yelp page shows how good they seem. I might just head in there this weekend and see what they recommend I do / how much it may cost me.

do they normally charge a consultation fee or anything?
thanks for the info.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:58 PM

'tis free as far as I know.

I'm prolly picking up some parts there today...though they are "officially" closed on the weekends, they usually have the door open. Usually tuning, installing, or just plain catching up on stuff I guess.

Say hi to Thugly...he guards the place
Old 07-20-2009, 02:11 PM

well then if I can, I might swing by today after work.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:08 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
welcome aboard!
Old 07-20-2009, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the warm greetings!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:52 AM

thanks for the initial advice. I met with greg yesterday and he'll prolly be the person I take my car to. (when I gots the money of course)
Old 07-21-2009, 02:51 PM

posted some more pics on here. here's the link
https://www.i-club.com/forums/members/shegs-68301-albums-hdr-wrx-499/
the ones up here now are a little old, though not much has changed with my car...
Old 07-21-2009, 03:17 PM

Car Info: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
welcome, u no of any good spots to take good car pics in the bay area

Quick Reply: Subie Newbie says hello.