Newbie & FAQ New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the I-Club group. FAQs will also be answered in here.

Burning smell while driving uphill. . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:41 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Burning smell while driving uphill. . .

I know that nobody can diagnose my car problems over the web, but I figured someone might know where I can start.

When I drive uphill my car starts to smell like burning brakes or something similar. It only happens when I drive uphill. I replaced my clutch and flywheel about 5k miles ago so I doubt it is the clutch slipping, I thought it was my rear brake caliper sticking but it only happens when I drive up a hill. I figured I could measure my brake pads and if there is any difference then it is the caliper pot sticking.

Again I know that it is a kind of stupid thing to ask but I figured MAYBE someone might have had the same problem. . . . .

thanks
Old 10-12-2011, 08:44 PM

Car Info: 1969 Camaro RS & 2004 STI
Originally Posted by Ecential
I know that nobody can diagnose my car problems over the web, but I figured someone might know where I can start.

When I drive uphill my car starts to smell like burning brakes or something similar. It only happens when I drive uphill. I replaced my clutch and flywheel about 5k miles ago so I doubt it is the clutch slipping, I thought it was my rear brake caliper sticking but it only happens when I drive up a hill. I figured I could measure my brake pads and if there is any difference then it is the caliper pot sticking.

Again I know that it is a kind of stupid thing to ask but I figured MAYBE someone might have had the same problem. . . . .

thanks
The burning smell could be a little bit of shake & bake.

Seriously tho, no idea. Exhaust?
Old 10-12-2011, 09:08 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
burning clutch smell is pretty damn distinct IMO once you've smelled one you know it when u smell it again... twss? lol. Ne ways you should try seeing if it smells the same when ur going downhill not a super steep grade but yea. When in doubt always check the cheapest stuff (free) first and move your way up if you don't have a clue about what it might be. Best of luck.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:48 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
the smell seems to be coming from the exhaust area, gonna lift it up tomorrow and look for any tell tale signs of burning along the exhaust. I have ruled out the clutch, it is def. coming from the rear, possibly the muffler. Gonna rip it around the hills tomorrow and try and narrow it down. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
the legacy's are known to get a burning plastic clutch like smell going uphill... some say its our center diff.... i dunno. i havent found it to be detrimental..