Newbie & FAQ New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the I-Club group. FAQs will also be answered in here.

another new girl... we're evening out the population!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 10:46 AM

Car Info: 2001 2.5 RS BRP
Shiseiji - thanks! Haha I can't even see the day when I can take him to Laguna Seca myself yet... but it's so awesome to know that he's been there!! My first tracking experience will definitely be with an instructor, more likely than not at Norcal's Thunderhill.

dickson - we're gonna have identical alarm sounds? :O i find that some people stare when i lock/ unlock my car, like they're not sure where the sound just came from. it's that unique LOL

wombatsauce - thanks a MILLION for all the info - I'm so excited to know that the previous two owners are both on the board, AND that they've taken care of the car so well I love the license plate it had in your possession; in a few weeks it'll be re-christened as "GC BXR" (to match Tim's GR BXR) it'd be awesome if you could find the vid of you driving off when the RS still had Borla header etc.! at the moment the brake pads are still uneven... waiting for a pair of Carbotech AX6's for the front to be delivered... right now when I brake at low speeds, the car trembles pretty badly. We suspect the rotor that came with the $30 WRX calipers may be warped as well.

There's a lot of work to be done and mods planned in this RS's future Today we're gonna install the CF hood scoop... and along with that pics of the gold rims will definitely be posted ^^
Old 10-18-2009, 10:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by djchoongjae
Shiseiji - thanks! Haha I can't even see the day when I can take him to Laguna Seca myself yet... but it's so awesome to know that he's been there!! My first tracking experience will definitely be with an instructor, more likely than not at Norcal's Thunderhill.
I wouldn't trust an organization that let a first timer go out WITHOUT an instructor. My car would definitely not be out on the track when the track is under the control of an entity so irresponsible.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:20 AM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
hey welcome! and nice gc. BRP rules!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:37 PM

Car Info: A honda
Hey Wombat -- thanks for all the additional details, we actually didn't get the folder of receipts but I'm sure when/if Cho runs into them he'll let us know.

You might be interested to know though, that the misfire CEL that plagued you is still around! Looks like it's been around for 50k+ now and plaguing the third owner (that we know of). I ran into a thread here on i-club while searching for the P0304 code and looks like you tired pretty hard to get rid of it too, I'm curious if you ever got around to doing that valve adjustment? Like you I've tried the easy stuff and replaced the plug/wires, the coil looks like it's in excellent condition but it should since you've swapped it out a few yrs back. I've also tried the Seafoam thing and fogged up the street, seems to run a bit smoother but P0304 came back this morning, same as before -- only on cold starts.

Things I'm going to try in the order that I hope will make a difference: Valve adjustment, injector plug/s, knock sensor. Cho swapped the 02 sensor so I don't think that's it, and he also removed the lightened flywheel. If you could let me know what you've tried so I can minimalize the duplicate effort that'd be great . TIA!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
If you need any parts for this let me know I've got a ton of stuff in my garage I need to get rid of. WRX brakes included. I've also go RS goodies too.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:14 PM

Car Info: 91 legacy, 87 mr2, 17 forester xt
yup yup, i put the paranoid fabrication grounding kit never listed it as part of the car

i never had an alignment done but owner before me took it to roger krauss racing for alignment. that was quite a few years ago.

i also did not change the brakepads since i've owned the car.

Originally Posted by anonypuff
^^ Wow, thanks for the history lesson on the car! Always good to know the history of our cars! While working on the car this weekend I was just telling Eva how I felt the previous owner had taken good care of the car, it's actually quite clean under the car/hood for a car of it's age.

I was actually going to pick up a paranoid fabrications grounding kit but noticed this weekend there was already a bunch of grounding wires around the engine bay, saves me some cash!

And yes, we painted the wheels gold this weekend too, came out pretty good for my first set of painted wheels.. not perfect, but not bad at all. We'll get some pics and add it to the thread soon.

The calipers and rotors on there were diff not WRX as the set we installed was a bit larger then the ones on the car. I'm not sure if this set of pads on the car were from you or Cho but I found extremely odd wear on the pads. The inside pad on the right caliper was almost completely gone, i'm talking 5% remaining, while the rest of the pads all had about 30-40% pad life left. We ordered a new set of pads but I'm wondering what could of caused that type of wear.. alignment maybe?

I also noticed the kappa x-over in the rear and I'm pretty sure they're under powered at the moment. Also, the factory sub isn't working at the moment but I haven't had a chance to go into the wiring of that yet, was the sub installed by you? or was it working when you had the car?

I've told Eva not to tailgate anyone with the JDM bumper beam on that car, I believe it takes quite a bit of weight off the front of the car which may have contributed to better handling, up to her if she wants to replace it though.

If you're not too far from Milpitas we'd love to pick up the key from you, you could see your old car again

Last edited by chochocho; 10-20-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:22 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by ipozestu
If you need any parts for this let me know I've got a ton of stuff in my garage I need to get rid of. WRX brakes included. I've also go RS goodies too.
Oh man, I will need some stuff for my '95 coupe as well but I am having money issues at the moment. I need to pick up those stock RS struts from brucelee as soon as I can. Looking for WRX brakes as well, but again got to wait till I sell a car or two at this point. Seriously need seats, looking for stock '98-'01 RS seats at the moment.

That is just crazy that the misfire keeps happening. I did not adjust the valves as I was planning to do that with the 105k maintenance with the timing belt job and all that. I think that is what it recommended in the owner's guide, but I do not remember exactly. It was expensive, so I was saving it for last hoping that the other items would address the issue.

I am extremely surprised since chochocho changed the flywheel as that was the last item in the car that seemed like it could cause the CELs. I had Gruppe-S do the clutch and flywheel in February of 2005, and it was a bad experience that should not be discussed, but the CELs started right after that (actually they started in the parking lot picking the car up, were cleared, and then started coming consistently starting the next morning). I was hoping that getting that flywheel out of the car would cure it of the last remaining traces of the "Gruppe-S Virus," but I guess not. Damn!

The valve adjustment is the only thing left - I changed the plugs, wires, and coil. Pulled my whole exhaust system. Changed the 02 sensors. It actually had different plugs in it when I got it - Champions on the left side of the engine and the correct plugs on the right side. I changed those within 10 miles of owning the car. Also, when I had it - if you mess with the throttle and keep it off idle for about 5 minutes or until you see the temp gauge move, the CEL will stay away. If I would let it idle cold for a minute - bam, CEL.

So it has the Paranoid grounding kit on it, I did not realize that (makes sense as it was added after I had the car). Cool, should never have any grounding issues then haha!!

If there were no suspension changes, the alignment should probably be fine but it is always a good idea to check of course. Roger Kraus Racing is amazing, and the only place I take things for alignment. They also do good deals on tires.

If the brakes were not changed then that means it should have had stock RS rotors, stock '02 WRX calipers and Porterfield R4-S brake pads.

I don't understand why people don't keep the records for a car. I just got my old '95 coupe back and it too had a "folder" of all the money I spent on it, maintenance history etc. I just bought it back and not only is the folder gone, but so is the whole owner's guide and all that stuff.

Oh also I found around 80 more pics from the ones I took the day I bought it up to the ones I took that are posted above. I had some problems with the gallery, but am still working on it - Picasa issues haha.. If I cannot get it worked out I will just put all the pics up for you to download. Also I still have that key - maybe we can meet up one of these days so I can pass it to you. We can meet @ the Milpitas In-n-Out since that's where I bought the RS back in '04.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Oh man, I will need some stuff for my '95 coupe as well but I am having money issues at the moment. I need to pick up those stock RS struts from brucelee as soon as I can. Looking for WRX brakes as well, but again got to wait till I sell a car or two at this point. Seriously need seats, looking for stock '98-'01 RS seats at the moment.

That is just crazy that the misfire keeps happening. I did not adjust the valves as I was planning to do that with the 105k maintenance with the timing belt job and all that. I think that is what it recommended in the owner's guide, but I do not remember exactly. It was expensive, so I was saving it for last hoping that the other items would address the issue.

I am extremely surprised since chochocho changed the flywheel as that was the last item in the car that seemed like it could cause the CELs. I had Gruppe-S do the clutch and flywheel in February of 2005, and it was a bad experience that should not be discussed, but the CELs started right after that (actually they started in the parking lot picking the car up, were cleared, and then started coming consistently starting the next morning). I was hoping that getting that flywheel out of the car would cure it of the last remaining traces of the "Gruppe-S Virus," but I guess not. Damn!

The valve adjustment is the only thing left - I changed the plugs, wires, and coil. Pulled my whole exhaust system. Changed the 02 sensors. It actually had different plugs in it when I got it - Champions on the left side of the engine and the correct plugs on the right side. I changed those within 10 miles of owning the car. Also, when I had it - if you mess with the throttle and keep it off idle for about 5 minutes or until you see the temp gauge move, the CEL will stay away. If I would let it idle cold for a minute - bam, CEL.

So it has the Paranoid grounding kit on it, I did not realize that (makes sense as it was added after I had the car). Cool, should never have any grounding issues then haha!!

If there were no suspension changes, the alignment should probably be fine but it is always a good idea to check of course. Roger Kraus Racing is amazing, and the only place I take things for alignment. They also do good deals on tires.

If the brakes were not changed then that means it should have had stock RS rotors, stock '02 WRX calipers and Porterfield R4-S brake pads.

I don't understand why people don't keep the records for a car. I just got my old '95 coupe back and it too had a "folder" of all the money I spent on it, maintenance history etc. I just bought it back and not only is the folder gone, but so is the whole owner's guide and all that stuff.

Oh also I found around 80 more pics from the ones I took the day I bought it up to the ones I took that are posted above. I had some problems with the gallery, but am still working on it - Picasa issues haha.. If I cannot get it worked out I will just put all the pics up for you to download. Also I still have that key - maybe we can meet up one of these days so I can pass it to you. We can meet @ the Milpitas In-n-Out since that's where I bought the RS back in '04.
Hell man I got a full interior taking up space. Come get it and get me later.... You got my number right?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:34 PM

Car Info: 2001 2.5 RS BRP
wombat - yeah we can definitely meet up one of these days! That's so strange about the CEL... hopefully what Tim's got planned will eliminate it once and for all but from what I'm hearing about it's history, it's really a strange problem o_o

ipozetsu - do you have a list of stuff you've got for sale?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:10 PM

Car Info: WRX 2002
yeah milpitas!
Old 11-09-2009, 08:58 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by djchoongjae
wombat - yeah we can definitely meet up one of these days! That's so strange about the CEL... hopefully what Tim's got planned will eliminate it once and for all but from what I'm hearing about it's history, it's really a strange problem o_o

ipozetsu - do you have a list of stuff you've got for sale?
It's eerie for sure. I would say, do the valve adjustment ASAP. If that doesn't do it then the car is begging for a swap...

Here's a vid I found, but it's crap quality and recorded in widescreen so it looks like the car is squished. Ah well. Also still have loads of pics but I might zip them up into a download for you since I can't seem to get my photo gallery to work (too many pics over the years w/ similar names, makes Picasa go stupid).

Anyway this was in early 2006 after I just installed my Random Tech cat pipe. That made it just too loud and I only ran it like this for about a month. It was wicked at higher rpm but everywhere else it was pretty embarrassing! The idle was dreamy though - I would just listen to it sometimes...

Old 01-29-2010, 03:52 PM
VIP Member

AARG I forgot I still got to get you this key some day. No time these days - maybe I should mail it haha..
Old 03-16-2010, 11:32 PM

Car Info: 2010 WRX
what kinda strut bar u got??
Old 03-16-2010, 11:37 PM

Car Info: 07 STi EQ tuned / 08 LEGACY
welcome to da club!!! btw very clean rs
Old 03-16-2010, 11:37 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon
Gotta love a nice GC

Quick Reply: another new girl... we're evening out the population!