Beat a ticket for Modified Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 04:45 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon- Prodrive axle back, debadged, 225-50-16 S03's summer tires
Talking Beat a ticket for Modified Exhaust

I live in the LAKES REGION of NH. I put a Prodrive muffler on my 03 Wrx wagon shortly after getting it (only mod except for tires). NH's finest (State Police) pulled me over in Sept 03 and gave me a ticket for a "modified exhaust" - IE TOO LOUD; - with a fricking PRODRIVE muffler!!!!!!! I took it to court... The sorry a** (female) trooper had NO idea what the law was - the law said "can't be louder than the the original factory muffler" . I asked her if she had any training or instruction on how a factory Subaru WRX exhaust sounds. Ans. - NO.... She basically admitted she didn't know the law during her testimony. My defense was to first get the car inspected - this month - and I made copies of the garage receipt and took a digital pict of the new sticker. Then I made a audio/vidio strip of the Prodrive muffler at 3500 rpm at 20" and 45 Deg. behind the tailpipe (used for measuring motor cycles exhaust noise in NH) - then swapped out the muffler to the factory muff and made the same audio/vidio of the factory muff. Believe it or not the G.D. factory SOUNDED MUCH LOUDER on a LAPTOP computer than the Prodrive (NO BASS SPEAKERS!!!!!!!!). The Judge let me admit the receipt, the pict of the inspection sticker and the two vidios as evidence and and said he would "take it under consideration and notifiy me by mail". I THINK I BEAT THIS S**T A** TICKET!!!! After playing the vidios the cop was SPEACHLESS... The good old USA - I don't beat many tickets but the ones I beat are SWEET....
Old 01-20-2004, 05:27 PM

Location: Mantana, where the men are men and so are the women
Car Info: '03 red legacy
that's awesome! i salute you!
Old 01-21-2004, 03:11 AM

Car Info: 1999 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - Quick Silver Metallic
Re: Beat a ticket for Modified Exhaust

Originally posted by sridge
The Judge let me admit the receipt, the pict of the inspection sticker and the two vidios as evidence and and said he would "take it under consideration and notifiy me by mail". I THINK I BEAT THIS S**T A** TICKET!!!!
While I wish you all the best, and hope you beat this rap, I don't think you know NH Judges all that well. They are a fickle bunch, and their decisions are largely arbitrary, and often times based more on whims and general impressions, then on FACTs of a given case. They aren't many opportunities for an appeal. If the Judge had been convincied that your case had merit, he should have thown it out immediately instead of differing judgement until later on.

The fact is the stupid trooper thought your exhuast was too loud, and pulled you over for it. I suspect that this judge will likely back her up, and even if you had an independant 'testing' organization submit actual decibal meter evidence, many judges will still err on the side of the trooper.

The law in this case may be reasonable, but many of the Judges aren't. This is one reason why I have yet to install my Brullen cat-back setup on my Legacy GT. I sincerly hope that I am wrong, and you win your case, although I doubt you will.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:01 PM

Car Info: 2005 Impreza WRX STi
Hey guys, I am about a month away from moving to NH or MA, not sure where yet. I have an AVO exhaust and I am told it is quite loud. What are the modified laws there?

I am not liking this......
Old 02-09-2004, 02:57 PM

Car Info: '87 Chevy Nova
congrats.
You're a true patriot.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Ed
First Troll EVA!

Go You!!!!
Old 02-09-2004, 06:10 PM

Car Info: WRB 2003 WRX
Originally posted by sridge
I THINK I BEAT THIS S**T A** TICKET!!!! After playing the vidios the cop was SPEACHLESS... The good old USA - I don't beat many tickets but the ones I beat are SWEET....
Kick A$$ dude!!! way to stick it to the man ..... ummm woman in this case =)
Old 03-11-2004, 01:57 PM

Car Info: Red 04 WRX Wagon
I find most strait exhaust pipes on motorcycles much louder than the modified car exhausts out there. WTF? Why don't those chopper heads get tickets?
Old 03-14-2004, 03:18 PM

my exh is ear drum shattering lound, I am in NH all the time, 2 years now and no exh ticket. Its all in how you drive..
Old 03-15-2004, 05:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: black my03 5mt wrx s/w
how can you get a ticket for noncompliance to state vehicle standards in nh if you have an out of state registration?

ken
Old 04-09-2004, 08:30 PM

Car Info: 98'RS
dont worry about it.with all the bikes nobody will even hear your car.

Quick Reply: Beat a ticket for Modified Exhaust