Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 02:44 PM

Car Info: 02 WRB WRX
bump!! sign-up! :TIA:
Old 05-06-2005, 05:11 PM

Car Info: Spec Miata racecar #36
Originally Posted by 4XREX
bump!! sign-up! :TIA:
***Hey now, no bump-drafting, you hear. Hmmm . . . here's a thought -- what if I try to bump draft your Subie in my Miata . . . would the difference in weight suck me under your bumper? Just kidding . . .

BTW, we now have a total of 33 drivers signed up: 14 in A group (25 max allowed), 10 in B group (25 max), and 9 in C group (20 max). Keep an eye on that driver's list -- http://www.onemain.com/~bonster/driverlist.html Make sure you get your registration in soon so that you don't miss out on the fun!

BW
Old 05-06-2005, 07:52 PM

what kind of lap times are you doing in your miata?
Old 05-08-2005, 12:02 PM

what kind of lap times are you doing in your miata?
***On race days? I'm a mid-packer -- around 2:12-2:14 . . . I need to start passing more aggressively instead of letting traffic hold me up. On open track events where I am the organizer so it would not look good if I spun my car out or went off track? Only around probably a 2:16 (I don't bother with the lap timer on non-race days anymore). Even when I am instructing for other clubs, I tone it down a bit. NASA has a new rule for instructors that says if an instructor spins, goes off track, etc., that instructor cannot drive for the rest of the day (excluding race warm-up, etc). It kinda stinks, but I can understand why they'd have the rule. The fastest Spec Miata time at Thunderhill so far is Justin Hall who clocked a 2:09:52!!! That's a SPEC Miata -- no engine mods, nothing. Holy crap he's fast! I think the fastest ever time at Thunderhill was with a Spec Ford at 1:49-something, or close to that. I wonder how fast an F1 car could take that track? <drool>

Anyway, I'm still a bit slow yet, compared to my racing peers, but at least I'm not last place (phew!). But most of those guys have been racing almost as long as I've been alive, so I don't take it to heart much. I am only there to have total butt-puckering FUN. I wouldn't mind a podium finish one of these days, though. That never hurts.

BW
Old 05-08-2005, 12:10 PM

you know ill be there

does group A have open passing all day?

Last edited by Daredevil; 05-08-2005 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Daredevil
you know ill be there

does group A have open passing all day?
***We have three Subies already in A group already signed up, are you one of them? If not, hey . . . you're gonna have some friends to play with! And yes, A group has open passing all day unless folks start getting out of hand (making stupid passes, dive-bombing, etc), in which case it will be restricted to B group passing rules. We've not yet had to restrict A group since we decided to make it open passing, and I doubt we'll be doing it this time. Usually when folks realize they could have their fun taken away, they behave.

So are you signed up yet?

BW
Old 05-08-2005, 01:22 PM

Car Info: 05' Evo MR w/E85 - 10' Ralliart Sportback w/E85
Originally Posted by Bonster
The fastest Spec Miata time at Thunderhill so far is Justin Hall who clocked a 2:09:52!!! That's a SPEC Miata -- no engine mods, nothing.

That's a pretty good time in a Miata on R's.

I clicked off a 2:11 last time at thunderhill. 2:14 in traffic. I was still getting used to the EVO on track. Stock tires, stock suspension except for upgraded rear sway bar and alignment. Power mods where turboback and MBC.

How many cars to you allow in A group Bonni? I might be signing up. I have a GGLC thill day on July 27th so I am trying to decide if I want to do two open track events in July. :P
Old 05-08-2005, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by earlyapex
That's a pretty good time in a Miata on R's.

I clicked off a 2:11 last time at thunderhill. 2:14 in traffic.

How many cars to you allow in A group Bonni? I might be signing up. I have a GGLC thill day on July 27th so I am trying to decide if I want to do two open track events in July. :P
***Yeah, Justin is hecka fast and really puts his cars on the edge. Unfortunately, I don't know how long we'll see those kinds of times, as the sanctioning body is starting to look at the Sunbelt motors, as there is rumor that the engines are not legal for the SM class. So much for a grassroots race class (which is why I built an SM in the first place -- so much for 'cheap racing'). I don't think we'll be seeing a Spec Miata go faster than that. Just when I start getting my lap times down, the top dogs sharpen their fangs.

And hey, you're no slouch yourself, but from watching the races, I know your Evo can go much faster. We'll have to work on that, eh? But yes, R compounds would make a huge difference, along with suspension upgrades, bigger brakes . . . oops. Sorry, I am a bad influence.

I typically max group A and group B to 25 cars. My ceiling is 30, but I rarely will allow more than 25 for safety reasons. Keep an eye on the drivers list -- http://www.onemain.com/~bonster/driverlist.html so that you can make sure you get your reg in before it fills would be my suggestion. At this point, if we keep getting Subie sign ups (at least, in A group it's looking this way), I'm going to have to call it a Subaru Club day. You guys are as crazy as the Miata crowd about track time.

Oh, in regards to whether to do both events in July -- hell yeah! Why not?!? I go to as many as I possibly can . . . I can't make the GGLC day most likely -- my boss gives me a rash of crap as it is when I take off days for T.E.A.M. (but if I cry and whine and kick and scream he'll let me go (I'm not that bad, but I have thought about trying that technique) -- then I just gotta come up with money, lol).

Anyway, I hope to see you again. IIRC, you were at the Valentine's event, weren't you? Your username looks familiar . . .

BW
Old 05-09-2005, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bonster
***We have three Subies already in A group already signed up, are you one of them? If not, hey . . . you're gonna have some friends to play with! And yes, A group has open passing all day unless folks start getting out of hand (making stupid passes, dive-bombing, etc), in which case it will be restricted to B group passing rules. We've not yet had to restrict A group since we decided to make it open passing, and I doubt we'll be doing it this time. Usually when folks realize they could have their fun taken away, they behave.

So are you signed up yet?

BW

don't have the $ just about to purchase a cage

once i get the $ me and my other buddy with his suby will sign up. and so far it looks like i personally know everyone who has a suby and who is attending
Old 05-16-2005, 04:55 PM

who has the best prices on lap timers?
Old 05-16-2005, 05:10 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
subscribe to thread...
Old 05-18-2005, 06:16 PM

who has the best prices on lap timers?
***You can borrow mine -- free unless you break it (it's a Long Acre unit). You'll need to purchase some phone cable is all (this is what links the receiver to the display), and figure out a way to mount it (I super glued some double sided velcro on my glovebox panel -- but this is a racecar, you might not wanna go that far if this is your street baby) or put it in the glovebox, etc. You can't just flop it in the pax seat, in other words. Let me know on your form if you would like to borrow it -- I don't bother timing myself at the T.E.A.M. days because I am never focused enough to go very fast.

BW
Old 05-18-2005, 09:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
Thunderhill is a great track and I recommend it to all; Advanced, Intermediate, and Novice.

Last edited by Lowball; 05-23-2005 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:17 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon, 14 Forester XT, 96 Miata
Me and my mom are signed up, I'm David in the A group and she is Helen in C. See you guys there. this is for the TEAM Racing 7/18 event
Old 05-19-2005, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by debbid
Me and my mom are signed up, I'm David in the A group and she is Helen in C. See you guys there. this is for the TEAM Racing 7/18 event
***Ah yes . . . Helen with the RX8. Watch your mirrors, C group drivers . . . 'mom' here isn't exactly sporting a cane.

BW

Last edited by Bonster; 05-19-2005 at 08:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Track Day 7-18-05, T-Hill