Northbay Beer Drinkers Untie!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 04:54 PM

Car Info: 4日本車
I'd love to run E85, but closest ones are Hayward, and one in SJ. Please, do tell how you are running around on E85 without local stations?
Old 06-14-2009, 08:47 AM

Car Info: old awd turbo thangy
There's a station in Fairfield and I just fill up 55gal drums. Got a rotary pump from harbor frieght for $30 that works great. Plus the evos ecu stores two maps so I always have a 91map as backup if need be... After running e85 though it would be real hard to go back to 91. It's not like race gas where you just get more power. It makes the car run soooo much better in every way possible idle, part throttle, decel, between shifts etc are all noticably smoother.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by ssteve
There's a station in Fairfield and I just fill up 55gal drums. Got a rotary pump from harbor frieght for $30 that works great. Plus the evos ecu stores two maps so I always have a 91map as backup if need be... After running e85 though it would be real hard to go back to 91. It's not like race gas where you just get more power. It makes the car run soooo much better in every way possible idle, part throttle, decel, between shifts etc are all noticably smoother.
Hmmmmmm, you're onto something. There are probably more than just a couple of us who'd be interested in running the juice though. We'd need more than one or two drums to keep us fueled on a weekly basis, adding in any motorsports events that would drain more than normal from our tanks. It'd be cool if Redwood Oil would just start carrying the **** and sell it by the drum like they used to sell race fuel to consumers. I would definitely pitch in, and help out in any way I could (short of driving to get drums since I have no truck lol). Feel free to PM me to discuss this further though, as I was already planning on running race gas for motorsports events, but this would be cheaper, and more practical.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:30 PM

Car Info: old awd turbo thangy
Redwood and other companies won't be selling it for awhile. There's only a few places who have it and that's pearsons and propel fuels in which both companies have several stations who carry it. The reason why they were even able to get it is because they had the citys and the state chip in on the station upgrades which from what I understand is extremely expensive. As part of it they also secured contracts with the city saying the city will run all their cars on it. Without those contracts it wouldn't be possible as the stations need to purchase it in such large quantities. So really the only way someone could sell it by the drum at this point would be to drive a truck to the station and fill drums then jack up the price(highly against the law), or to install a storage facility for it and pump into drums. Which would cost millions and would not at all be profitable at this point since there's so few people running it as a race fuel.

Yeah so long story short, don't expect to be able to buy it in drums for a very long time, if ever. I would assume that by the time(if ever) that it gets to a point where there's a demand large enough to justify drum sales, that it will be in enough stations where it will completely get rid of that demand.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:43 PM

Car Info: '07 OBP STI
Is it beer time yet?
Old 07-13-2009, 09:50 PM

Car Info: 12 Impreza Wagon, RIP 91 Honda Civic Wagon :(
I think Brian's traveling this month ... but perhaps Andy can play host this time?
Old 07-15-2009, 10:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Hahahaha!!! I haven't left for Finland yet!

Let's shoot for next Friday. Any other suggestions for locations? Third St. Aleworks?

-Brian
Old 07-16-2009, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by eastbaysubaru
Hahahaha!!! I haven't left for Finland yet!

Let's shoot for next Friday. Any other suggestions for locations? Third St. Aleworks?

-Brian
I always get confused with what "next" means in American English when you are talking about days of the week ... so do you mean July 17th or July 24th?

Jane
Old 07-16-2009, 01:13 PM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
not the 24th ill be in vegas!
Old 07-16-2009, 01:45 PM
VIP Member

I was thinking the 24th, but we can always change it up. The only other thing I've got going it RALLY FINLAND! I'll be gone the 29th through the 3rd. It seems like we get a better turnout on the weekends though. When do you get back from Vegas?

-Brian
Old 07-16-2009, 10:07 PM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
I'm just gone the 22-25 but ill be back home about 7pm on the 25th but i can always go to the next one. N you lucky bastard with rally finland. There must be a meet after so we can all see the pics.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:10 PM

So any word yet or are we taking a rain check this month?
Old 07-22-2009, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by RallyWagon
So any word yet or are we taking a rain check this month?
I'm taking a rain check for July at least, as my car's in the shop getting finished before BAM next month, and even without my subie, I'm just really busy the next couple weeks to make a get together.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by vodka
I'm taking a rain check for July at least, as my car's in the shop getting finished before BAM next month, and even without my subie, I'm just really busy the next couple weeks to make a get together.
Looking forward to seeing what more you've done to your car at BAM.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:02 PM
VIP Member

I've got my grandfather-in-law coming out this weekend, and then I'm off to Finland on Wednesday next week, so it looks like we'll be postponing this for at least two weeks. I'm thinking we'll just plan for the weekend after the BAM for our next beer meet. I'll check back in when I get back and figure out a time/place.

-Brian

Quick Reply: Northbay Beer Drinkers Untie!