New meet 9:30pm Fridays, Scotts Valley-Santa Cruz area

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 10:54 AM

Car Info: WRB '02 WRX
Just tires, and they're all-seasons: not really super sticky on asphalt, and they are stock width.

I think the biggest factor is just that you were new to that road. We should have been going slower for the downhill, and I'll take the blame for that: It's easy for me to forget that you don't ALL live up here in these mountains...

We should make it clearer that the pack WILL stop and wait frequently, so there's no reason to try to keep up if you feel you're at your limit. There are NO bragging rights at stake, and everyone should go only as fast as they are comfortable.

Good luck today at SSC.
(And your list of intended mods looks a lot like mine...)

Later,
M
Old 08-08-2004, 11:01 AM

Domino asked me by PM what the route was, and I thought I'd post it here so the stay-at-homes could see it too...

Mt Hermon --> Grahm Hill (one block) --> Felton-Empire Rd --> Empire Grade (south) --> Smith Grade --> Bonny Doon/Pine Flat --> Empire Grade (north, where Dom left us) --> Jameson Creek(screetch...ouch) --> 236 --> Hwy 9.

Good times,
M
Old 08-08-2004, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by BluBuru
Domino asked me by PM what the route was, and I thought I'd post it here so the stay-at-homes could see it too...

Mt Hermon --> Grahm Hill (one block) --> Felton-Empire Rd --> Empire Grade (south) --> Smith Grade --> Bonny Doon/Pine Flat --> Empire Grade (north, where Dom left us) --> Jameson Creek(screetch...ouch) --> 236 --> Hwy 9.

Good times,
M
Awww dont post the route public! Oh well I guess Im jut paranoid. We can do something else Wednesday night, in case Ponch & John show up on our old route. I really dont understand why they dont do this more! I mean, most of the drives are publicly posted, announced and scheduled. If I were a cop I'd totally stake out a route...well actually if I were a cop I purposefully would avoid the area to be nice, but you know what I mean.

I think the biggest factor is just that you were new to that road. We should have been going slower for the downhill, and I'll take the blame for that: It's easy for me to forget that you don't ALL live up here in these mountains...

We should make it clearer that the pack WILL stop and wait frequently, so there's no reason to try to keep up if you feel you're at your limit. There are NO bragging rights at stake, and everyone should go only as fast as they are comfortable.
Yeah, we could be more careful, especially on downhills, but now that you mention it, there are some things to keep in mind that would make less dangerous without making it less fun. The first thing is that we will stop at any intersection, so dont worry about getting lost. Second is if you *feel* like you're pushing too hard, or are getting nervous, listen to your instincts. Third (the one I'm a fan of) is to make sure you're at the right place in the pack. I guess I was riding Baja's butt near the beginning (oops, sorry!) but he let me right by at the first checkpoint. Had I been in front of any of you three, Id have done the same.

Fourth thing is hazard flashers: for an oncoming car, extremely dangerous corner, etc. If its safe to take your hands off the wheel, light em up.

Hope Im not preaching to you guys...just gettin it all out there.

McD- I think that nothing you do will make as much of a difference as new tires. Those RE92's are flat-out dangerous. The WRX is an extremely well balanced car once you get some more grip in the front.

Are those Rotas really only 7.5 wide? I thought they'd be at least 8. My new rims are in the mail and are 17x8.5

Last edited by Domino; 08-08-2004 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Domino
Awww dont post the route public! Oh well I guess Im jut paranoid. We can do something else Wednesday night, in case Ponch & John show up on our old route. I really dont understand why they dont do this more! I mean, most of the drives are publicly posted, announced and scheduled. If I were a cop I'd totally stake out a route...well actually if I were a cop I purposefully would avoid the area to be nice, but you know what I mean.
No prob: next time we'll go somewhere else. We havn't yet scratched the surface of good roads in this county.

No harm posting were we've BEEN, I figgure.
(Maybe we should post a "decoy route" up here, and then go somewhere completely different...)

Originally Posted by Domino
Yeah, we could be more careful, especially on downhills, but now that you mention it, there are some things to keep in mind that would make less dangerous without making it less fun. The first thing is that we will stop at any intersection, so dont worry about getting lost. Second is if you *feel* like you're pushing too hard, or are getting nervous, listen to your instincts. Third (the one I'm a fan of) is to make sure you're at the right place in the pack. I guess I was riding Baja's butt near the beginning (oops, sorry!) but he let me right by at the first checkpoint. Had I been in front of any of you three, Id have done the same.

Fourth thing is hazard flashers: for an oncoming car, extremely dangerous corner, etc. If its safe to take your hands off the wheel, light em up.

Hope Im not preaching to you guys...just gettin it all out there.
If you preach, then you preach truth, brutha. All good ideas.

In hind sight, I should have been flashing hazzards through that section. I'm not used to leading, and I havn't gotten that good at it yet. If anyone comes out this week who knows the roads, I'd be happy to be a follower...

Lookin' forward to it...
M
Old 08-08-2004, 04:11 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Talking

Grrreat news! Nothing is wrong with the car! :banana:
SCS RULES!

Went and took some pics of the site, and if it had been daytime I dont think it would have happened. Right where I started to go off the road is where it got straight.
I do agree though, having been more familiar with the road would have helped prevent this.

On my way out I was one car behind Baja(Ben).

I totally agree, nothing wrong with preaching, in fact I can be a living testimony to other new comers about driving at your own pace.

Here are the pics I took today:

http://www.slakin.net/04WRX/8-8-2004-JCR/
Old 08-08-2004, 07:34 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX
Talking

So... How about Thursday, everyone?
M
If we met on Thursdays, that would be good for me. I always have to work Friday-Sunday nights. Even Wednesday nights would be good!

Thanks!
Jeromey
Old 08-08-2004, 08:20 PM

How about Thursday this week (with appologies to LongTravel), and Wednesdays after that?

Maybe 8 or 8:30?

Wadayall think?
Old 08-08-2004, 08:36 PM

Car Info: 2006 BSP LGT / 2004 JBP FXT
how about 7:30 8:00 instead. That would make it better for me.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:55 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by BajaNut
I second this notion.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by BajaNut
Thats gettin pretty early...more people on the roads. We didnt get stuck behind anyone the whole night (cept for the van for like 2 seconds...and that dumb prelude) but it sucks a fat fat one to get stuck.

Whats everyone think?
-D
Old 08-08-2004, 09:30 PM

Talking

I third the notion for Thursday night! Although I do agree with Domino that 7:30-8pm is a little too early (sorry BajaNut!). Whatever works for everyone though. The more people the better. Anyway, I'll be there Thursday if we all agree on it for this week.

-J

Last edited by 1badrex; 08-08-2004 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:35 PM

Im good with any night...itd be best if we could do it Wednesday so that LongTravel could come, but Im down for whatever night.

-Dom
Old 08-08-2004, 09:45 PM

It seems like this week its either Wed and no mcdrama, or Thurs and no LongTravel...

I was figgurin' that L.T. makes two other meets each week, and probably gets more chances than mcd to "get his ya yas out". That's why I was thinkin' Thursday for this week: mcdrama probably wants a chance to "get back on the horse". (I should let him speak for himself on that...)

As to time: what if we met up at 8ish, and had a casual hang-and-chat session untill the roads quiet down around 9...

Also: does anyone feel like meeting up any earlier for sushi?
M
Old 08-08-2004, 10:12 PM

Its up to you guys, I am down either way. ;D

I like the 8ish idea.

I have gotten back on my horse already! I am still a little shaky, but in time skill will build.
LongTravel(sorry, forget your name) seems like a good driver for being my same age(22). Then again, I only got my license 2.5 years ago. Most of my driving experience has been off road (or very little road) in the hills of Lompico in a VW van, and dirt bikes.

Anways....

I am going to head up to UCKK on Tuesday to get a stock Sedan sway bar from Zee.
Anyone know whats needed to install it? Do I just need to jack up the back and get my socket set out and maybe a torque wrench?
Anyone have experience doing this? Will I need new end links?
Old 08-08-2004, 10:13 PM

Talking

Thursday night, 8ish is good for me. As for Sushi, I'm up for the experience!

-J

Quick Reply: New meet 9:30pm Fridays, Scotts Valley-Santa Cruz area