Any interest in a 4 seasons Rally series again?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 02:32 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Any interest in a 4 seasons Rally series again?

We did this in 2001 and had as many as 26 cars turn out for a couple of them, but interest seemed to fall off and apart from Golden West, Redwood Rendezvous, and the pro rallies, I haven't been writing much in the way of new rallies.

I would probably re-throw a couple of the 2001 rallies and add a couple of new ones, but I'd need to know that we'd get at least 10 cars entered for the whole series to be worth doing.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:38 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
sweet avatar
Old 02-08-2007, 03:27 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Sportwagon
You know we'll be there
Old 02-08-2007, 04:00 PM

Car Info: 07 Satin Pearl White STi
psoper what exactly do you mean rally? Sorry for being stupid, can you explain in more detail i.e. requirments, fees etc..

Cheers
Old 02-08-2007, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Irishdude
psoper what exactly do you mean rally? Sorry for being stupid, can you explain in more detail i.e. requirments, fees etc..

Cheers
Well.....

Rally means a lot of things to a lot of different people. Rally America and NASA Rallysport put on closed course stage rallies like the WRC, I don't expect that many i-clubbers have the skills or equipment to indulge in flat out racing on forest roads, but there are several other types of rally that are much more accesible for us mortals.

In this case I am referring to what is also called a "road rally" - basically it is a legal competition involving teams consisting of a driver and navigator (or "co-driver").

The rules of the competition can change depending on the format of the event, for example;

One type is called an A/B rally, where you attempt to follow instructions that have 2 parts, one of which can be done first or is more valid, you mark which choice A or B you do for every instruction, and your final score is based on how many you got right. While there will be an overall time allowed, this format does not require calculations or watching clocks for staying on time

A format that does involve timing but still not much in the way of calculations is often called Pan-Am or "map based monte carlo", where you are given maps showing standoff locations, and instructions that tell you what time you need to get to each checkpoint.
You then chose your own route to each standoff where you get more information about exactly where each checkpoint actually is, then you get timed at the checkpoints, each second early or late costs you a point and the team that finishes with the fewest points wins.

A standard Time-Speed-Distance format gives you very explicit instructions on where to go, where to turn what time to start from various points along the route and how fast you need to try to average. Then you get timed going past checkpoints, but you have no idea where they are or when you are supposed to get there, other than following the instructions and holding the assigned speeds.
Here math skills can come in handy for determining when you should be exactly where, but you can also do this and have fun just running "seat of the pants"- Again the team with the fewest points wins.

Last time I threw one event that was sort of a combination of the PanAM and TSD format, where you had explicit routes to follow with many "possible checkpoints" listed with key times, but only some of them are actually manned with timing crews, so in this case its up to you to stay on course and on time, but unless you calculate everything out (and you probably won't have time) you need to estimate the speeds required.

For this series we would run them on weekends, probably during the day, start locations would be in Livermore, Santa Cruz, Crissy Field, and Berkeley, and route mileage will typically be between 50 and 100 miles, probably taking 3-4 hours with breaks and finishing some place where we can get pizza or something

I would like to have these insured so if somebody does make a mistake I won't get my house sued out from under me, that will cost about $120 per event, so if I can get 10 cars to pay say $15-20 entry fees on each event, we can have a little "prize fund" as well as covering most of the actual event costs.

On the other hand, if we get only 4 or 5 cars, I'd need to charge $20-30 just to cover the insurance, so unless I know we have enough interested people, I really can't justify the effort.

Last edited by psoper; 02-08-2007 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by sigma pi
sweet avatar
I only got 50 x 50 pixels, not much you can do in that tiny a space
Old 02-08-2007, 09:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
But of course oh rally leader!

-Brian
Old 02-08-2007, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by psoper
A format that does involve timing but still not much in the way of calculations is often called Pan-Am or "map based monte carlo", where you are given maps showing standoff locations, and instructions that tell you what time you need to get to each checkpoint.
You then chose your own route to each standoff where you get more information about exactly where each checkpoint actually is, then you get timed at the checkpoints, each second early or late costs you a point and the team that finishes with the fewest points wins.
I'm heading down to a map-based monte carlo rally tomorrow (ITN) way down in Escindido near San Diego. Should be lots of fun.

There will be more if anyone wants to do a caravan down to the LA area.

3 more culminating in an all-nighter from Santa Barbara to Las Vegas.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1175405
Old 02-09-2007, 04:47 PM

So I figured two or three Brian's would be down, but it needs to be more than that or it ain't happening
Old 02-09-2007, 06:01 PM
The Seventh Sister

Car Info: MY04 Forester XT
Roo and I would be interested for sure, especially if the rallies are local here in the Bay Area.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:17 AM

Better than 8 hours (10 hours with a few 'backroad side trips') to San Diego!

BTW, Hollister to Rt 25 E to 198N to Coalinga = teh awesome. Next ITN, I suggest we do a caravan -- I'll take you to some of my favorite roads.

I'll represent for the bay area subies tomorrow. Wish me luck
Old 02-10-2007, 10:17 PM

Car Info: 12 Impreza Wagon, RIP 91 Honda Civic Wagon :(
Glad to see this got posted. Of course I'm in - working or competing.

Give it a few more days, I'm sure we'll round up some more folks.

Jane
Old 02-14-2007, 05:25 PM
hp

im down no matter what!
Old 02-14-2007, 06:47 PM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX Sedan
I'd be down for a PanAM format rally, as long as there are enough participants.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Angelus897
I'd be down for a PanAM format rally, as long as there are enough participants.
The idea for the 4-seasons challenge is for participants to get out and try different formats, and that "enough participants" provision is why I posted this in the first place.

And judging from the response so far it isn't looking good- the first 5 people that responded were folks I either expected would be in or was counting on for control workers.

I need to see some new names, and more than a handful before I'm going to say this is going to happen.

Quick Reply: Any interest in a 4 seasons Rally series again?