2.5 Overheating/Cracked Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 04:58 PM

I experienced the same problem on a my '97 Legacy 2.5 at about 88,000 miles. It began as mysterious overheating problem one day, suddenly while chasing an RX-7. Anyway, I immediately pulled over, allowed the car to cool down a bit, filled the radiator and drove the car several weeks over several hundred miles before the problem reappeared. I actually dismissed it as just low coolant level, and figured everything was O.K. Not so; the problem appeared again and with much more regularity later. So I did all the easy checks: antifreeze concetration, thermostat, radiator for internal/external blockage. Everything was O.K. Checking a little deeper, I did a cooling system pressure test, which was not really conclusive, so I did a leak- down test. I found low cylinder pressure in two cylinders in opposite banks of the engine. The worse of the two, would actually cause the water level in the radiator to rise and over flow. I immediately surmised, failed head gasket or cracked head.
This is what I think happened, although I'm not actually sure. The original problem was due to a failed head gasked, which was probably caused by severely over-revving the engine. I distictly remember two occasions earlier in the car's history, over-revving the engine by inadvertently shifting from 3rd. to 2nd. gear (3rd.-4th. shift intended). What further leads to that suspicion is that, the other cylinder on the other side of the engine that had low compression, had low compression because of a bent valve (sign of over-rev) and nothing else wrong.
The problem is that after repeated over heating without correcting the problem, eventually lead to warping and cracing the "bad head", which also lead to a damaged deck surface and glazed cyl. bore for the corresponding cylinder. So I fixed it the following way: New Subaru assembled short block and two reman. cyl. head and engine gasket set. At the same time the engine was out I replaced the clutch parts. Total parts were about $2300 to $2400. I saved on the labor because I did the work myself, but I agree with the $4000 to $5000 figure to pay someone else to do the job.
MORAL TO THE STORY! If you ever encounter this problem in your Subaru, have it fixed immediately, so that a head or gasket don't end up being an entire engine job. I hope that helps
Wes
Old 02-28-2003, 07:47 AM

Car Info: 98 GT Wagon
Thought I would chime in here. My 98 GT Wagon has 112K-miles on her with no sign of the HeadGasket problem(knocks on wood!) I would also note that this cars service schedule lists the Timing Belt to be done at 105K-miles, so the OB you're considering isn't yet due. But, if there are any leaks inside the belt covers all bets are off, and best to replace the belt if contaminated.

Glenn O

Quick Reply: 2.5 Overheating/Cracked Cylinder