Seatbelt Beep / can I get rid of it???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 08:43 AM

Car Info: WRX
Seatbelt Beep / can I get rid of it???

vehicle: Legacy Outback XT 2005

problem: really, REALLY annoying beep happens when driver OR passenger does not fasten their seatbelt right away.

Does anyone know how to disable this, stop the beeping, rip out the beeper, etc.. ANYTHING?!?! please help...

thanks!
Old 11-28-2005, 01:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
This supposedly works, though I don't know for sure.

1. turn ignition to "on" (first) position.
2. plug/unplug the seatbelt 20 times in 30 seconds.
3. turn ignition off
4. turn ignition on to start the engine.

I tried it, but I still get the seatbelt chime. Other people claim it works.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:57 PM

Car Info: it has 4 wheels and it runs.
Originally Posted by nKoan
This supposedly works, though I don't know for sure.

1. turn ignition to "on" (first) position.
2. plug/unplug the seatbelt 20 times in 30 seconds.
3. turn ignition off
4. turn ignition on to start the engine.

I tried it, but I still get the seatbelt chime. Other people claim it works.

it works.... i'd recommend plug n unplug 25-30times really really quickly

i love how it got rid of that sound.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:53 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
trying wearing your seatbelt. It beeps for a reason. Why would you want to disable something that is a safety feature/reminder?
Old 12-02-2005, 01:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: AWD & RWD JDM
Originally Posted by ish
trying wearing your seatbelt. It beeps for a reason. Why would you want to disable something that is a safety feature/reminder?
Spare us the guilt trip. Do you religiously put your seatbelt on 5 SECONDS (not exaggerating here) after you start the ignition? He wants to disable the NOISE because it's ANNOYING. I religiously wear my seatbelt everytime I'm DRIVING, but I would appreciate the freedom of not having a stupid noisy thing go off everytime I'm just sitting in my car for a few seconds while waiting for the engine to warm up or cool down, or whenever I'm just moving my car around my parking lot.

powereli, this PROBLEM affects all 06 models, not just Legacys. There are no known solutions to this ISSUE, and any that have been offered are merely facetious statements made by non-06 owners that are on some high horse because they aren't experiencing this "scheisse," which they believe they would be immune to because they all religiously put their seat belts on 5 SECONDS after starting their ignitions. The only real solution to this irksome noise is likely to be a physical one, whereby a wire is cut or something. I suppose we'll have to wait for an engineer or someone akin to that to get an 06 and free us all from this bloody nonsense.

Last edited by herrjr; 12-02-2005 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:17 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally Posted by herrjr
Spare us the guilt trip. Do you religiously put your seatbelt on 5 SECONDS (not exaggerating here) after you start the ignition? He wants to disable the NOISE because it's ANNOYING. I religiously wear my seatbelt everytime I'm DRIVING, but I would appreciate the freedom of not having a stupid noisy thing go off everytime I'm just sitting in my car for a few seconds while waiting for the engine to warm up or cool down, or whenever I'm just moving my car around my parking lot.

powereli, this PROBLEM affects all 06 models, not just Legacys. There are no known solutions to this ISSUE, and any that have been offered are merely facetious statements made by non-06 owners that are on some high horse because they aren't experiencing this "scheisse," which they believe they would be immune to because they all religiously put their seat belts on 5 SECONDS after starting their ignitions. The only real solution to this irksome noise is likely to be a physical one, whereby a wire is cut or something. I suppose we'll have to wait for an engineer or someone akin to that to get an 06 and free us all from this indemnity.
no guilt trip, just an honest opinion/observation. And no, I don't put my seat belt on 5 seconds after starting the ignition, I always put my seatbelt on before I start the car. Even if I am sitting in a parking spot letting the vehicle warm up. Just habit I guess.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:52 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally Posted by ish
no guilt trip, just an honest opinion/observation. And no, I don't put my seat belt on 5 seconds after starting the ignition, I always put my seatbelt on before I start the car. Even if I am sitting in a parking spot letting the vehicle warm up. Just habit I guess.
same here

What if you were 'just sitting there' parked in street parking and someone came up behind you and rear ended you...

Why wouldn't you not always have your seatbelt on..it should be a habit.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
To each their own...but imagine this.

Suppose you get injured in a parking lot accident. The insurance company finds out you disabled your seat belt safety chime....do you think they would hesitate to deny your claim?

May or may not happen, but worth considering.

And I put on my seatbelt prior to starting the car. It's a habit from driver's ed class....we had a die hard drill instructoroid of a teacher....