new to me 1998 Brighton legacy

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 09:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Rims from the Outback, GT, 2.5RS, WRX, etc. should all bolt on.

Don't know about the headrests, but I would assume you should be able to find ones you want from a junkyard. You might have to test fit to see if they fit, though.

I would also recomend some brakes, possibly. IIRC, the Brightons had very small brakes.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:02 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Alot of that generation legacy upgrades are related to Impreza upgrades, minus the swaybars. You can use Impreza suspension parts and such, and the same with engine mods. Basically, everything but body kits and swaybars you can relate to Impreza modifications for the car.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:26 PM

Car Info: 1999 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - Quick Silver Metallic
Seriously -

From the Brighton to the GT - pretty much all the '95 to '99 Subaru Legacy seats suck. Worring about a minor detail like headrests is silly... look for someone selling WRX seats - those seats are excellent. Very comfortable - although you will sit slightly higher up... Not having a sun roof, you SHOULD have plenty of headroom so that shouldnt be an issue (unlike me in my GT LTD with a moon roof that has only marginal headroom).

The stock Legacy GT wheels are very nice looking, but they are a real pain to keep clean. the 15" Legacy "L" Alloy wheels are much easier to keep clean AND they are much stronger. Almost everyone who has a set of GT wheels has at some point managed to damage at least one wheel. Another option would be the Stock WRX wheels - very strong, not bad looking, easy to clean and they are big enough to do a "WRX brake upgrade", should you opt for serious stopping performance. Also lots of folks with WRX opt out for a set of aftermarket wheels/tyres, so its fairly easy to find someone selling a set of WRX wheels fairly cheaply.

The 2.2 Litre motor with the slush box is some what gutless, although the engine is generally highly reliable as long as you have the regular maintenance work done.

Depending on how much upgrade money you wish to spend, doing a WRX brake upgrade and maybe a set of H&R springs (or maybe used Legacy or '98 - 2000 RS springs & struts) might be feasible, although not nessasary.

If it were me I would opt for a set of WRX seats, maybe a set of WRX tyres & wheels, and a stereo upgrade first before doing over the suspension & brakes.