Latest i-Club Reviews, Features, and Articles Features, product reviews, tech, and news

WRX 6MT Swap -- Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 03:34 PM

Car Info: 02 silver impreza wrx
so if i find a legacy rear end, all i have to do is switch over the wrx internals, and get the ring gear from the legacy pressed on to the wrx lsd rear. sounds easy enough. what year legacy do i have to get the rear off?.
oh and is the legacy rear a r160, or an r180? if so do i have to change the axles over, or can i use my stockers?
so many questions, so little time..
by the way, if anyones selling a 6mt, i am interested, so let me know.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:01 PM

Car Info: 09 E90 M3 SEDAN w/DCT
Yes, it is that simple. And, to your surprise, you only have to bolt the ring gear in, not press it! Just use some good locktite ln the 5 or 10 bolts.

I am not sure of the year of the Legacy diff, but I will find out ASAP for you.

They are both R160, no axle changes required...no worries. I just bought a complete R180/Axles/Hubs/Brembo setup, that is why I am selling my rear undercarriage.

Hope my info helps.

Andy
Old 01-19-2003, 05:29 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by vadim
I'm also interested in this swap and money wise.
I'd love to drop 6mt in my 03 wrx.. Besides all the advtages it also can use another gear too for highway driving.
thx
Hmm, I seem to recall that the 6MT ratios were more tightly spaced, but that 6th gear ended up being slightly less overdriven than 5th in the 5MT. I just can't remember where I might have seen this, though... sorry. The 6MT's chief advantage is strength and durability, not necessarily performance. It's a tough *****.

Old 01-21-2003, 09:50 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally posted by RSierra
Does anyone know the length difference between the the Sti rear axles and the US OEM sedan rear axles?

Also, is there a difference in the spline diameter and spline count?

Does anyone have a copy of the Subaru parts catalog on CD that they wouldn't mine burning a copy for a fellow WRX enthusiast?
You should be able to find a dealer parts person who will hook you up. I haven't tried yet though, so I don't have a source.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:55 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally posted by Wingless Wonder
Hmm, I seem to recall that the 6MT ratios were more tightly spaced, but that 6th gear ended up being slightly less overdriven than 5th in the 5MT. I just can't remember where I might have seen this, though... sorry. The 6MT's chief advantage is strength and durability, not necessarily performance. It's a tough *****.
I seem to recall this too, I was disappointed I wouldn't be able to reduce revs and improve my measly 26 mpg on the freeway. 3100@75mph sucks *****.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:36 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
It will cost you far more than 3k
I would estimate 12hrs labor plus parts
parts are hard to guess I have seen DCCD trans go for 5500

And about what rear ends that can be used for the swap ALL subaru r160 rear end that Is anything that is 4wd but I don't know about SVX rear ends
not that you are going to get a svx rear end for a good price anyway.
the older cars had stub shafts that go to the half shafts the new ones don't have these stub shafts but as long as you are going to use your carrier they do not matter.

Note the side plates should be changed along with the carrier and contact pattern along with backlash should always be checked when you are playing with ring and pinon gears

Last edited by bamfwrx; 01-29-2003 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:24 PM

Car Info: 96' GF w/EJ205
Question

Andy(BADWRX), I sent you a PM about that R-160 diff.

Quick Reply: WRX 6MT Swap -- Part 2