Latest i-Club Reviews, Features, and Articles Features, product reviews, tech, and news

WRX 6MT Swap -- Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 02:27 PM
dwx

6MT differences

I picked up two 6MTs this last weekend, and they actually differ slightly. They differ in the oil lines that run external to the case, I guess to the center/front diffs? One has a solid line from front to rear like the one in Alex's picture. The other one is different. It has two seperate lines that I'm presuming are for use with an external oil cooler for the transmission. The place I bought them wasn't sure what it came out of with that setup or whether it was an older or newer design. This is a picture of the setup.

http://www.kr4d.com/~phil/6spds.jpg
Old 02-18-2003, 04:50 AM
dwx

I guess one of the options on the sti-ra is for an external tranny oil cooler. I'll probably just route the line into itself for the time being until I can get the cooler and associated lines to use. If anyone has any info on the cooler used on the actual STi it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:23 PM

Re: 6MT differences

dwx thanks for posting the picture of your tranny. I also have a six speed tranny sitting in my garage and it has the same tranny cooler inlet and outlet fluid lines as does yours. I would like to utilize a tranny cooler if possible so if you come across a source to get one please let me know.
Thanks, Tom..
Originally posted by dwx
I picked up two 6MTs this last weekend, and they actually differ slightly. They differ in the oil lines that run external to the case, I guess to the center/front diffs? One has a solid line from front to rear like the one in Alex's picture. The other one is different. It has two seperate lines that I'm presuming are for use with an external oil cooler for the transmission. The place I bought them wasn't sure what it came out of with that setup or whether it was an older or newer design. This is a picture of the setup.

http://www.kr4d.com/~phil/6spds.jpg
Old 03-07-2003, 07:35 PM

Re: Great article

n2xlr8n I would like to thank you also, you just made my day.
I was told by the person whom I bought my sti six speed from that it had the front suretrack LSD diff option but at the time I couldn't find a source to verify the part numbers. But now I know per your reference ( B1CA ) that I do indeed have the front suretrack option, hooray...
Thanks again for the very helpful post.
Tom..
Originally posted by n2xlr8n
Loved the write up....
I'm doing some research on the "ID" of various models of 6MT. Thus far, these are the facts I've compiled. If anyone would like to add or edit, feel free to do so.

The 6MT id is located on the driver's side on a white tag. The id's first 6 digits should be:

TY856W

The following digits are the ones I'm trying my best to decipher. Here is what I've found with the last four digits of the 6MT id as it pertains to the diffs in the tranny:

TY856WB1AA is a STD frt, STD ctr 6MT, rev1
TY856WB1BA is a Suretrack frt, DCCD ctr, rev1
TY856WB1CA is a Suretrack frt, STD ctr, rev1
TY856WB2CA is an Export model (NZ, AU) 1.1:1 ctr?
TY856WB2FA is an Export model (NZ,AU), rev2
TY856WB2GA is a RA spec C w/DCCD,tranny cooler, rev2
I'm not sure on the 1.1:1 ctr diff model, but I'd really like to know. The revisions on the "rev2" model I believe had to do with the oiling system within the tranny. HTH

Steve
Old 03-18-2003, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by axxis1
So...please let me in on where u bought these trannies from. My 5MT has broke twice now and I can't find the 6MT. With what I spent on those 2 i could of already had one!!!
Well an sti six speed will likely cost more than two WRX tranny's. I paid $4500 for my 6 spd ( includes clutch / flywheel / shifter and linkage and rear drive shaft ). Plus another $1500 for the H.D. r180 rear diff / hubs and axles ( which is optional and not necessary for the tranny swap ).
Tom.

P.S. some good advice would be to write down the tranny code numbers provided by n2xlr8n in this thread. This way you can cross reference and be sure your getting what you want. I was lucky in that the person I delt with was very honest.

Last edited by Sloppy Joe; 03-19-2003 at 04:12 AM.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:20 PM

Car Info: dream car Subaru STi
you can already order the usdm sti??
Old 04-08-2003, 05:10 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally posted by downshift
you can already order the usdm sti??
Yes, if you really want to go through the dealer telling you it'll cost $40,000 and trying to get them to sell it for MSRP.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:00 PM

Car Info: dream car Subaru STi
well it dont matter.. im getting my sti in 2005

Quick Reply: WRX 6MT Swap -- Part 1