Latest i-Club Reviews, Features, and Articles Features, product reviews, tech, and news

WRX 6MT Swap -- Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 07:10 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
How much are you letting the 6MT go for? And how harshly has it been treated? All race use? Thanks Al.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:12 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Stage 2 upgrade and Formula Ford
Originally posted by Alfriedesq
Prob $4,500.00 for the trans - clutch - shifter - F & R half shafts - driveshaft - rear diff - rear half shafts rear brembo breaks etc - - I'd sell it at this price but would want your 5 spd equivalent parts as a core !Its been raced two times - but baby shifted all the time and has only 5 k miles - most of it on real low boost
Alfriedesq,
How long would you allow to get 5 sp back to you? Would you include shipping to me?
Mark
Old 02-04-2003, 01:45 PM

First you say....

I have run the stock 6 spd clutch and tranny now - VERY abusively - including at least 30 full out drag runs - with between 450 - 500 wheel HP on NOS and the whole set up is stil in one piece and runs as my daily driver - - on launch like that with the 5 spd would have melted a stock clutch

Then you say....

Its been raced two times - but baby shifted all the time and has only 5 k miles - most of it on real low boost
Old 02-04-2003, 02:06 PM

The 6 spd clutch held together fine - and still drives every day and

i still think that the 5 speed unit would have blown up in one day

- but - I feel that one bad shift could grenade the 6 spd also - - in WRX's I think you have to shift very smoothly when you are over 450 wheel hp or the tranmission is going to have a very short life - period

in any event - i've had a lot of luck with the 6 sopd set up and with the 5 speed I had nothing but misery and breakdowns - are you trying to imply that the 6 speed is weak or that I'm falsly promting its strength ? All I can say is that my car won the shootout - and I've been driving it ver day since and so far it runs perfect and nothing has broke
No Al, Im saying you lied about how you drove on it, first you state that it was raced AtLEAST 30x, and then you say you only raced it 2x, babied it elsewhere. We know you raced that tranny so it helps to be upfront and honest when trying to sell it, otherwise we dont know what to believe when you speak. I say this because I was looking for a 6speed.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:25 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Uh, 30 passes IS 30 races.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:01 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Originally posted by aspera
You ought to be a lawyer.
how do you think he makes all that money to sink into his car?!?!

Quick Reply: WRX 6MT Swap -- Part 1