Latest i-Club Reviews, Features, and Articles Features, product reviews, tech, and news

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Announced!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 02:19 PM

Car Info: 2.5rs with Eighteens!!!lol
I think this FIRST run of U.S. STIs will be similar to the run of the 22B, in that when you go to buy one, they...uh...all....be like bought already. Realistically we should expect to wait until the 2005 model to be able to do the normal go-test-drive-it-and-decide-from-there type thing. I'm personally going for the EVO because of its price, availabilty, cast iron engine, and superior tarmac ability, and the fact that with a few hundred dollars it is a guarantee that power can be made to see well above the 300 mark, if necessary.
I think the only valid knock on the EVO 8 is the fact that the U.S. market will see the 5 speed, rather than the 6 speed, tranny...and that is the ONLY thing that would make me wait until the EVO 9 and, hopefully, the 6 speed...PLUS, even though I find it to be more gimicry than gadgetry, maybe the active yaw control, ECD, and traction control will be available in next run too.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:21 PM

Car Info: dream car Subaru STi
id rather have the horizontally opposed boxer motor . WRX sti baby.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:22 PM

yes i am also waiting till 2005 because i cant buy a new car until then
Old 04-17-2003, 04:02 PM

the new evo 8 is not 6 speed?
Old 04-17-2003, 07:03 PM

yes im sure the sti will come aroun the same price, maybe not exactly but around the same.. but it dont matter too much cause u still have an evo8 which owns a lot of cars out there. im sure a good driver in an evo8 still has a chance against a noobie sti, a lot of it has to do with driver skills too. its like a video game
Old 04-30-2003, 01:12 PM

6 speed in an STI is way more different than the 6 speed in a maxima. definitely
Old 04-30-2003, 05:07 PM

I really believe that the STI will end up being closer to 40 thousand dollars when all is said and done. Granted, the STI is going to be, by all accounts, a superb automobile. I like what Yellow REX said about the simpler design of the EVO too. Both of these cars, especially the EVO, have made me seriously think about selling my 98 RS, and that is crazy because I absolutely love the RS...I'm actually planning an STI engine/drivetrain swap as soon as I can find the right circumstance. As far as the 6-speed vs. 5-speed issue: I tried to downplay this issue, but it is an issue, regardless. The pivotal concern is not necessarily the presence of a sixth gear, but instead HOW the presence of a sixth gear enables the rest of the gears to be closer ratios. To me, this matters significantly because I am sort of a driving technique/racing geek, and the benefits of a closer ratio'ed gearbox with high top-end capability is more attractive. As well, one might also logically assume that the EVO 6-speed is more heavily fortified, similar to the STI 6-speed. But, regardless of this concern, I'm still leaning toward the EVO...hmmm...though the normal WRX is starting to look even better too, for some reason.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:46 PM

Beyond there being possible, and anticipated, dealer mark-ups...Plainly and simply, my statement is just based upon what the current prices of 2004 STIs are in Japan and Europe, and how those prices might generally translate into U.S. dollars, as indicated by a simple currency conversion. I tended to estimate on the higher end because of, not only the unique qualities of the U.S. model, but also my personal opinion of what Subaru's market focus will be with the STI...that it would be directed towards potential BMW M3, Audi S4, and Infiniti GS consumers, for example.

But, it very well may be that the STI will be base-priced at around 32 grand. At 32,000 U.S. dollars there would be a justifiably significant price gap between it and the regular WRX...so that the necessary level of exclusivity would be achieved.

I hope I'm wrong about my projected higher price prediction. If Subaru, miraculously, can market the near-perfect STI, with all of its abundance of awesome racecar-like-features, at around 32,000 dollars...THAN I WILL ABSOLUTLEY proceed to direct all of my efforts towards aquiring one immediately.

Quick Reply: 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Announced!