Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

WRX Headlight Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 01:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
Originally posted by NJDrew
I dont have nearly as much exsperence with automotive electrical as you, but that dosen't mean that you can't be wrong or im an idiot. Please try think link again and tell me how sound my idea is.
Never said or implied you were an idiot. The schematic you drew up obviously required some knowledge and thought, and I give you a lot of credit for it. But trust me, the solution to this does not need to be anywhere near that complicated (not to mention time-consuming). Yes, try to rearrange the connector wiring according to my suggestion before going any further.
Also, your schematic shows the wiring to each headlight as having two positive connections and one negative. As I indicated earlier it is actually the reverse. Since you understand schematics you would find the factory wiring manual very helpful for this type of work. For the future I'd suggest you obtain a copy, although the complete manual set is a bit expensive the wiring section alone isn't that much.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:16 PM
VIP Member

You can get the manual online from several vendors who are actually Subaru parts depts. that sell via the net. Try www.subaruwrxparts.com
or
www.subaruparts.com
There are others.
The entire manual set will cost in the $200-300 range depending on the particular vendor's price. You can buy all the volumes, which I suggest, or alternately just the ones that interest you or that you expect to need the most.
Old 01-03-2003, 05:05 AM
VIP Member

Drew- great! Glad it worked out for you and I hope I saved you a lot of headaches.
The fog lights are locked out by design and will only operate with the low beams. There is no separate switch to enable them, it's done with the way the headlight switch and relays are wired. It is possible to modify the wiring to allow the fogs to operate with high beams/parking lights as well, there is a procedure on scoobymods although I can't vouch for that one personally. I have done this mod for a few people by using the wiring manual but I don't have anything documented. I don't recommend you do this until you have the manual yourself and fully understand how the wiring works. I know from our discussions in this thread that you have some knowledge of electrical stuff so I won't say don't touch it, just wait until you get all the info.
About the high beams and having both lights on-
I highly suggest you DON'T do this. At least not with just a jumper. Actually you can't do it with a jumper alone, but in any case the wiring will not safely handle both lights being on at the same time. Please re-read what I said before about this.

Jay- yes, the wires in the blue adapter that plugs into the factory headlight connector.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:16 PM
VIP Member

I'll take a rain check
Old 09-16-2003, 12:31 AM

Car Info: 95 Legacy wagon
actually there is a way for the fogs to work with the high beams...

excerpt from Sept 02 issue of Sport Compact Car:

(bear with me I cant scan the pics...)

-Begin by removing the dashboard underneath the steering wheel, which comes off with three screws. This exposes the fuse box and relays, which must be removed from their mounts to provide access to the wires in the back. The fuse box is held in place with one screw, which is on top, and several tabs. the relay box is held in with tabs only.

With the fuse box removed, splice a 6-10 inch piece of wire into the orange wire coming from the parking light power supply on the back of the fuse box. Terminate this wire into the red wire with a green stripe coming from the fog light relay, which is the fourth relay from the top. Tape off the red and green wire and tuck it out fo the way--it was the power supply for the fog light relay, which work only with the head light low beams, and it wont be used.

Test to be certain the fog lights work with the high beams and with the parking lights before putting things back together.

hope this helps people...

JAN

Quick Reply: WRX Headlight Conversion