Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

WRX Headlight Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 04:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
Have to agree here, the people who replied are trying to be helpful and not just blowing smoke. Here is a thread on the "other" forum that you may find helpful:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=265285

I have Morettes on my car, and although they do cost much more than these when it comes to this stuff you really do get what you pay for.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:06 PM
VIP Member

Drew/Jay-
Although the feedback posted here may seem a bit harsh it was well-intentioned, those who replied were just trying to save you from some potential headaches. Rather than just a one-line response I posted a link to someone else's personal experience with the same product in the hope you would find it informative and helpful.
Now, with that out of the way-
Without regard to the overall quality issue of these lights, the fact that everyone who attempts to install them has similar results with them not operating properly leads me to believe that they are wired improperly when they are manufactured, and/or the harness adapters that are supplied with them (if a separate item) are incorrect. It has nothing to do with jumpers not being "strong enough".
I'm certain that this can be straightened out by someone who understands wiring and is familiar with the Subaru headlight system.
Since you are obviously intent on keeping these lights and using them, I would be willing to help you out. Depending on where you are and what we can arrange, if I can get a first-hand look at these lights with or without a car attached I should be able to figure out what is wrong.
Send me a PM if you want to take me up on this.
Old 12-31-2002, 05:17 PM
VIP Member

Ok guys here's the scoop-
First of all do NOT attempt to modify the wiring in the car in any way while trying to get these to work. You will probably mess something up and it is completely unnecessary.
The headlight system in your car is a common positive, switched ground system. So, you want to wire these lights accordingly, as follows:
On each headlight, the two black wires should be connected together(it looks like they may be already), then connected to the common positive for that side. On the drivers side this would be the red/blue wire in the factory headlight connector. On the passenger side it is the blue/white wire. The red and green wires are in turn connected to the other two wires in the connector, which are the switched ground for the low and high beams. I don't know which of the red/green wires is low and which is high so you will have to figure that out. The factory wires are yellow/red for low beam switched ground, and red for high beam switched ground.
If you look carefully at the wires in your lights, and where they presently connect when plugged into the factory connectors, I'm pretty sure you'll find they do not match the information I have given you. If you move them around so the wiring is correct according to my instructions I'm willing to bet that the lights will work properly.
As for the lows staying on with the high beams, they will not. When the highs are on the lows will be off. The only way to make them stay on is to add relays and extra wiring to the lights, and to do it safely you need to modify the power and especially the ground feed. The switched ground system carries the ground current for all the lights through a single feed into the headlight switch so you don't want too much current at once.
That's about all I can offer for now, post up and report on how you make out.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:03 PM
VIP Member

Muldler- First off, thank you for offering you help, nobody else seems to want to try. Second, your plan to fix this common problem, although smart, is probably not going to work. Its good in theory if the new bulbs in the lights were Double Filament like the stock bulbs, but unfortunately there not. Since they are only Single Filament they will only pull 55w from the 55w relay in the fuse box, making the computer think that they are set on high beams.
I know they are single filament bulbs.
Sorry but your "55W" theory makes no sense. And, there is no computer involved in the headlight circuit, it's just switches and relays(not counting the DRL module, which doesn't matter here although you should disconnect it).
My offer to check these lights out in person is still good. If I can see 'em I would be able to fix 'em.
The link you posted does not work, access to that page is denied.
Just for perspective, how much automotive/electrical experience do you have? I've been working with stuff like this for over 25 years

Last edited by Mulder; 01-02-2003 at 12:20 PM.

Quick Reply: WRX Headlight Conversion