Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Why clay bar?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:48 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
Why clay bar?

This is why...

This is just a single pass on the hood alone... The car was not too bad and this is after a good wash of course.

car in question...

before:

after:
Old 04-09-2008, 10:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
I take it the claybar isn't supposed to look like that afterwards?
Old 04-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Former Vendor

well, it shouldn't if the panel is clean...

this is just showing the clay bar is doing it's job... sometime even if you run your hands down the body panels and it might feel smooth, but there could still be surface contaminates.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:50 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by DetailAddict
well, it shouldn't if the panel is clean...

this is just showing the clay bar is doing it's job... sometime even if you run your hands down the body panels and it might feel smooth, but there could still be surface contaminates.
I use a clay bar on my car every time I wax. I think it's pointless to go through all that work to put a seal on dirty paint. Definitely makes a good difference.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:56 AM
Former Vendor

if you do it frequent, it should only take you few minutes to run through the entire car. But I wouldn't do it too frequent, it does cut into the clear.

Leo

Originally Posted by 1reguL8NSTi
I use a clay bar on my car every time I wax. I think it's pointless to go through all that work to put a seal on dirty paint. Definitely makes a good difference.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:14 PM

Car Info: 05 cgm imp
i've been wanting to clay my car for weeks but something always comes up on my own day off -,.-
i want my ride to wear invisible silk
Old 04-10-2008, 02:14 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
If your gonna clay a car---make sure to use P & S clay bar or another good brand.. Also very important to use spray wax when doing it... Never use the clay bar twice cause you are just re-grinding the dirt back in, causing swirls.. Ohh and mequires clay bar---is a joke... Dont waste ur money for a bar the size of a nickel that doesnt do anything more than a hard piece of gum...Just my two cents... Detail addict im sure knows a lot more than mee
Old 04-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Former Vendor

The type and brand of clay definitely make a big difference... You are right about the 'Kragen' brands. But I do have to say, if you are not very confident in using clay bars, your 'Kragen' brands are less abrasive/safer, but you would have to put in much more efforts in doing a good/fast job. So for serious detail guys like myself, they are junk.

Originally Posted by ASPEN209
If your gonna clay a car---make sure to use P & S clay bar or another good brand.. Also very important to use spray wax when doing it... Never use the clay bar twice cause you are just re-grinding the dirt back in, causing swirls.. Ohh and mequires clay bar---is a joke... Dont waste ur money for a bar the size of a nickel that doesnt do anything more than a hard piece of gum...Just my two cents... Detail addict im sure knows a lot more than mee
Old 04-10-2008, 03:29 PM

Car Info: subaru wrx 07
where would you find a good brand of clay bar ? there is nothing at kragen is worth getting?
Old 04-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Former Vendor

Mothers from kragen is okay, but it's not as good as some better brand. without using it just holding them in your hands you can feel the difference already.

I recently moved to Adam's Polishes Clay Bar and it's actually pretty good. That's the one you see in the picture. Where to get it? I'll be carrying them pretty soon (this coming Saturday). If I can get my damn site to work, you can purchase them online soon. If you are local, you can always pick it up from me. Once I am stocked, I'll be adverting them in the BAIC forum and will be visiting most of the major local meets. So keep an eye out!

Originally Posted by 07wrxguy
where would you find a good brand of clay bar ? there is nothing at kragen is worth getting?
Old 04-10-2008, 08:29 PM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru STI
ya i use mothers and it really dose work wonders your car feels totally different even before waxing, and after waxing like glass but im sure there are better clay bars but mothers never lets me down.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:33 AM

Car Info: WRX STi '06 with extra stuff
Clay bars are also used to move the grit so that when you wax using a buffer you wont scratch your paint with the residual micro grit. Owning a black car is how i learned the importance of a clay bar...
Old 04-18-2008, 02:56 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
I'm pretty sure I used meguiars clay bar. it was a small yellow bar. it was pretty tough to use, but i could definitely feel and see a difference after using it. its been a year since used it because i heard its hurts the paint to claybar it too often. im gonna wait until summer comes around to claybar my car again!
Old 04-18-2008, 07:22 AM
Former Vendor

it cuts, that's why it 'hurts' the paint.

There are really 3 grades of clay bar. There is the gray color clay, which is most abrasive, then purple for medium, then yellow/blue etc for least abrasive.

http://www.detailaddict.com/product_...products_id=32

Leo

Originally Posted by pwnx0rz
I'm pretty sure I used meguiars clay bar. it was a small yellow bar. it was pretty tough to use, but i could definitely feel and see a difference after using it. its been a year since used it because i heard its hurts the paint to claybar it too often. im gonna wait until summer comes around to claybar my car again!
Old 05-20-2008, 05:51 AM

Car Info: Subaru 06' FXT
Since the subject is about cleaning cars, what is good wax for a black pearl car? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Why clay bar?