Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Swapping brighter HIDs into my STi

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 01:07 PM

Car Info: '13 BRZ - SWP
Swapping brighter HIDs into my STi

does anyone know the process? i'm a newb to this sh*t.

do i just swap the bulbs to higher than the 4000k (????) the STi are?

or is there more wiring/complication?

04 sti

thanks

sjice
Old 05-29-2005, 01:54 PM

Car Info: 05 STI
sjice,

It's a little more complicated than switching to new bulbs. The OEM 4100K bulb already produces the most light output. The higher the kelvin rating the less light output (lumens). However, the higher kelvin rating will give your lights the blue/purple color because the kelvin rating specifies the color of the light. If you want a more scientific explaination please go here: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2080

So, if your goal is more light then the best option is a HID projector retro fit. You get either a single or bixenon HID projector from another car and put it into our housing. I was able to get some used 04 WRX headlights to try out this mod. Since our STi's already have HID you won't need a ballast and relay. Projector HIDs produce much more light onto the road than our stock reflector based HIDs. A separate pair of HID projectors will run you any where from $140 - $300 depending on the type and availability of the projector. I suggest looking around at www.HIDPPlanet.com/forums there is a wealth of information on that site and a classified section to get what you need for a full retro.

I'm currently in the process of do a retro to my STI. I've posted pics of my progress here: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthre...6&page=3&pp=25
You can see what kind of effort is necessary. I've actually decided to use another projector than the original ones I chose. So, I'm searching for a pair of the TL bixenons that are supposed to have amazing light output.

Let me know if you have any questions. There is a lot of misinformation floating around about HID. Especially, the crap they sell on ebay. So be careful of what people tell you. The group over at hidplanet forums are really helpful and they know what they are talking about.

Dave
Old 05-29-2005, 02:09 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
wow great info! This thread just got promoted to the lighting section
Old 05-29-2005, 02:24 PM

Location: My lugnuts require more torque then your Honda makes
Car Info: 05 WRX
I miss my S2000 and Audi A6 ECE Retrofit on my Accord =[
Old 05-29-2005, 02:31 PM

Car Info: 05 STI
gqchynaboy,

How did you like the A6 ECE in your Accord? The RS6 and ECE A6 bixenons are the same projectors. The S2000 projectors are still considered one of the best single xenon projectors out there. I've found that the ECE version of the projectors are usually much brighter than the DOT version we get. Keep in mind that not all projectors have an ECE and DOT version of the projector, ie the TL bixenons.

Dave
Old 05-29-2005, 07:53 PM

Location: My lugnuts require more torque then your Honda makes
Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by dchou7
gqchynaboy,

How did you like the A6 ECE in your Accord? The RS6 and ECE A6 bixenons are the same projectors. The S2000 projectors are still considered one of the best single xenon projectors out there. I've found that the ECE version of the projectors are usually much brighter than the DOT version we get. Keep in mind that not all projectors have an ECE and DOT version of the projector, ie the TL bixenons.

Dave

ECE are much brighter and a better cutoff then DOT. This is the guy that did my retrofit

www.vuehaongoy.com