Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Suggestions on classy (quality) upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 11:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Suggestions on classy (quality) upgrades

I'm looking to make some cosmetic changes to my car...

However, I want anything BUT the cheapo crap that people sell on eBay for $19.99.

Here's what I'm looking for...

1) A COOL shift **** for my 02 WRX. Hopefully JDM or something interesting and original; not MOMO (I hate those round ball *****) and nothing that lights up or is fake carbon fiber. I want classy, tasteful and non-ricey. Something a BMW or Porsche owner wouldn't mind having (within reason, of course).

2) Dashboard display upgrades that are functional, visible and attractive. The $6.99 "eglow" drop-in dash lighting seems tacky and dangerous -- what if that failed while I was driving? I want a nice, clean-looking and reliable dash guage upgrade with a "euro" (white on black) look, but not from some fly-by-night eBay retailer.

Suggestions?
Old 09-15-2004, 09:51 PM
VIP Member

A cool idea, but I'd have to give up my current wheel, and I really like the feel of it...

...what I am really looking for is some cool JDM stuff that you won't find at Pep Boys or Auto Zone. There HAVE to be some good-quality interior upgrades out there by now, the market for the WRX in aftermarket terms is becoming quite large.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '99 Impreza OBS
for "classy stuff" you might try looking at stuff for the saab 9-2x since its the same as the wrx, but designed as a luxury car. GL
Old 09-16-2004, 08:02 PM
DrD

Car Info: 2012 Legacy 2.5GT-L
Originally Posted by meilers
1) A COOL shift **** for my 02 WRX.

2) Dashboard display upgrades that are functional, visible and attractive.
Well - I don't know about the dashboard upgrades (not sure if you are looking to add gauges, or change what you have) - for the shift ****, I like the Subaru carbon fiber one - it's very simple in appearance, and is actually pretty solid (it's a metal body with a cylinder of CF around the middle, then a little CF puck thing on the top) - list price is a little insane, but they show up on eBay every now and then for much less.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:41 PM
VIP Member

Dammit, I wish you hadn't told me about that shift ****! That is EXACTLY what I was looking for, not silly or "bling" but just plain JDM cool. Unfortunately, they are $145.00 -- a bit too much for a non-performance upgrade. DRAT. Maybe someone has cloned it for cheaper...

As for the dashboard stuff, I'd like to stick with the stock gauges, but I want better illumination, hopefully indiglo or something nice and bright. I just don't want the $6.99 cheapo crap on eBay, I want something reliable and trustworthy -- and that looks sharp.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:53 AM
DrD

Car Info: 2012 Legacy 2.5GT-L
Originally Posted by meilers
Unfortunately, they are $145.00 -- a bit too much for a non-performance upgrade. DRAT.
I picked mine up on eBay in new condition for $40 - just keep an eye out for them - they show up every now and then!
Attached Thumbnails Suggestions on classy (quality) upgrades-knob.jpg  
Old 09-18-2004, 10:00 AM
VIP Member

Do you have any pics of that setup? That sounds impressive!
Did you have to fight with voltage levels for the electrical system, or were the gauges plug-and-play?

Last edited by meilers; 09-18-2004 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:13 AM

Car Info: 03 Wrx black sedan + 2013 BRZ
Originally Posted by cafetwkr
I'm not sure where it is, but on scoobymods.com there is a thread that tells how to change all the bulbs inside your dash behind your stock gauges. you can even change color. this does not use bulb condoms, appeared to be a high quality mod. the thread even said where to get everything you would need. hope this helps.

You may also want to check out the sticky on this forum reagrding the quest for better interior. As for me I just bought a 04 STI cluster so that my cluster is now illuminated in red and I have the Tach in the middle. I know have to get around to changing my hvac and stereo bulbs from blue to red. I've just been to lazy put in the bulbs again.

Jason
Old 09-18-2004, 08:49 PM

Car Info: 03 Wrx black sedan + 2013 BRZ
Originally Posted by cafetwkr
Thankx WRXneffect, that could easily be the one i mean, i've read soooo many frickn threads it's hard to keep them all straight. I think the same thread got transferred to scoobymods. but quest for a better interrior sounds on the money.

no prob, but if you are gonna change the stereo lights with leds you have to suader in the leds, I have a diagram that shows the positive and negative sides on the stereo board. If you are just gonna change the bulb condoms then it's not necessary.

Jason