Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

STI Wing, performance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 06:40 PM

STI Wing, performance?

obviously, the wing does give downforce.

How much though, is it noticeable when the wing is removed? More understeer? The *** not sitting down on the track, etc?

I plan on getting an STI but without the STI wing (instead, maybe the regular wrx sti wing like the spec-c).

any help, graphs/charts would be great.

Also, how is high speed stability, etc? I know it should go faster b/c of less drag.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:51 PM

Car Info: '02 2.5 RS
Please do a search. I remember there being at least a couple big discussions on this.

Anyway, IMO it is no big deal removing it. It does create a significant amount of downforce, but any loss in grip would only be a problem at 100+mph and still not that bad.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:09 PM

Yeah, there was a good thread on this. Some calculations, speed and downforce numbers.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2014 Mazda MX-5 GT PRHT
I think it's crap unless you're going way past 100MPH. but then again.. I've never gone that fast... so I guess I don't know.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:37 PM

To quote a quote from another thread:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697270

I measured my STi wing as carefully as I could, and then used the LARC wing simulator to calculate the downforce. I assumed the following parameters:

Thickness: 25% of chord (2.0 in)
Camber: -6.5% of chord (-0.5 in)
Chord: 8 inches
Span: 4 feet
Angle of attack: -1.2 degrees
Altitude: sea level

These seem to be the best match to the STi, as well as I could do with just a tape measure. I assumed that the angle of attack was the angle of the top of the wing end plates. I measued this angle with geometry, not a level, so the angle of the car on the ground did not effect the measurement.

The calculated downforce is 60 lb at 100mph. At 150 mph, the downforce is 140 lb. These are increases in download on the rear axle of about 5% and 10%, assuming 60-40 f/r weight distribution. These are the numbers for the top wing only, not the deck lid spoiler, which will add a little more. These numbers are not insignificant.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:03 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by comptechgsr
I know it should go faster b/c of less drag.
That's not quite correct. Factory wings such as those that appear on the STi and Evo are bandaid fixes. Any downforce generated probably comes with the penalty of increased drag. Even on dedicated race car bodies designed with the aid of a wind tunnel, increased downforce without an increase in drag is hard to come by. It's a tradeoff - more grip, less top end speed.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush