Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Sti HID projector headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 12:02 AM

Car Info: 2002 IMPREZA WRX WAGON
Sti HID projector headlights

I just received the sti HID headlight yesterday. I installed it after I get out from the box.

However, after I installed it and I found that even though I unplug the daylight saving switch, the low beam (HID unit) still goes on when I start the car and lower the handbrake. If I apply the handbrake again it goes off. ( works likes I have the daylight running).

Anyone have Sti HID headlight? with same problem?

Is it come with daylight saving device inside the headlamp?

I found my another pair of STI- non HID headlight works fine. (no low beam goes on when lower the handbrake.)
Old 05-17-2003, 04:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
You have to disconnect the main DRL control module which is located next to the glovebox. What you unplugged under the hood is just a dropping resistor that will only remove DRL function for stock lights and some others, for most HIDs the main module must go.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:22 AM

can you post the pic where the main module located?

Thanks for telling me.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:38 PM
VIP Member

The module is next to the glovebox, by the passenger side kick panel. It can actually be accessed from below without removing the glovebox if you lie on your back looking up between the glovebox and panel, you'll see a rectangular multi-pin connector plugged into a module. Disconnect it and your DRLs should be gone.
If you want to be more certain of disconnecting the right thing, and/or don't want to lie on your back under the dash, remove the glovebox and the module will be easier to see. There is a sticker on it (either the top or side) that says "Unit DRL".
Old 05-17-2003, 11:29 PM

Yes I got it!!! Thanks Mulder , I should give you a credit.

Anyway I took some photo which may help somebody else, should I post here or scoobymods.com?

One more thing. After I disconnect the DRL module, when I try to flash the high beam, the low beam will also flash too!!!

When I turn on the low beam and then turn on the high beam, the low beam will not goes off!!( normally when turn on high beam, the low beam will turn off until high beam off)

It seems the low beam was connect to high beam isn't it? or my bad connection for the headlifht harness?

When I use tester to check the current from daytime running power, the current will go to low beam, not high beam. Normal daytime running power will go to high beam in other car.....so is that my wrong connection?
Old 05-18-2003, 02:42 AM

Here is where the daytime running module located....
Attached Thumbnails Sti HID projector headlights-daytime-1.jpg  
Old 05-18-2003, 02:43 AM

one more

The red arrow shows the white plug which is connected to the daytime running module..
Attached Thumbnails Sti HID projector headlights-daytime-3.jpg  
Old 05-18-2003, 02:45 AM

The daytime running module should be look like this.
Attached Thumbnails Sti HID projector headlights-daytime-6.jpg  
Old 05-18-2003, 03:29 AM
VIP Member

The Subaru DRLs operate the low beams at reduced brightness, not the highs.
As for why your low beams stay on with the highs now, it sounds like you have the HID/low beams wired so the ballast negatives are connected directly to ground rather than the OEM low beam switched ground. As a result the HID/low beams will remain on as long as the headlights are on and they will come on when you flash the high beams. This is actually the best way to wire them as the OEM ground system is not sufficient to handle the high startup current of the HIDs. I would suggest however, that you now avoid flashing the highs when the lights are off since this will also flash the HIDs and this is not good for them.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:35 AM
VIP Member

While the STi HIDs are in fact OEM HIDs, bear in mind that they are RHD. So in addition to being more than twice as expensive as an aftermarket projector/HID kit combination, the beam pattern is wrong. If you are going to go with HIDs it's best to have lights that are LHD for maximum lighting performance and minimal annoyance to other drivers.
Old 05-24-2003, 04:47 PM
VIP Member

Non-HID JDMs are still RHD. Although many people have them on their cars here, if you are going to the trouble of upgrading your lighting it should be with lights that are LHD.
If you are set on getting STi style lights look for the EDM version which is LHD. They are harder to find and more expensive than JDMs but you'll have the proper lights for the US.
If you want projectors and they don't have to be STi's, the Morettes, UK300s, Prodrives are all available in LHD.
HID kits can be installed in any projector housing and the total cost will be far less than JDM HIDs.

Quick Reply: Sti HID projector headlights