Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Soundproofing the Interior....anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 02:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
The interior sound of the WRX is TERRIBLE compared to other cars in its class -- even my wife's Civic is quieter inside.

If you look in your trunk, you will see a lot of the problem -- a THIN piece of plywood covered with a micro-thin layer of felt is all you get. Below that is bare metal, then the road! Inside the wheel wells there is nothing, and the engine firewall is also milimeters thick.

When the WRX won Car of the Year in 2002, the interior noise was cited as the biggest drawback!

So I am also very interested to hear people's experiences with limiting this noise. I saw a SWEET trunk liner for sale on one of the suby parts threads, so I think I will pick one of those up and then line it with soundproofing foam before putting it down.

Also, the stock tires on the WRX (Potenzas) are quite noisy. A friend of mine went to Yokohamas and he said they are much quieter.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:17 PM

Car Info: 2004 2.5TS manual
I've been checking out this company called "Quiet Car"

From what I read on their site, the product looks good, easy to install, and is much cheaper that dynamat

www.quietcoat.com
Old 11-06-2003, 03:20 PM

Car Info: 02 RS
i double lined my doors. one on the outter skin and then on the inner webbing. i threw some in the trunk. all that gave my car the heavy solid feel when i drive. i don't have the tin can feeling. i then added some foam carpeting under my carpets and that took away some of that road noise. i think the noise that is still present is coming from the roof which is bare behind the liner. my doors now close with a thud too.

overall i added about 10-14 pounds of weight which won't hurt too much on the performance.

i used raamat. try and check out the stereo forum here for sound dampening questions. you'll get alot more feed back.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:39 PM

Car Info: TXS tbe, perrin goodies, v7 sti struts...bla bla bla lots of stuff!
Arrow

That quietcar demo is nice... I just wonder how much of a pain in the *** it is to paint that **** on your car.... I'm all for it but how would you take everything apart then put the inside lineing back on?

-Nigel
Old 12-12-2003, 03:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Ironic, since I wanna take out my sound-deadening material to save some dead weight
Oh, and if you want interior sound, try a Lotus Elise
Old 12-12-2003, 07:27 PM

I used the dynamat extreme door kits for all four doors on my sedan. I honestly can't tell you there is a day and night difference in road noise, but my speakers sound better. I had a little bit left over and was considering using the rest to either line the back of my seats, or seeing if I could line part of the firewall.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:33 PM

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX
The noise of my WRX is horrible i can believe that a car that is so xpensive and high class produce this noise days later i drove a Hyundai accent and is more quiet noiseless than the WRX this noise makes my audio system distorted.
Old 12-13-2003, 07:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Let me reiterate a vital point: The WRX is first and foremost a SPORTS car. Too many people complain about features that a car its price should supposedly have: why no leather? why no moonroof? why no dual climate control? WHY?! I'll tell you why: these features get in the way of the WRX's true mission of being a fast car. So why's it so expensive? Because you're paying for performance! I can't think of any other car in this price range that can outspeed or outmaneuver the WRX, except maybe (shudder) that glorified Neon of an SRT-4. Then again, the SRT-4 doesn't even have rear power windows!
Look, I can understand the desire to soundproof the WRX if you wanna make it a family car. But it sure seems that a lot of people have some kinda misconception that the WRX is "high class" or "luxurious", but it's not. Its heritage literally lies in the dirt and the mud. It's the automotive equivalent of a bar figher. The fact that it comes in 4doors and wagon form is b/c most countries outside of the US have a rich heritage of sports sedans and wagons. Count your blessings that the Impreza didn't stay a coupe. If you say that there's too much road noise b/c your children are uncomfortable sitting in the family car, then I say that's legitimate. But if you say the road noise is getting in the way of you bumping your music, then maybe you should have gotten a Civic or a Hyundai Accent like voyager2000 said so eloquently stated without the use of ANY punctation whatsoever.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:42 PM

Car Info: TXS tbe, perrin goodies, v7 sti struts...bla bla bla lots of stuff!
Arrow

Originally posted by Choku Dori
Let me reiterate a vital point: The WRX is first and foremost a SPORTS car. Too many people complain about features that a car its price should supposedly have: why no leather? why no moonroof? why no dual climate control? WHY?! I'll tell you why: these features get in the way of the WRX's true mission of being a fast car. So why's it so expensive? Because you're paying for performance! I can't think of any other car in this price range that can outspeed or outmaneuver the WRX, except maybe (shudder) that glorified Neon of an SRT-4. Then again, the SRT-4 doesn't even have rear power windows!
Look, I can understand the desire to soundproof the WRX if you wanna make it a family car. But it sure seems that a lot of people have some kinda misconception that the WRX is "high class" or "luxurious", but it's not. Its heritage literally lies in the dirt and the mud. It's the automotive equivalent of a bar figher. The fact that it comes in 4doors and wagon form is b/c most countries outside of the US have a rich heritage of sports sedans and wagons. Count your blessings that the Impreza didn't stay a coupe. If you say that there's too much road noise b/c your children are uncomfortable sitting in the family car, then I say that's legitimate. But if you say the road noise is getting in the way of you bumping your music, then maybe you should have gotten a Civic or a Hyundai Accent like voyager2000 said so eloquently stated without the use of ANY punctation whatsoever.

When you put it like that, it makes me want to drive my car and hear the engine and everything or go rallying...heheh

True about the road noise though... after a while it can get annoying, I say this only because I am driving an hour back and worth to work... once I get my turbo back exhaust I am sure I will love to hear it :-) But until then all I can hear is either my music or the road noise..lol

-Nigel
Old 12-16-2003, 11:05 AM

Car Info: 2004 2.5TS manual
Originally posted by Choku Dori
Let me reiterate a vital point: The WRX is first and foremost a SPORTS car. Too many people complain about features that a car its price should supposedly have: why no leather? why no moonroof? why no dual climate control? WHY?! I'll tell you why: these features get in the way of the WRX's true mission of being a fast car.
And herein lies the problem. A lot of people here drive the Outback Sports and 2.5TS which has the same noise level but not the same perfomance.

My car is the family car, I want it to be quieter, and therefore this thread is great in my opinion.

:banana: :banana:
:banana: :banana:

Quick Reply: Soundproofing the Interior....anyone done this?