Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Sound Deadening ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 06:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
Sound Deadening ?

Well I am willing to lose some extra weight and I really dont care how loud my car is. I just need someone to tell me how to take out all the sound deadening material.

So, does anyone know how/where to take out some heavy sound deadening material ? Thanks

WRX Rush
Old 02-07-2004, 06:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Black 2003 WRX Sedan
I just did the opposite... lol
Today i finished re-installing my interior becasuse I covered the whole interior and trunk of the car w/ Dynamat Extreme.

To answer your question...
There are a few mats of sound deadening in the car.
There are two that run along the front of the tranny tunnel, from about the front of the center console to the pedals. then there are some mats behind the pedals in the foot well on both driver and passanger sides. For the back, there is some material that you could remove behind the rear seat. remove the seat back and there will be two pannels, on the left and right of the trunk pass-thru. if you want to conserve the mats i would just remove the two pannels, but you could just rip the mat off of the pannels.
Thats about it. There isnt much more sound deadening stuff that you could easily remove. Note... to get to the front mats the easiest way would be to remove the trim alond the base of the doors, the front seats, and then the carpet floor. REMEMBER WHERE EACH FASTENER GOES!!! its always bad when you end up w/ extra at the end.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:36 AM

Car Info: .............................................................................
There isn't too much in the way of sound insulation to remove...there are several ways to lighten the car, but removing sound insulation isn't going to get you much.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:58 PM

Car Info: 02 RS
this is all i found in my doors. one small piece in each of the rear doors. so if you rip that out it'll save you an ounce or so per side.
Attached Thumbnails Sound Deadening ?-sounddampoem.jpg  
Old 02-10-2004, 05:21 AM

Originally posted by DLUX WRX
I just did the opposite... lol
Today i finished re-installing my interior becasuse I covered the whole interior and trunk of the car w/ Dynamat Extreme.
How many layers did you use?
Old 02-10-2004, 09:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Black 2003 WRX Sedan
I used one layer on the floor, from the fire wall the the back seat. I covered the rear wheel wells and the factory mat that goes over them to lessen the road noise that comes from the rear wheel wells. so far i have covered the trunk w/ one layer, but i might double up in some parts.