Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

SilverStar Vs HID

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 04:48 PM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
Originally posted by wolfen42
Me... I go as yellow as I can... :P
Then you would be wanting the AllWeather bulbs

They make them for headlamps too.

The blue tint in a fog lamp will be the worst for bad weather, blue scatters the most, it's also the highest colour componant in glare, which is why they bug your eyes so much when you see them:

Another good link:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...e/bad/bad.html

Last edited by Peaty; 02-02-2004 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:42 PM

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX
I always though that Sylvania was the creator of Silver Star.There are another brand I saw at western Auto and are the Pilot
Xenon Quartz .,there are not too much info about these light but I read about quartz in headlamps and the quality it carries.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:10 PM

Just found another good one:Eurolite Xenon Super Plasma XB Series Headlight Bulbs

these are not too blue and develope a 4100k color at 55/65watts normal for all cars.
any info about this brand?
http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/euxesupl...01&PID=1117139
Old 02-02-2004, 07:05 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX Wagon
Anything with the magic buzzwords Xenon and Plasma, or advertising a color temperature is pure rice. Plus, I can see the blue tint in the bulbs. That does nothing more than suck up light that could otherwise be doing you some good.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2009 G Ride
I'd stick with HIDs...
Old 02-03-2004, 04:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Eurolite has a rice reputation. I'd go for HID, but since that's out of my price league I'd suggest the Sylvania Xtravisions.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:38 PM

Car Info: 95 Impreza coup, green, 5speed 1.8l awd
if i remember right there are two colors that the eyes "like" to see

yellow and green

night vision needs to use dark colors and the eye can see the greatest contrast compared to blue and red

but yellow would be the most ideal color because it is bright and you can see a wide contrast which is why shooting glasses are green or yellow aswell

peaty where did you get your yellows from?
Old 02-03-2004, 08:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Actually, the color that least bothers your night vision is red -- the longest wavelength of light (blue is the shortest). I don't see anyone running red headlights, however but it is a very common color for dashboard lights. My father's last 3 cars (all BMWs) had red dash and interior lights.

I would do my entire interior lighting in red in my WRX, if Subaru hadn't put a permanent green film behind many of the gauges.

BTW, Peaty, does Narva make a 9007 headlight bulb (not-yellow?) I Google searched them, and they don't get mentioned much, nor sold much it seems.

Last edited by meilers; 02-03-2004 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:23 AM

I think it's green that's the best on your eyes at night, red will preserve your night vision though.

Check with Daniel Stern that's where i got my bulbs from.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:39 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by AWD 20T
I'd stick with HIDs...
Actually, Mr. Stern has a bone to pick with HID conversions as well... He seems to hate them even more than blue ricer bulbs, if such a thing is possible.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Moral of the story: if you have 55w bulbs, you also have a 55w wiring harness and electrical system, so don't try to convince it otherwise...
Old 02-04-2004, 11:04 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX Wagon
Daniel Stern's beef with HID conversions is all those ricers stuffing HID capsules into their existing headlights, or using JDM (wrong side of the road) lamps. He'd have no issue with an EDM (correct side of the road) HID conversion, because you're starting off with capsules and headlight assemblies that were designed for HID and the car from the get go. To quote:

"Most people do not have the expertise (let alone the equipment) to judge the acceptability of a headlamp beam pattern. Most people can tell the difference between arc light (purplish) and halogen light (not purplish). It is certainly possible to physically place an arc capsule into a halogen headlamp. But for all real purposes, it is NOT possible to make an acceptable headlamp this way. For some cars, legitimate HID retrofit kits are available. These consist of complete new headlamp lens-reflector units to go with HID capsules and ballasts. This is the *ONLY* safe and proper way to put HID headlamps on a car not originally so equipped."

Credit to www.danielsternlighting.com
Old 02-04-2004, 12:52 PM

Car Info: 95 Impreza coup, green, 5speed 1.8l awd
if you read about what he says about HIDs he doesnt think they are the best lighting possible

that too much light is thrown directly in front of you and instead of looking 150ft infront of you those 10-15ft is what you will look at, this being the main reason he is against them
Old 02-04-2004, 01:01 PM
VIP Member

The $2000 HID lights for the WRX that do include a full wiring harness and ballast, as he said, are most likely a significant upgrade. However, he doesn't like the quality or color of HID lighting (arc lights produce a narrow color spectrum) and his main point, I think, is that cars with HID lights have the lights designed into the entire geometry of the car -- they point where the driver would be looking, taking into account all of the ergonomics of the passenger compartment. Putting HID lights into mounts that were put on the body in a location to work with non-HID lights would ultimately create a light aiming problem. For instance, you want as *little* light as possible bouncing off the road in front of your car; that's why the super-bright lamps in a lot of trucks and off-road vehicles are mounted on the roof.

Actually, the sharpest critique of all concerning the "tuner" light upgrades that I have heard came from my wife, who is NOT a car person.

She said "I would never buy headlight bulbs that come as a pair."

"Why not?" I asked.

"Because light bulbs do not burn out as a pair."

Think about it.

EDIT: by "tuner" upgrades I mean the $60 Silverstars/Eurovisions/Xenons etc., not HIDs

Last edited by meilers; 02-04-2004 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:14 PM

Just got this from Daniel today:

Quoted w/ permission:

Begin Quote:

Howdy, Peat, Daniel Stern here (note new address)

Hey, I thought I'd let you know the HIR1 bulbs are finally here. These arethe high-zoot replacements for 9005 high beam. Used as OE in Dodge Viper high beams.

The new bulbs are not some tinted or overwattage version of 9005 and 9006, but rather employ a relatively new technology called HIR, Halogen Infrared. The mechanical dimensions of the bulb are all virtually identical to the 9005 and 9006 bulbs, but the bulb glass is spherical instead of tubular, with the sphere centered around the filament. There is a "Durable IR Reflective" coating on the spherical glass. Infrared = heat, so the coating causes heat to be reflected back to the filament at the center of the sphere. This causes the filament to become much hotter (producing more light) than it can by passing electricity through it,
*without* the shorter life or greater heat production that comes with overwattage bulbs (to say nothing of overwattage bulbs' incompatibility with stock wiring.)

Here's the comparison:

Low beam stock: 9006, 12.8V, 55W, 1000 lumens
Low beam new: HIR2, 12.8V, 55W, 1875 lumens

High beam stock: 9005, 12.8V, 65W, 1700 lumens
High beam new: HIR1, 12.8V, 65W, 2530 lumens

So you're looking at nearly 88 percent more light from the low beams and a grand total of 137% more light (49% of which from the high beam units, 88%
of which from the low beams, which remain on with the high beams) on high beam. The beam pattern will not change, but there will be considerably more light within the beam pattern.

These bulbs are spendy - $39/ea - but their cost is worth considering in context: Any number of companies will charge you more than this for a tarted-up 9005 or 9006 with blue colored glass (PIAA comes to mind) that doesn't produce more light and has a very short lifespan.

DS

-----------------------------------------

End quote

I'm going to try a pair of the high beams in our Outback an see what happens. I'll report back

Please keep in mind, these are street legal bulbs but only in headlights originally designed for them, Stern will probably ask you what you're putting them in when you request these bulbs and might not sell them to you if you answer with a vehicle they don't originally fit,so tell him you have a Dodge Viper.

Last edited by Peaty; 02-05-2004 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:27 PM

Peaty you done a great discover but are those light,"HIR,available right now and what is the brandname of those bulb lamps? also what is the hightest K in luminescence?
Where I can find one?

Quick Reply: SilverStar Vs HID