Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

S401 Legacy Exterior Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 07:31 PM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
S401 Legacy Exterior Conversion

I know it would/will be VERY expensive most likely to do this, but I am curious very much anyways.

What parts/how much would you figure it would cost to convert a USDM Legacy Exterior to that of a S401? Here is what I would figure you would need:
-JDM tails
-S401 (I belive it is diffrent than the blitzen) Rear bumper
-S401 (Sold thru. STi Japan...on their website) Sideskirts
-S401 Front bumper
-Foglight's and foglight parts to fit into bumper
-JDM HID headlamps
-S401 Hood/hood scoop
-S401 Front fenders
-JDM clear side turn signal (little round light on fender by driver side door)
-BBS wheels

I have quite a few questions as to the instalation and also, weather it would work. BTW, this would be going on a 2000 Legacy 2.5GT sedan. I have been looking for something to do to the exterior for a long time and well, this has become what I REALLY want to do, weather I can do it right now with my current funds or I will have to wait, as the plan right now is to do the exterior, brakes, and suspension at the same time, all trying to make it seem as much like a true S401 as possible, and also trying to make the car as ready for the performance aspect which will come later. Anyways, here are my questions.
1. On The S401, there is a strip just above the door handle that I cant tell what it does. I know the 2.5GT has a kind of lip there but I am worried that it will not match up from the doors to the fender.
2. There is another more radical indent at about knee level on the S401 that streaches from the front to the back wheel. I dont notice this on the GT, and what causes this? Is it actually in the sheet metal? Or is it just a guard that is placed on top that could be added onto the USDM legacy doors?
3. If these 2 things mentioned above do not work out, then will the JDM headlights fit? I heard from someone that the USDM is a diffrent shape?
I'm sorry if these thoughts are jumbled, and if you dont understand something tell me.
Cheers
-Jeff
Old 01-06-2004, 07:33 PM

Anyone?
Old 01-12-2004, 11:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
You should probably ask over on Nasioc as well. The Legacy people seem to have stayed over there. Also, why wouldn't you consider doing the performance part first? There's a lot more smile factor with more power/handling.

-Brian
Old 01-12-2004, 01:57 PM

Car Info: BH Legacy, white/black
You would also need the front bumper beam and quite possibly the rear, you would need seats, brakes, suspension as they are all different unless you only want the "skin" and not the heart. After that you would get into the engine etc which contains a huge number of extra parts. For JUST the looks you pretty well had it but as said you would need a JDM bumper beam. I'm trying to remember off the top of my head what else it comes with.

The cheapest way to do this would be locky enough to find one with a blown motor or wrecked in some other non-body-harming way and buy the entire car and ship it as a parts car.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:19 PM

Sorry for the lack of explanation, but here we go...

As I said, this would be going onto a MY00 Legacy GT. The car is currently wrecked with front and rear damage, so it needs the parts anyways so this was the best time to do the exterior. As far as finding parts, I found a guy who "says" he has found a wrecked S401 in Japan that rolled, and has not a ton of damage from the pictures. The passenger cabin area is partally smoshed, which is why it was not repaired. Also, the hood, the rear tails, trunk, mirrors, and one of the wheels are copletely dead, plus the right front Suspension. As far as the drivetrain and engine they are fine, in perfect condition. Also, the headlights, rear bumper brakes, and full interior are there. The question now is weather I can scrap together the money for this (though I belive it is a great deal, it still is not cheap) and stand just having all the parts that I cant put on myself sit in storage for a while untill I find the money.

I just hope this guy is not Bull ****ting me, because I am really getting exited. The next question will be, how to fit the engine, as it is the twin-turbo set up which many say will never ever work in a LHD due to the turbo placement. Hopefully I will soon be able to (before I buy this wreck) find a diagram as to the set up of the turbo's, intake and exaust manifolds, and pretty much the location of everything else on the EJ20TT, so if anybody has one it would be much appreciated. More updates soon
Cheers
-jeff
Old 01-13-2004, 01:47 PM

I would love to buy one, but with the amount I will be paying for this wreck it is more worth it this way. Plus, nobody hates 400hp worth of twin turbocharged power

BTW, do you know where you saw this conversion? A link, or just guide to where it was would be great
Old 01-13-2004, 02:04 PM

Car Info: BH Legacy, white/black
The amount of work that will have to go into your car in order to make those parts fit, especially the engine will not be worth the final outcome IMO. If you have money to burn, then I would say it is worth it just for the uniqueness of the vehicle. But you would honestly be better off going to Motorex or the like and paying the big bucks to get them to import a legit one. You will end up not being able to drive this car for a long time and unless you find a shop with some really good knowledge of these cars, or has done this swap before I really think you are going to end up disappointed.

For myself I would save the money and get the new turbo or even wait until 2005 for the twin turbo Legacy Sti...if it comes. Or, I would take the money and buy an R32 Skyline.

If you keep your car I would get an aftermarket bumper and whatever other bodyparts you need, turbo the engine get some good suspension and brakes and go from there.

Your project is a great idea, no question about it, but it is simply not practical unless you have a second car to use and you have heaps of cash for all the headaches you will run into with it.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:54 PM

Yeah I know what you are talking about, but the price on this Wreck is AWESOME, and I already have storage for it untill all the engineering issues can be worked out. Plus, if it does not work I can sell it for more than I bought it for. This is my dream and I have a chance to make it happen so MOst likely I'm gonna do it.

Also, Importing one is not a option. I thought of this but the end cost would be close to 100k and I simply dont have the money. Worst comes to worst with this is I have to find something else to do to the engine, and just use everything else (exterior, interior, drivetrain, I.e. 6speed manual)

Plus I have a 97 GMC Suburban to use in the mean time, untill the work can be finished.
Cheers
-Jeff
Old 01-14-2004, 04:47 PM

Damn, you just burst my bubble

jk

I seriously thought it was 400hp. I read it somewhere I know, but now that I looked it was only 290. Damn. I guess this project idea is over then. For only 290hp it is not worth it. Now i will have to find a diffrent project to work on
CHeers
-Jeff
Old 01-14-2004, 07:13 PM

Yup I saw that not too long ago...
Old 01-15-2004, 10:46 PM

Car Info: 2012 WRX STI spec C (GVBD)
S401 parts list

FYI. S401 parts list is here.

ITEM Unit Price(JPY) QTY
---- --------------- ---
DUCT-AIR INT SET 38,000 1 STI
COVER COLLECTOR 6,500 1 STI
ECU Owner's item 1
STRUT TWR BAR F 20,000 1 STI
PLATE FR SD UPR LH 2,000 1 SUBARU
PLATE FF LWR 2,000 2 SUBARU
STABILIZER F 25,000 1 SUBARU
STABILIZER R 20,000 1 SUBARU
BUSH STABILIZER R 400 2 SUBARU
COIL SPRING F 8,000 2 SUBARU
COIL SPRING R 8,000 2 SUBARU
H/B CABLE AY RH/LH 4,000 R/L SUBARU
BRAKE HOSE SET 36,000 1 STI
BACK PLATE CP RH/LH Owner's item R/L
LEVER RH/LH Owner's item R/L
DISC WHEEL 88,000 4 STI(BBS)
WHEEL CENTER CAP 2,500 4 STI(BBS)
EXH PIPE AY CTR RH Owner's item 1
EXH PIPE AY R Owner's item 1
MUFFLER Owner's item 1
F BUMPER ASSY Owner's item 1
BOLT SET 1,000 1 SUBARU
COV FOG LAMP RH/LH SET 4,000 R/L SUBARU
AIR SCOOP SET Owner's item 1
DUCT HOOD F IN 15,000 1 STI
DUCT HOOD F OUT 16,000 1 STI
GRILLE ASSY F 35,000 1 SUBARU
ORNAMENT F S401 2,500 1 SUBARU
LABEL PRESSURE 100 1 SUBARU
ORNAMENT R S401 2,500 1 SUBARU
ORNAMENT R STI 1,500 1 SUBARU
MAT SET 35,000 1 STI
SD SPOILER RH/LH 30,000 R/L STI
CLIP SET 1,100 2 STI

* Owner's items are sold for only S401 owner.
Please not ask me about detail.

Last edited by b4rsk84; 01-15-2004 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:44 PM

Wow

Quick Reply: S401 Legacy Exterior Conversion