Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

S202 interior trim?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:06 AM

Car Info: nothing right now
just did mine last night and it was super easy. took me about an hour for everything. did 3 coats, used a hairdryer from far away to speed up the drying.

sorry for the washed out pics, tilt pics ftl.

Last edited by juicy; 03-25-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:52 AM

Car Info: STI 2004
any body use plasti dip on the pilars.thinking about doing everthing at once.does it come in a spray or what? looks good!
Old 03-25-2008, 12:45 PM

^ i've seen people do the pillar, looks good. it's super easy to do. it comes in rattle can form, just wipe off the dust and start spraying. just make sure if you decide to use a hairdryer, you don't put it too close or else it'll bubble. but the good thing is, you can just peel it off. what i did was spray a semi light coat on it, dry it, then put on a heavy 2nd coat. after that, you can pretty much do as many as you'd like. what i've read is most people doing 4-5 coats but after 3, i thought it was good enough, so that's what i stuck with. i bought mine at OSH but people say it's available at home depot and lowe's. good luck!
Old 03-25-2008, 03:12 PM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI
nice, I've been looking at all the DIY threads about painting. I shall give this a try in a few weeks. I personally hate the cheese looking silver finish.. gots to go yo.. got to go
Old 03-25-2008, 03:21 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX CGM
Originally Posted by juicy
just did mine last night and it was super easy. took me about an hour for everything. did 3 coats, used a hairdryer from far away to speed up the drying.

Nice man. Any reason why you didn't do your din slot? I'm pretty close to doing this myself.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:21 PM

^ was lazy, haha. i thought it was going to take longer so i didn't yank that part out. i am going to do that tonight.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
just look at how the spring is set in it
Old 03-25-2008, 11:38 PM

Car Info: 2005 Forester X
Originally Posted by juicy

hope to do this soon. I'll come over with another body who wants to do it and we'll get a lesson from you.
OFF TOPIC:
I work for att and hate the tilt. My brother uses it and he doesn't like it. He says google is weird on it; something about not letting him load images correctly.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:20 AM

^ do you have a single din deck in there or using the stock double din?

i would familiarize yourself with taking the center console apart first, the spraying is the easy part.

if i find the tutorials i looked at, i'll post them up but here's the one on plasti-dip: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ght=plasti+dip
Old 03-26-2008, 01:10 AM

soggynoodle's console that we did today, sans hvac controls cuz he wants the jdm stuff with the red dial...

Old 03-26-2008, 01:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
looks sick
Old 03-26-2008, 07:30 AM

Car Info: *WiDe AnD LoW*
that looks awesome..thats what I want mine to look like. I have the avic d3 as well, I just need the jdm hazard button. im guessin you used the plastidip?
Old 03-26-2008, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by so steezy
that looks awesome..thats what I want mine to look like. I have the avic d3 as well, I just need the jdm hazard button. im guessin you used the plastidip?
yup, 1 can is plenty for one car. there's still a little bit left after 2 center consoles and 2 change holders. i want to put a ****load inside the cupholders so they don't rattle when i have soda cans in them.

i picked up my jdm hazard buttom from speedelement.

i'm thinking i will need to do another 2-3 coats for super durability. freaking soggy scratched his yesterday and i had to reshoot it.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:30 AM

Car Info: *WiDe AnD LoW*
what did you have to tape off when you started spraying?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:01 AM

i didn't tape off anything. i would recommend doing one piece at a time instead of laying them all out and spraying them all at the same time.

in order of removal:

shifter trim - unscrew the shiftknob, put your hand into the boot and pull towards you, 45* angle, it should just pop out. unplug the stuff from the back and take off the boot (wrx). sti, you'll have to use allen wrenches to take off the trim piece. ready for spraying.

center piece with the hvac controls - 2 screws at the bottom, and 2 clips on the sides. this part will take some muscles and persistence to take off. nothing to disconnect, once it's off, ready for spraying.

a/c vent - 3 screws on the bottom, you'll see them once the piece around the stereo/hvac controls is out. just pull from the bottom and disconnect from the back. popping out the hazard button is easy too and once the back is disconnected, ready for spraying.

for the spraying, i've said a light first coat but to further elaborate, what i did was once the piece changed from silver to a little black and fully coated, just hit it with a blowdryer from far away, like 4-5 feet and move it around so it doesn't bubble up the rubber. i'd say about 30 secs and you can just touch it with your finger to make sure it's dry. do another 3-4 coats, with the 2nd one being heavier. you won't want to hold the spray on a certain spot long as the color will change. you want to go over left to right, up to down, many, many times. try it first with the ac vent to get a feel of what you're doing since there isn't much of a flat surface that will reflect light easily. so if you eff up, it won't look bad and with plasti-dip, you can always peel it off by rubbing your thumb on it (1 coat, if you did 4-5, not sure how easy it'd be to take it off).

probably missing something but i think i've covered most.

Quick Reply: S202 interior trim?