Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Restore clarity to plastic headlamp lenses

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 11:05 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Restore clarity to plastic headlamp lenses

Use of a plastic polish can remove the oxidation that occurs with polycarbonate (plastic) headlamp lenses from years or months of road use. Washing the car won't remove this oxidation. I used Meguiar's PlastX product and as advertised, it removed oxidation from road grit on my '02 WRX. I spent all of five minutes to achieve this result and did not use the recommended 100% cotton cloth, but it's a good enough improvement for me.

This product will not remove nicks and deep scratches that result from rock chips. Cost is under $8 for a 10 oz bottle at my local Kragen, although I don't know why they charged me that price when Meguiar's lists it online for $4.99. There are similar products on the market and may be found at Griot's Auto Supply online or possibly boat shops.

Before:

After:

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 02-23-2006, 11:11 AM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Thumbs up

That's pretty amazing... just had a friend get his replaced under warraty ('03) for the very same thing. Great tip!
Old 02-23-2006, 11:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 WRX
good tip

any kind of car polish will work though, if you don't feel like buying plastic specific polish
Old 02-23-2006, 01:06 PM

Car Info: 02 PSM Bugeye & Kawasaki Z1000
ive used that product before and it does work, but for some reason the oxidation comes back within a day or two. any suggestions?
Old 02-23-2006, 01:49 PM

Car Info: 2005 impreza rs
Do you think this can be used on the clear plastic that covers the gauges on my dash? It just has a couple of little scratches from cleaning with a dirty rag.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:35 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by flipmode
ive used that product before and it does work, but for some reason the oxidation comes back within a day or two. any suggestions?
If the plastic becomes cloudy that fast after polishing, maybe the lenses come with a hard coating from the factory. Polishing will remove any surface treatment or UV coating, if that's the case. If I find my headlight lenses becoming oxidized quickly, I might try some sort of hard paste wax after polishing. If this doesn't work out for some reason, PlastX can be used to remove the wax!

I Googled but haven't found anything conclusive to protect lenses after polishing.

I don't think I would spray on an acrylic clear coat over plastic lenses. The solvents might react with the plastic and ruin it.

There are also those custom-cut 'clear bra' type plastic film for our headlight lenses. Those might do the trick of keeping the lenses from becoming cloudy again.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush