Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

one of a kind headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 08:43 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX silver
one of a kind headlights

I just finished a one of a kind headlight mod and now I can't get the stupid headlights back in.

Anyone have any tips to get them in?
Old 08-03-2003, 09:47 PM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon
How one of a kind are they? if it involved changing the physical dimensions of the headlight we might need pics

Generic solutions to everything automotive:

If it doesn't quite attatch: use zipties

If it doesn't have provisions for zipties: make some / use adhesive pads

If it doesn't have both but looks like it should fit, but it doesn't: use a mallet and gently POUND it in until it fits.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:24 PM

I got them back in, and "one of a kind" entails blacking out the entire headlight including the reflector but excluding the blinker. And then, inserting projector beams rimmed with "demon eyes" into the blacked out reflector. Looks JDM only they don't have a sticker price of about $700. They're "one of a kind" cause I don't think anyone on the forums has done something like this. All it cost me was about $130 for the materials, and a whole weekend of

I'm still making minor adjustment with the beam pattern adjustments but they look awesome!

I tried posting pics, but I get a message saying the attachment is too big?
Old 08-05-2003, 10:02 PM

Car Info: 08 STI
If you send them to me at paranoid56@aol.com i will host them for you.
Thanks
Shane
Old 08-05-2003, 10:37 PM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon
So what was the problem of getting them back in? you bend the plastic during baking?
Old 08-06-2003, 09:20 PM

I just emailed paranoid56 a couple of pics.

Seraph,
The problem I faced was that the new headlights extended deeper into the engine bay and the HID bulbs were pressing up against a metal bracket on the passenger side and the battery on the driver side. I set the bulb deeper into the assembly and moved the battery further back. After I did that I realized the xenon arc was no longer at the focal point of the projector and my beam was unfocused. I just fixed that tonight and now they are focused and have a decent cutoff. But I have also encountered a new dilemma,... the beam position is a little high. From about ten feet away, the beam is about a foot above the center height of the projector. I have stayed off the road at night for the safety and consideration of other drivers. I will have to think of a solution to adjust the positioning while at work tomorrow and hopefully adjust it properly when I get home.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:50 PM

Car Info: 08 STI
Here you go

Old 08-07-2003, 08:19 PM

Thanks for the props. I am very pleased and excited since I just finished adjusting the positioning and I think I'm FINALLY done.

SLOtownWRX,
The BMW-like "demon" HIDs were actually an entirely custom job. I ordered a McCulloch 9007 HID kit about a year ago and put them in the stock reflector. They were very bright and annoying to oncoming drivers so I decided to get some projectors. I was deeply considering Morettes, after I saw the demon eye Morette mod, but decided to save my money and try something cheaper; that's when the creative juices started flowing.

I ordered some Hella projectors, made a set of demon eyes, and went to work on the stock housing. And after a whole weekend and a few nights of fine tuning I finally get to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

And does anyone know a place around Boston to get an inspection where they would let a vehicle without highbeams slide.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 08-09-2003, 12:26 PM

Around Boston. I travel in, west, and south of Boston regularly. Any place within an hour of Boston would be fine.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 08-12-2003, 11:18 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX sedan (black)
Those lights look great, but there IS another version of that out on the WRX forums.

They are called Koji-style headlights. Originally done by a guy named "Koji" on www.ClubWRX.net a while ago, I have done a great DIY on how to to them on www.WRXFanatics.com

Here are the links for those of you interested in making your stock WRX's look great for real cheap!!

Koji Lights

Justin
Old 08-12-2003, 11:21 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX sedan (black)
Oh yeah, here's a picture of my car with them and a few other mods:
Attached Thumbnails one of a kind headlights-wrx-before-lower-grill.jpg  

Quick Reply: one of a kind headlights