Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

MY03 ignition light mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 12:47 AM

Car Info: RIP: 2000 2.5RS Sedan, BRP Now: 08 WRB WRX Hatch
yah that looks the same as the imprezas from the pics... i would think they are the same size. can't see why not. hmm.... i didn't think about how long it will be lighted... does it stay on longer than the dome lights on the outback? if you can peaty.. can you open the steering cover and check out the wiring and possible follow it and find out where it goes? thanks

Daios (Day-ohhss)
Old 12-04-2002, 04:42 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by Peaty
Just wondering, for you WRX guys with the alarm upgrade, does your dome light come on when you disarm the system or turn off the car like my RS's? It makes it easier to find the keyhole. Light turns off in about 60 sec or when you start the car.
Yes, the disarming the factory alarm activates the dome light for about 30 seconds or so.

--
Wingless Wonder
Old 12-04-2002, 07:37 PM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
Originally posted by Daios
if you can peaty.. can you open the steering cover and check out the wiring and possible follow it and find out where it goes? thanks

Daios (Day-ohhss)
I'll look into it this weekend.
Old 12-07-2002, 09:30 PM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
I checked up on it at a Subaru dealer and they told me that the light was built into the ignition system. This means that you will need to replace the complete ignition system and have the new ignition system be rekeyed to your old key. I think that this setup would take while. Also I am told that Subaru did something to the ignition setup on the 03 WRXs that is different from the 02 WRXs. This means that the STI keys will need to be modified in order for them to work on the 03 cars.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:49 AM

On my 02 WRX, the dome light does come on when you disarm the security system, and it will stay on for some time (I'll time it next time I go for a drive) but immediately start to dim once you open and close the drivers side door. Very useful.

On another issue of lighting, I recently noticed that the DRL don't turn on until you release the parking brake. This is a very smart idea that basically reminds you to turn on your headlights at night. I didn't think about it until I recently drove a Camry, which has DRL that turn on with ignition. I've driven down the road in the dark a number of times not knowing the headlights were off because of them.
Old 12-08-2002, 08:56 AM

I looked at a parts manual and it confirms what ImprezaRSDriver posted. The light ring is intergal to the ignition switch. Seems like it's more trouble that it's worth to add the ring. Not that that has stopped me before. Doing the headlamp washer comes to mind

As far as the DRL's going off w/ the e-brake another reason they did that was if you are at a drive in movie you have to have the key in acc to listen to the radio or have the car running for the heat. Having the lights on would bug people. Mostly the reminder that your DRLs are on and not your headlamps is the fact that it's dark and you can't see the dash board gauges since these don't light with the DRL. And speaking of DRL's I thought it was strange that Subaru uses the low beams. DRL frequently use the high beams set to 45% power so they aren't blinding but can be seen at a greater distance and not aimed low like the low beams. Strange.
Old 12-08-2002, 03:59 PM

Hey, I didn't even think of the drive-thru reason, good call! As for when it's dark, I think it has more to do with the fact that the DRLs/headlights are off making everything in front of your car pitch black, rather than the instrument cluster since many cars (including the 03 sti) have clusters that automatically light up on ignition regardless of headlights, but for the WRX it's just another reason that works

As for the low-beams, doesn't the WRX use the same bulb for low and high? Maybe that has something to do with it. BTW, if it is dual-filament, how do the high beams aim higher than the lows?
Old 12-08-2002, 05:58 PM

The only reference w/ DRL's I have is our 02' Legacy. That has seperate bulbs for high's and lows. Plus the dash is off unless you turn on the headlamps.
Old 12-08-2002, 07:08 PM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
I would imagine that the reason why they put DRLs on the cars was because of safety. And also so that it would be easier to sell one car in two countries. I have also been told that DRLs are going to be required in the US in 2005, but I am not sure about that.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:42 AM

I have also been told that DRLs are going to be required in the US in 2005, but I am not sure about that.
i have heard this to years ago...i thought that date had already passed