Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

JDM rear window w/ wiper ????

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 12:03 PM

Car Info: Blu/Gold STI- JDM rear wiper
JDM rear window w/ wiper ???? W/Pics...

OK.. I've tried other places for some info. So now I will give it a try here!! Also don't know if this is the place for this..
I just installed my JDM rear window with wiper on my 04 STI. I'm looking for some info on the wiring of the motor, wagon wiper stalk and second pump... (The STI does not have the wiring for the second pump).. Anyone over here do this?? Any info would be helpful!!! THANKS
Attached Thumbnails JDM rear window w/ wiper ????-small-pic-window.jpg   JDM rear window w/ wiper ????-2nd-pic-rear-window.jpg  

Last edited by evil-STI; 04-07-2005 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:56 PM

Here's your answer. Good luck.
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3086
Old 04-06-2005, 01:28 PM

One more try for info...
Old 04-07-2005, 12:52 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
THATS SICK!! i always wanted to put the wiper in but it was too expensive for shipping for the glass too

thats teh best write up i have run across

First you need to locate a JDM rear windshield and wiper unit. Make sure that the wiper unit comes with the grey relay that sits about 8 inches down the harness and the 2 rubber gromments that fit between the glass, Also ask for the antenna plug that comes off the glass. The JDM glass has a radio antenna built it. IF not it can be made easily. Washer tubing and pump optional. Places to look are KingPin Performance, Chaste Automotive, and Four Star Motorsports & etc. Average cost is $650 for glass and wiper. Wagon wiper switch $40 from dealer. Pic shows JDM wagon switch-NOT NEEDED.

Before installling the window, take a 2 " diameter hole saw and cut a hole in the rear carpeted deck from inside the trunk. You will see where to cut. There is a hole in the sheet metal on the passenger side. Becareful not to put to much pressure when cutting because you cold bust through the material and hit your rear glass. Next remove and replace your rear window with the new one. I paid $80 at a local shop. Then take the wiper unit and mount it to the top of the inside of the trunk. There are two threaded holes from the factory waiting for the wiper units bracket. One small bracket will have to be fabricated for the single front mounting point. There should be 2 rubber gromments that came with the wiper unit. One goes inside the glass and the other on the outside. Place one inside the car aligned oner the hole with the wider side facing the 3rd brake light. The gap is for the washer hose. Next mount the wiper. Then add the top grommet. It has the washer/sprayer on it. Thread the hose down through the hole in the window and the lower grommet. Now you can tighten the top nut wich sinches the top groommet against the window. Then there is a cone like cosmetic piecs that goes over that, then the wiper and its nut. Then there should be a cosmetic cover for thr final top nut. All this is really easy.

Next is the wiring. The unit can be operated by using a wiper switch out of a 02-04 wagon or you can use two seperate switches. One for on/off operation and one for the washer.
The wiper unit basically has three wires. Yellow with Blue stripe is the ignition/ +12V. Black is the ground and Green with Yellow stripe is the negative input. The wiper unit moves one cycle whenever this sees ground/-/ -12V . So you could use a switch and wire that switch to chassis ground and then to the Greenwith Yellow stripe. The wiper automaticaly returns to the rest position no matter what as long as the Ignition wire is powered.

I recommend using the factory wiper switch/stalk from a wagon. This is very easy. Sedans are wired for this switch and it is a perfect fit. No mods needed. In fact the wiring runs back that way somewhere and the wiring for the washer pump is taped to the fronts washer pump wiring under the hood. All you need to do is get a pump out of a junk yard, or another subaru impreza pump.
I used one out of a 91 talon's hatcback rear bottle. $5 at the yard. Here is a pic of the front washer bottle with the new pump installed. Just drill a hole and pop in the new pump. Pump needs a rubber gromment for tight seal. If you buy new remember that. The added pump is the one on the left. Addind the pump here and not in the back, means you have to run tubing all the way to the rear and not kink it anywhere. I just airlin tubing for fish tanks. The the best, but cheap. $5 for 25feet. I used vacum hose connectors for any need connections.

First remove the bottom plastic cover of the steering column. It just snaps on/off. Then inside and underneath the column there are 2 screws that need to be removed to take the top plastic cover off. Move the top out of the way and remove the 2 screws of the wiper switch and replace it with the new wagons switch. The connectors are the same! On the wiring harness cut the Light Green with Red stripe and connect it to the Green with Yellow stripe of the wiper unit. This is the negative on/off wire from the switch to the wiper. The Yellow with Blue stripe from the wiper uit can be spliced in with the Yellow with Black stripe on the switch harness. This is the ignition input to the switch. Now the 2nd pump connector will work. When connecting the pump, check to make sure the polarity is right and that it IS pumping fluid. It's just a motor, do not worry about which is which, just connect and test. Be sure not to kink the tubing. Ignore the blue/black butt connected wire. That was before I discoverd the space for the pump up front.

Now of course you will have to run 2 wires and 1 tube from the fron to the back or vise versa. However is up to you. I removed the seats in the rear for ease and to avoid kinking the tubing. Here is a pic of the wagon switch for non believers. Simple on/operation with washer on far top and far bottom.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:32 AM

I have that one.... It don't tell me how to wire up the pump and the wires don't match up to my colors... The window , wiper and wagon switch are all in. If I could figure out how to put up pics I would post some....
Old 04-07-2005, 12:56 PM
9 to 5 mod

ok so you have the wires running up to the multi funciton switch but the colours dont match so you want to know what wire goes where correct?

the best way is to power up the switch and push the button with a multi meter and see which wires are related to what funciton then you know what wires to work i dont know if you need a relayor resistor or the time delay relay thing
Old 04-07-2005, 12:57 PM
9 to 5 mod

to post pictures go to manage attachments and upload that will help us out
Old 04-07-2005, 02:32 PM

got them up...Thanks
Old 04-29-2005, 09:05 AM

Wiper is now working.... Now I need to figure out wiring for the second pump....