Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

instrument cluster lighting change

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 04:14 PM

Car Info: RIP: 2000 2.5RS Sedan, BRP Now: 08 WRB WRX Hatch
you can just buy a simple "reverse indiglo guage face" that installs over your stock guage (not sure if they have one that goes with a MY02 non wrx since the tach might be different) another way which I saw other people doing it was buying LEDs and resistors then replacing the tiny bulbs in the guage cluster to blue LEDs. I saw the thread on how to do it in the other club before.. (it was a couple months back)

Daios (Day-ohhss)
Old 01-15-2003, 12:05 AM

don't go with indiglos, you will kill your vision

true, there is a way to swap lights, I haven't done that on GDA but I assume its's similar to older Subarus, so here's what you can do

1.dissasemble cluster
2.DO NOT REMOVE NEEDLES (just in case )
3.take out wires (just remember where what goes)
4.unscrew two different housings (or you will have them all same....don't know) and take out the bulb - if the bulb is in condom read the rest, if not you have green film integrated into dash so forget about this mod

here comes the option
a.get bulbs condoms (will not have very bright colour)
b.prepare to spend 60 bux on new LEDs
c.get some cheap LEDs any colour you like....another outcome:

-if you are lucky you will find 12v LEDs
-if not get some Super Bright LEDs and get resistors for them, hard way....veeery hard (took me an hour to mod one bulb with resistor)

either way you'll have to mod LEDs to make them fit into housing...just cut the legs, insert them so every leg touches it's pole

that's basicaly it....oh, about the green film....it s00ks GC8s and I believe some Subarus that are relatively new have it

feel free to ask any questions
Old 01-15-2003, 10:10 AM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
you say not to get indiglo's...but you can get indiglos...just get the right kind...there are reverse indiglos and regular indiglos...the reverse will give him the same effect...actually it will be a little brighter...I have them on my car actually and they look pretty nice.

Roger..I dont know where u are located..but if you are in the bay area u are most welcome to take a look at my setup..
-Zoeb
Old 01-15-2003, 10:36 AM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
If i get a picture anytime soon i will post it here for u..
-Zoeb
Old 01-15-2003, 01:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan
i did the LED swap on my old civic, changed everything to blue, even the clock. it looked real nice but it wasn't easy. had to do it the hard way with resistors and everything. god what a pain...
Old 01-15-2003, 03:04 PM

yes, you can paint the bulbs....cheap way indeed, but is it worth?...moreover you'd have to find some high quality water based paint that is heat resistant....oh, it won't be bright as well (I tried that way as well)
Old 02-23-2003, 01:32 PM

i just put mine in. it was a b@tch. I didnt know i had to glow or tape the gauge onto the stock on. I realized that when the needle was sticking at 80 and wouldnt go down. lol. so finally i tapped it. But the hard part is wiring them. Where do they wire to. I have a red and a black wire and a switch to mount. I am going to mount them right underneath the fuse box under the steering wheel. But how do i wire? Please help. No instruction was sent from http://www.procarparts.com. Dont go there. They have horrible service and slow shippment.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:49 PM

i have a 2003 WRX. will this matter? So i just wire the red to the side marker and the black wire to the ground?
Old 02-26-2003, 05:53 PM

heres the link that shows you hot to do them. But remember, what they forgot to tell us is that you have to some how tape the aftermarket gague to the stock one. I used double sided tape. Other people told me to use rubber cement. But i think double sided tape did the trick. It is really annoying to see your gauge stick at 80mph when you are only doing like 25mph.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:54 PM

oops forgot the link ;-) http://www.redlinezone.com/install/installgauges.htm

Quick Reply: instrument cluster lighting change