Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

illumination problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 12:11 PM

illumination problem

got a 97 impreza, took out the stock radio to put in a cd player.

afterwards, my dash illumination was gone, as well as my climate control and gear selection illumination.

the fuse under the dash is fine. i've checked it eleventybillion times. is there a fuse in the main relay box in the engine compartment?

if the problem is not a blown fuse, is it the illumination control module? if so wouldn't my dome light stop working when i open my door?
Old 05-06-2004, 04:24 PM

check all the wirings for your CD player, cause the illumination wire might be shorted, and cause the failure.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '99 Impreza OBS
in '99 (im assuming its pretty similar) theres a fuse in the engine relay box. I accidently blew it uninstalling my old radio. look in the owners manual (if u have it) it tells u wat the fuses are, c if u can find it. If it is this fuse, no lights in ur car, or the radio will work which appears not to be the case. Is this the case? Another idea is that u accidently unplugged or disconnected the illumination wires.

What exactly/all isn't working? just lights backlights on gauges and HVAC that go on with light? cigaret lighter hav power? Did u try turning up the brightness of them and stuff?
Old 05-07-2004, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by kravdra
in '99 (im assuming its pretty similar) theres a fuse in the engine relay box. I accidently blew it uninstalling my old radio. look in the owners manual (if u have it) it tells u wat the fuses are, c if u can find it. If it is this fuse, no lights in ur car, or the radio will work which appears not to be the case. Is this the case? Another idea is that u accidently unplugged or disconnected the illumination wires.

What exactly/all isn't working? just lights backlights on gauges and HVAC that go on with light? cigaret lighter hav power? Did u try turning up the brightness of them and stuff?

radio works and lights up(it's an alpine cd player).
cigarette lighter works because that's how i charge my phone.
gear selection lights DO NOT work.(automatic)
climate control lights DO NOT work.
dash lights DO NOT work, however, if i hit my brights, turn signals, parking brake, hazards, rear defogger, these lights come up on in the instrument cluster.
dome light comes on when switched or a door is opened, which leads me to think that it's not due to a blown Illumination control module(if i remember correctly that runs through there too.)

the dimmer has no effect.

took a look at it just a second ago and yeah the illumination wires that ran into the old radio are disconnected, but there's no place for them in the new radio..
Old 05-07-2004, 03:46 PM

and no i don't have an owners manual.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '99 Impreza OBS
Thats really wierd, I looked at the wiring diagrams in the service manual (its a worthless piece of crap and a waste of 200) and have no more ideas. but its also for an 00 not a 97. My old radio (i got the car with an alpine but replaced it) didn't use a illumination wire and it still worked fine. I'd make sure that the loose elimination wire isn't touching any metal (id wrap it in electrical tape). that also goes for any other loose wire, make sure thy don't go to anything. Then if that doesn't work, I'd try looking to make sure every fuse in the inner fuse box isn't blown then do the same for the fuses in the engine compartment (it shouldn't take more than a few minutes) Aside from that I have no ideas, sorry. Good luck, and when you find what's causing it, let us know.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:14 PM

holy old post bump, batman.

update: it was the illumination control module, i got one for $1 at the local pullapart.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:34 AM

Car Info: 1995 Legacy LS
where is the illum. mod located?