Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

How to wire HID headlights to WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 07:12 PM

Car Info: AWD - Driven by what's inside
How to wire HID headlights to WRX?

Does anyone know how to wire 04/05 STi HID headlights to non-HID WRX? I want to know the wiring to the headlights and leveling switch.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:07 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon
Talking source for P-n-P HID connectors

best (i.e., easiest) bet is to go to http://chaiofangimports.com/

He makes a complete P-n-P setup. He sells just the headlight connectors or a whole setup to wire the leveling switch, too. Top quality (but not inexpensive).

He's pretty (very) busy, so ask him a time frame b/c it can be a wait- but well worth it and he's very nice to deal with.

Made the conversion a no-brainer. Install is fairly easy. Swapping lamps takes 15 min. Wiring lamps takes 2 minutes. Wiring leveling switch took a couple hours- time spent upside down under the dash and such. Whole thing came with almost idiot-proof instruction sheet (almost). Running the wires through the firewall can be a trick. You have to do it from engine side, but tough to reach up from dash side.

HINT: I popped the rubber gasket out of the firewall, first. Then I cut an "X" in it just big enough to feed the wire-loom through. I then slid the gasket along the wire-loom and "pre-positioned" it at the appropriate distance. It made it much easier to feed/pull the wire-loom through the firewall and then just work the gasket into place at the end, as it fed into the opening in the firewall.

Additional suggestion: When you route the wires to leveling motors through the engine compartment there is PLENTY of length if you route them down low (and away from heat sources). It looks very clean, but I had to re-route mine after the initial placement b/c by then, it became obvious where it needed to go.

George put a lot of work into developing these pieces and it saves a LOT of head scratching. Leveling switch worked perfectly 1st time.

Another suggestion: when you use the "fuse-adder" you have to replace BOTH fuses (the new one for the switch and the original 15A parking light fuse). I couldn't figure out why my switch worked but my parking lights did not after the install. 30 minutes of "testing" b4 the idea that perhaps BOTH fuses were needed!

hope this helps. Figuring out all the correct wiring and getting the connectors on your own would be a real headache.

BTW- the HIDs have excellent light output. Significant improvement over halogen OEM. Only issue I have is that I bought JDM STi lamps and they DO have a RHD beam pattern. However, I use the leveling switch to find the best adjustment and I rarely get complaints.

norm

Last edited by DrNorm; 12-17-2005 at 11:50 PM. Reason: found url