Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

hoodscoop

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 03:32 PM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
The scoop is functional compared to mine on the 2.5RS.. If you want to try it, go ahead and see what happens. Less air going to the intercooler means the air traveling through the intercooler is cooled less. Less expansion in the chamber during combustion, less bang and well... You should get the rest..

The wing.. Well... not so functional. It does provide downforce since the wing tall enough that it is in the area of the back of the car where the air isn't stagnant.. But weight and pressure drag play a bigger role in the performance of the car at lower speeds. Do you plan to drive 60-75 though the residential district of your town?

my 0.02$,
Tim
Old 12-12-2003, 09:37 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Originally posted by o4wrxSTi
can you just simply swap the sti hood with a wrx one? or even simpler... can you simply wap the sti hoodscoop with the wrx one?
Just swap the scoop.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:47 AM

Car Info: Sold my 05 Evo...Carless for a while...then 05' WRB STi whenever lol :(
the scoop gives it that aurora of dont mess with me or ill eat you alive

ok maybe not but i cant imagine the STi with a smaller scoop or without one
Old 12-15-2003, 04:08 PM

the japanese STi has a smaller wing, but i like large wings
Old 12-16-2003, 10:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
The current Japanese model has the big wing too now. Only the first gen GDB had the standard wing, and the Prodrive edition had the big wing. I personally like the STi wing, but if it doesn't suit you go barter it off for a wingless or WRX wing trunk.
Your gripe about the hoodscoop is illegitimate, though, IMHO. It is truly a functional piece and serves the vital purpose of cycling air into the intercooler. Tack on a smaller one, it'll be like breathing through a straw while running laps. Remove the scoop completely and it's like putting a piece of duct tape over your mouth!
As for front mount intercoolers (FMIC), be prepared to make many adjustments and spend wads of cash. FMIC's often increase turbo lag unless you need the higher cooling capacity for a bigger turbo. This is due to its longer, more convoluted piping, particularly on Imprezas. 2nd, FMIC's are quite expensive, and many buyers with improperly tuned Impezas end up very unhappy with their results: often a less driveable, sluggish car for daily use due to increased turbo lag. 3rd, FMIC's scream highly modified, FAST car, even if its not the case in the example above. Everyone w/ 2 cents of car knowledge will know your scoop is stock, and they will also know that the FMIC symbolizes heavy tuning (for proper use, otherwise it's slug city). Thus, a FMIC is even gaudier than the stock scoop. It'd take someone blind not to notice an FMIC, and only someone who knows nothing about cars (or a complete moron) would mistake it for a grill or radiator. 4th, the reverse hoodscoop a la Aqua FSP is effective only with an FMIC. Use it with the stock top mount, and you create suction that pulls air OUT of your intercooler, turbo, and engine -- most definitely not good.
Thus, unless you intend to do some heavy-duty tuning and modification, stick to the stock scoop. Don't waste your car, money, time, or the STi's potential and reputation.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:51 PM
VIP Member

Also, someone mentioned that a FMIC can't be seen from the front. That doesn't really matter since the STi is easy to recognize, even w/o the wing and/or scoop. So they know it's a fast car anyway. They'll probably check it out. What'll they notice? That juicy FMIC inside your front airdam. Congrats, you've just attracted unwanted attention to yourself
Seriously, if you have so many gripes about the STi, why even get one? Might as well take the money and get an Acura TSX or Lexus IS300
Old 12-16-2003, 10:52 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Get a FMIC and use unscooped hood.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:11 AM

Car Info: 04 Java Black Sedan
I remember working on my Talon once in the garage. I had the front bumper off making some braces for my FMIC. My mom walked out and said "Oh, I like that grill. Why is it so big?" Then went back in the house.

Here are some pics of the intercooler she was looking at. http://members.cardomain.com/tiburonpower
Old 12-18-2003, 01:54 PM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon
Originally posted by Choku Dori
Also, someone mentioned that a FMIC can't be seen from the front. That doesn't really matter since the STi is easy to recognize, even w/o the wing and/or scoop. So they know it's a fast car anyway. They'll probably check it out. What'll they notice? That juicy FMIC inside your front airdam. Congrats, you've just attracted unwanted attention to yourself
Seriously, if you have so many gripes about the STi, why even get one? Might as well take the money and get an Acura TSX or Lexus IS300
Put body color matched mesh on the underside of the hood where the scoop is, get i-mac clear scoop

Problem solved
Old 12-18-2003, 04:15 PM
VIP Member

Yeah, people will probably mistake it for a Lancer Evo then
Hey why didn't this occur to me before? Just pluck off the scoop and leave a gaping hole in the hood. Or even better, stick fake chrome carbeurators out of the hood hole Hot Rod style
:banana:
Old 12-24-2003, 12:42 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 White GDB
04wrxsti, you got pm

Quick Reply: hoodscoop