Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

hoodscoop

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 02:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: E28M5, RAM Powerwagon, Motos
Sell the car...

J/K

The hoodscoop and spoiler are both functional. They both serve a purpose. That big hood scoop funnels a big amount of air to the intercooler. Do you want to take away from that? The STI spoiler creates usable downforce. I don't know about you, but I have bought my subaru's for everything but their looks. They are unique, and they definitely grow on you.

my $0.02
Old 12-04-2003, 04:13 PM

Car Info: 02' WRX
if you take of the hood scoop you've essentially removed you're intercooler as it will no longer function. Hello waste of a good car.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
If you don't like the STi hood scoop I guess you could interchange it with a WRX scoop. As was said before me Subaru has everything in that car for performance. The wing is definatly for downforce (I don't know at what speeds) but if you dont like the look then change it. Your car but it does have a look that everyone will see coming. Good luck.

WRX Rush
Old 12-04-2003, 04:22 PM

Is this a joke? The hoodscoop feeds air to the intercooler. You could go for a smaller hoodscoop - but you would lose airflow...
Old 12-04-2003, 07:52 PM

If the hoodscoop bothers you, you could go with the 04 WRX hoodscoop but I wouldn't go any smaller than that. The oversized hoodscoop is probably one of the most functional pieces on the exterior of the STi. Yes you could go with the front mount intercooler, but that's easier said than done. If you're willing to tackle such a task, be willing to shell out AT LEAST $1000 and be also willing to do custom front bumper trimming to accommodate size of the core....big price to pay just because you don't like the stock STi hoodscoop. There are probably alternative hoodscoops for the STi in the works so you could always wait and see. If all else fails, I say suck it up and leave it, but that's just me.

-STiLL

Last edited by STiLL WILL; 12-04-2003 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:53 AM

Thumbs down

You sound like you bought the wrong car may I suggest a honda civic, no hood scoop or wing to bother u...
Old 12-05-2003, 07:17 AM

Car Info: Blue STi +Red del Sol VTEC
Re: hoodscoop

Originally posted by o4wrxSTi
anyone here take out the hood scoop and replace it with something more tasteful? i'm not a hater/flamer/troll. i love the sti. been obsessed with it for quite a while. just the hood scoop and wing aint for me. i can stand the wing cuz it's modeled after the rally wing, but the scoop is just too much. are there any alternatives to the monster hood scoop?
Sounds like you don't have an STi so why do you car. You obviously don't have the car because you wouldn't say i'm not a hater/flamer/troll if you had the car.

Non owners should keep gay comments to themselves.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by arctb76
No, I wasn't joking, I just said he could replace the intercooler with one that mounts at the front of the car, that way he could use a flat hood without the scoop, waste of a car, no I think not, he still has all the power and speed, it is just less flashy. The sleeper look carries more weight with some of us. Not everyone wants to scream look at me I am fast, we would rather drive fast cars that are more sedate.
Firstly, I wasn't referring to you, but the starter of this thread. And secondly a FMIC SCREAMS I'm fast much more than a hood scoop.

He's not talking about going for a 'sleeper look', like painting the FMIC black and placing it behind a grill, he just doesn't like the hood scoop. Want's to remove it. Doesn't realize it's functional. I know all about sleeper, I drive a wagon.

Quick Reply: hoodscoop